+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2010 Play off semi

Re: 2010 Play off semi

didn't realise till now that Chops was offside when he won the pen.
    But we should have had a pen later on.
    Swings and roundabouts.

If we had played like that for the whole final I think we'd have beaten Blackpool...
    or if Bothroyd hadn't gone off injured...
    or if...

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    When Burke is at his worst? Or does he get to be at his best too?
    Both at their best I believe Hoillet is the better all round footballer.

Not much in it though.

Quote Originally Posted by billy.ronson View Post
    Me too !
    And me.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    And me.
    Same.

In my opinion, a squad with the 09/10 team's ability and the current lots attitude would win promotion from the Championship most seasons. The 09/10 side was a bit flat track bullyish though. While it's difficult to imagine the 19/20 squad going 4-0 up in any game, I'm certain that they wouldn't end up drawing it like the side from ten years ago did against the team which finished bottom of the league that year when they went from four up at Peterborough to four all, they also lost at home to relegated Plymouth.

Quote Originally Posted by mrbluejay View Post
    Me as well, it still astounds me how little credit/recognition McPhail gets, he was an outstanding footballer.
    McPhail had one of the best footballing minds of all the players I've seen over the years down the City. Rarely chose the wrong option and one of those players who was always able to create a little bit extra time and space for himself.
    Better than any of the current squad in that position.

In my opinion, a squad with the 09/10 team's ability and the current lots attitude would win promotion from the Championship most seasons. The 09/10 side was a bit flat track bullyish though. While it's difficult to imagine the 19/20 squad going 4-0 up in any game, I'm certain that they wouldn't end up drawing it like the side from ten years ago did against the team which finished bottom of the league that year when they went from four up at Peterborough to four all, they also lost at home to relegated Plymouth.
    Exactly. The 14 losses illustrate that perfectly.

Peterborough like to turn us over.

When they got relegated and Malkys team won the Championship they did the double over us.

The 4 all game was pathetic though.

Wasn't it you who coined that phrase for that side - flat track bullies?

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    Overall I might agree with you, but the Burke of 2009/10 was just a bit better than anything I've seen of Hoilett over a period of time. Certainly more consistent. I'd say the Burke of 2009/10 and the Hoilett of 2017/18 would be pretty hard to split.
    Fair enough.

Your post about that midfield 4 got me thinking. It looked quite lightweight but creative. That season that midfield 4 played together 5 times in the league, though McPhail went off injured early in one of those. We won all 4 of those where the 4 played at least a full first half.

Reading (a) W 1-0
    Coventry (h) W 2-0
    Sheff Utd (a) W 4-3
    QPR (a) W 1-0
    Leicester (a) W 1-0
    Leicester (h) L 2-3
    Blackpool (n) L 2-3

5 wins out of 7 was pretty decent. Interesting that we kept 4 clean sheets but conceded 3 in each of the other 3. 13 goals scored in 7 games but 9 conceded wasn't so good.

It would have been interesting had Jones continued with that. McPhail's injuries that season prevented that, of course, but it might have been a decent ploy to put Rae or another defensive midfielder in when we played a midfield 5 and dropped Chopra.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Fair enough.

Your post about that midfield 4 got me thinking. It looked quite lightweight but creative. That season that midfield 4 played together 5 times in the league, though McPhail went off injured early in one of those. We won all 4 of those where the 4 played at least a full first half.

Reading (a) W 1-0
    Coventry (h) W 2-0
    Sheff Utd (a) W 4-3
    QPR (a) W 1-0
    Leicester (a) W 1-0
    Leicester (h) L 2-3
    Blackpool (n) L 2-3

5 wins out of 7 was pretty decent. Interesting that we kept 4 clean sheets but conceded 3 in each of the other 3. 13 goals scored in 7 games but 9 conceded wasn't so good.

It would have been interesting had Jones continued with that. McPhail's injuries that season prevented that, of course, but it might have been a decent ploy to put Rae or another defensive midfielder in when we played a midfield 5 and dropped Chopra.
    With Bothroyd injured we should have gone with 3 central midfielders in that final.

McCormack could have been in the line up wide along with Burke. Whitts Mcphail Ledley woud still have been a bit too lightweight for Blackpools 3 but im sure would have been better than what happened in the final.

Jones was too one dimensional.

A horrible day that final.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    With Bothroyd injured we should have gone with 3 central midfielders in that final.

McCormack could have been in the line up wide along with Burke. Whitts Mcphail Ledley woud still have been a bit too lightweight for Blackpools 3 but im sure would have been better than what happened in the final.

A horrible day that final.
    I've always avoided looking at that final for obvious reasons. What is amazing is that he picked a pretty fluid, attacking midfield of players who were all comfortable on the ball and were good passers, yet chose to launch long balls out of defence because this midfield was outnumbered.

If someone with a bit of nous could have taken over that side after that playoff defeat, we'd have won automatic the following season with the players we had.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post

Absolutely this ^^^

Yes we played some good stuff at times and had good players but our team performances and the performances of those of the players were either very good or very average.

I've heard many waxing lyrical about DJ's wonderful football, but to achieve success in football you need more than one strategy.
    Holloway did a job on Jones in that final, we were overrun in MF.

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    Yes we played some good stuff at times and had good players but our team performances and the performances of those of the players were either very good or very average.
    Of course the team had its flaws and of course the manager had his flaws, but one thing that I think rarely gets acknowledged when these sorts of conversations take place is just how cheaply the side was put together, both at the time and in relative terms by comparison to recent squads.

Watching that game again today was a genuine pleasure. I'd never seen anything but brief highlights of it before. To watch the whole 90 minutes, extra time and penalties was great fun. As I've already said earlier in the thread, some of the team's control, passing, speed of movement and speed of thought was truly brilliant by comparison to what we've got used to seeing from City in recent years. Bothroyd was especially good, but the likes of Chopra, Burke, Whittingham and McPhail also looked truly outstanding by Championship standards. And that was during a game the side lost 3-2!

Of course the team had its flaws and of course the manager had his flaws, but one thing that I think rarely gets acknowledged when these sorts of conversations take place is just how cheaply the side was put together, both at the time and in relative terms by comparison to recent squads.

Watching that game again today was a genuine pleasure. I'd never seen anything but brief highlights of it before. To watch the whole 90 minutes, extra time and penalties was great fun. As I've already said earlier in the thread, some of the team's control, passing, speed of movement and speed of thought was truly brilliant by comparison to what we've got used to seeing from City in recent years. Bothroyd was especially good, but the likes of Chopra, Burke, Whittingham and McPhail also looked truly outstanding by Championship standards. And that was during a game the side lost 3-2!
    I think and correct me if I am wrong , that we had a massive wage bill under Jones and he , possibly as much as warnock , preferred older experienced players to youth . We didn't make many big money signings under Jones but considering our income we were shelling out wages well above what was coming in .

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    I think and correct me if I am wrong , that we had a massive wage bill under Jones and he , possibly as much as warnock , preferred older experienced players to youth . We didn't make many big money signings under Jones but considering our income we were shelling out wages well above what was coming in .
    Peter Ridsdale confirmed as much once in a radio interview, where he said he and Jones decided on an approach of paying little in transfer fees in order to have a larger wage bill which might attract some better free transfers.

Where did we get chopra from again? Jay was free from wolves wasn’t he? That team probably cost less than Gary madine....

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    Where did we get chopra from again? Jay was free from wolves wasn’t he? That team probably cost less than Gary madine....
    By then we'd paid Sunderland the £4 million they'd paid us for him. Jay wasn't wanted by Wolves after a disappointing stint there.

With the Chopra transfer, it's probably close. Without it, it isn't.

Ultimately the team was put together from freebies and misfits by offering them good wages to perform. They failed to get us promoted, regardless of the entertainment.

Peter Ridsdale confirmed as much once in a radio interview, where he said he and Jones decided on an approach of paying little in transfer fees in order to have a larger wage bill which might attract some better free transfers.
    Ricky Simicea was a quality player , box to box midfielder

His follow up goal at Palace after chopra had hit the bar was great anticipation

He was worth his wages , whatever they were

Ricky Simicea was a quality player , box to box midfielder

His follow up goal at Palace after chopra had hit the bar was great anticipation

He was worth his wages , whatever they were
    Probably not great as he was out of favour.

I remember not being the greatest fan of his when he signed. I didn't think he would do much for us given his previous appearances, particularly at Villa. Apparently he told Jones he wanted to be a box to box midfielder and Jones told him to do it. We had a great few months from him. Even West Brom fans were asking why he never performed for them like he did for us.

Sadly it was short lived and we finished in the bottom half.

I think and correct me if I am wrong , that we had a massive wage bill under Jones
    You're wrong.

That was the strategy, but to describe the wage bill as massive is inaccurate by Championship standards at the time. The wage bill that year was £16.7 million and the operating loss was under a million. The main problem was the club didn't have a rich backer and had no way to service its mounting debts.

Compare those figures to the recent Warnock promotion season, when the wage bill was more than £48 million and the operating loss was £34 million.

That was the strategy, but to describe the wage bill as massive is inaccurate by Championship standards at the time. The wage bill that year was £16.7 million and the operating loss was under a million. The main problem was the club didn't have a rich backer and had no way to service its mounting debts.

Compare those figures to the recent Warnock promotion season, when the wage bill was more than £48 million and the operating loss was £34 million.
    What was the average championship wage then though? We we up there? Clearly, it’s ridiculous now mind.

It was still one of the highest wage bills in the division at the time.

The staggering stat for me in this is how much the Championship wage bill has risen in a decade.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    McPhail had one of the best footballing minds of all the players I've seen over the years down the City. Rarely chose the wrong option and one of those players who was always able to create a little bit extra time and space for himself.
    Better than any of the current squad in that position.
    Agree with this, wouldn't put any of our current midfielders in the team ahead of McPhail.