+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: One For The Music Buffs-Tribute Bands.

One For The Music Buffs-Tribute Bands.

I was walking through the City Centre yesterday and noticed a poster outside St Davids hall, advertising something called 'The Bowie Collective' I checked them out on Youtube and i was surprised at how good they sounded. Now, i'm not into music and bands specifically like some on here, i find obsessing over a bass player named Pete or Steve from Nantwich slightly disconcerting, although each to their own and all that.... My question is this-Are Tribute acts, however talented and close to the original, frowned upon? The only way i can compare it is to that of watching another club pretending to be CCFC (not a great comparison) I just couldn't do it.

Re: One For The Music Buffs-Tribute Bands.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    I was walking through the City Centre yesterday and noticed a poster outside St Davids hall, advertising something called 'The Bowie Collective' I checked them out on Youtube and i was surprised at how good they sounded. Now, i'm not into music and bands specifically like some on here, i find obsessing over a bass player named Pete or Steve from Nantwich slightly disconcerting, although each to their own and all that.... My question is this-Are Tribute acts, however talented and close to the original, frowned upon? The only way i can compare it is to that of watching another club pretending to be CCFC (not a great comparison) I just couldn't do it.
    it depends on how good they are

Children Of The Gravy , A Sabbath Tribute Band from Bridgend are not only very funny , they are note perfect

Dressed to kill, a Kiss tribute bans are spot on

I have seen a led zep tribute band and a thin lizzy tribute band , Limehouse lizzy , who were superb

Other tribute bands I have seen have been dreadful

Dressed to kill were the best , not only were they note for note spot on , the singing was great but they looked like the band

I love a good tribute band, but there’s a lot of snobbery about them.

I love the fact they can play some obscure album that the real band would never play.

And musically they’re just as good as the real thing.

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    it depends on how good they are

Children Of The Gravy , A Sabbath Tribute Band from Bridgend are not only very funny , they are note perfect

Dressed to kill, a Kiss tribute bans are spot on

I have seen a led zep tribute band and a thin lizzy tribute band , Limehouse lizzy , who were superb

Other tribute bands I have seen have been dreadful

Dressed to kill were the best , not only were they note for note spot on , the singing was great but they looked like the band
    T Rextasy
    bjorn again
    counterfeit stones
    all good..
    Australian pink floyd
    clitoris allsorts
    billy the ****
    count ****ula

Quote Originally Posted by Banc Blue View Post
    I love a good tribute band, but there’s a lot of snobbery about them.

I love the fact they can play some obscure album that the real band would never play.

And musically they’re just as good as the real thing.
    That's what i was angling towards, the snobbery towards Tribute bands or maybe fans of a certain artist being really puerile-or maybe they feel that the real thing shouldn't be played with in any way, shape or form.

That's what i was angling towards, the snobbery towards Tribute bands or maybe fans of a certain artist being really puerile-or maybe they feel that the real thing shouldn't be played with in any way, shape or form.
    I couldn't watch a tool tribute band , they are so technical and unique

ACDC ........straight forward heavy blues rock riffing ........ten to a penny .......fine for a good night out

Watch them for what they are.... a bit of fun, nostalgia and escapism

Quote Originally Posted by StraightOuttaCanton View Post
    So not taken as seriously as the real thing-even if they're fantastic musicians? I suppose when something successful that worked first time round is being copied then it must be difficult to take it that seriously. Then again, has anyone seen a tribute band that are better than the real thing?

unless they look and sound nothing like the band then its time to feck off home

So not taken as seriously as the real thing-even if they're fantastic musicians? I suppose when something successful that worked first time round is being copied then it must be difficult to take it that seriously. Then again, has anyone seen a tribute band that are better than the real thing?
    my mate who is a big Floyd fan ......reckons the Australian pink Floyd are better

I don't like pink floyd so I can't comment

my mate who is a big Floyd fan ......reckons the Australian pink Floyd are better

I don't like pink floyd so I can't comment
    I don't like Floyd, although i've heard that the Australian version are supposed to be very good.

The Small Fakers are a great night out.

Agreed. Seen the smyths in the globe 2/3 times - each time a good night

Quote Originally Posted by Whisperer View Post
    The Small Fakers are a great night out.
    Yes they are.However, I saw them at The Globe the week Ian McLagan died.
    There was no mention of this by the band.I thought that was ****ing strange.
    Cast off Kinks were a good band,The singer didn't mimic Ray Davies they were professional but not to serious.

ELVANA are funny

Nirvana sung by elvis presley tribute singer

Dread Zeppelin

Led Zep , in an elvis style

I think they are flecking hilarious

saw the bootleg Beatles when I was in uni and they put on a really good show

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    heard a lot of good things about them

Seen them a few times. Very good.

Also seen them a few times and they are incredible.

They are probably the one tribute band who are better than the real thing, as said above, but because of circumstance. The Beatles stopped touring halfway through the 60s so the Bootleg Beatles play songs never heard live. And seeing the Beatles live seems to have been pretty pointless after about 1964 as it was just thousands of screaming girls who were louder than the PA system

ELVANA are funny

Nirvana sung by elvis presley tribute singer
    He keeps going out of character though. It's a genius idea. But the main man can't pull it off.

Check out the Analogues. The play Beatles songs that the Beatles never played live, using only 60s instruments that were available to the Beatles at the time their records were made.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yk9CXWytnHE

****ing top notch. Listen to the tones and the harmonies. In the right venue, I would play good money to see them.

I must be a snob then because I have no interest whatsoever in tribute bands - it's not I can't stand them, but, for me, it's like going to see a load of parks footballers in, say, a Wales kit trying to recreate what happened in France 2016.

Yes, I accept it would probably be easy to shoot my opinion full of holes, but I can't help the way I feel.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    Check out the Analogues. The play Beatles songs that the Beatles never played live, using only 60s instruments that were available to the Beatles at the time their records were made.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yk9CXWytnHE

****ing top notch. Listen to the tones and the harmonies. In the right venue, I would play good money to see them.
    ...me too..think they've pplayed a couple of gigs over here