+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: OGS

Re: OGS

Quote Originally Posted by SunderlandBluebird View Post
    I’m not judging him on his time at Cardiff, everyone knows that was shocking.

I agree he’s done well to create a better “atmosphere” at the club etc but I think you’re giving him a bit too much credit for merely finishing in the CL places whilst dismissing Mourinho‘s 2 seasons where he finished 2nd, won a League Cup, won a Europa League and got to an FA Cup final.

United were sixth when JM left and in a bit of a mess, and small improvements have been made since to get Pogba etc on side and give more game time to Rashford, Greenwood etc - but he’s hardly setting the world alight with one top 4 finish to his name.

Anyway, I’m not going to spend all day arguing whether he’s a good manager. Time will tell but if I was a Man City or Liverpool fan I’d be delighted they’re sticking with him.
    With your fawning over Klopp and Liverpools net spend to go with your OGS bashing you sound like you are already a Liverpool fan.

manager in working with player in training ground shock.

Greenwood has been tipped for stardom for years, and has all the tools of a great player, he’s not an unknown gem discovered by OGS.
    Would JM be playing him if he was still in charge? Would he bollocks. To say JM left United in a "bit of a mess" is a huge under statement. The club was toxic by the time he left.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    I've jst looked at some figures, when he took over they were in 6th and 11 points adrift of a champions league spot.

From then until the end of the season they were the third best side in the league after Man City and Liverpool.

This season they've been the third best side in the division after man city and liverpool.

Those two are still a way out in front, but if he closes the gap o one or both then I can see them keeping him.
    He took over a really good squad that was grossly under-performing.
    his instant success with that squad was due almost entirely to him not being Jose.

manager in working with player in training ground shock.

Greenwood has been tipped for stardom for years, and has all the tools of a great player, he’s not an unknown gem discovered by OGS.
    if mourihnio was still.there he wouldn't have had a single minute though

Quote Originally Posted by bobh View Post
    He took over a really good squad that was grossly under-performing.
    his instant success with that squad was due almost entirely to him not being Jose.
    Since he took over there he's amassed the third most points in the league.
    Liverpool and Man City have the most and have clearly better squads.

They've done better than Chelsea over the same period and I would argue that Chelsea have a better squad.

Since he took over there he's amassed the third most points in the league.
    Liverpool and Man City have the most and have clearly better squads.

They've done better than Chelsea over the same period and I would argue that Chelsea have a better squad.
    He’s probably got the third best squad at his disposal though

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    He’s probably got the third best squad at his disposal though
    I think probably the 4th best.
    I'd say he's done about par, whilst blooding a lot of youngsters and improving their style of play.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    With your fawning over Klopp and Liverpools net spend to go with your OGS bashing you sound like you are already a Liverpool fan.
    Not at all, stating Pep and Klopp have done a much better job then there'll be a lot of Liverpool and Man City fans around

if mourihnio was still.there he wouldn't have had a single minute though
    Yeah, Mourinho has a shocking track record for playing youngsters, no arguments there.

At the start of the 2019/20 campaign, Ole was joint favourite with Steve Bruce to be the first Premier League manager sacked. He saw out the season comfortably, as did Bruce.

All of the major bookmakers and most of the top pundits believed Liverpool and Man City would be streets ahead of the rest during 2019/20, which they were. The bookies believed Man Utd would finish fifth, while most of the top pundits predicted they'd finish fifth or sixth. They finished third.

All things considered, I reckon OGS did alright last season. 2020/21 is going to be a major test for him and his players, but I'd say he's done OK so far and certainly better than many people expected.

At the end of 18/19, I didn't think Ole would still be in a job at Man United now, so, from where he was when we were winning at Old Trafford, he's done pretty well. In saying that, if you're given getting on for £200 million to spend in a season at the club with the biggest turnover in the Premier League and you're there when someone who looks to be a major talent (Greenwood) breaks through, is third with no finals reached much to write home about? Having better quality staff to consult compared to those he had here is bound to help with the tactical side of things and, as someone who "gets" the club in a way Mourinho and perhaps Van Gaal never did, they have looked more like the old Man United this year, but I'm not convinced they can make the step up which sees them as realistic challengers to Liverpool and Man City (which is what is demanded at that club after all) under his management.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    At the start of the 2019/20 campaign, Ole was joint favourite with Steve Bruce to be the first Premier League manager sacked. He saw out the season comfortably, as did Bruce.

All of the major bookmakers and most of the top pundits believed Liverpool and Man City would be streets ahead of the rest during 2019/20, which they were. The bookies believed Man Utd would finish fifth, while most of the top pundits predicted they'd finish fifth or sixth. They finished third.

All things considered, I reckon OGS did alright last season. 2020/21 is going to be a major test for him and his players, but I'd say he's done OK so far and certainly better than many people expected.
    Thats a fair summary. I would also had when Poch got sacked at Spurs he had that hanging over him as everyone, fans and pundits, were predicting it was only a matter of time before OGS got the sack and Poch got the job.

Their record since they bought Fernandes in January has been better and there are signs they are starting to close the gap so no doubt his remit for this coming season will be more than just to finish in the top 4. I dont think they will demand to win the league this coming season, but I think there will need to be evidence they are closing the gap on City and Liverpool if hes to keep his job.

i think he may need to win one of the cups and will need to qualify for the CL latter stages.

Thats a fair summary. I would also had when Poch got sacked at Spurs he had that hanging over him as everyone, fans and pundits, were predicting it was only a matter of time before OGS got the sack and Poch got the job.

Their record since they bought Fernandes in January has been better and there are signs they are starting to close the gap so no doubt his remit for this coming season will be more than just to finish in the top 4. I dont think they will demand to win the league this coming season, but I think there will need to be evidence they are closing the gap on City and Liverpool if hes to keep his job.

i think he may need to win one of the cups and will need to qualify for the CL latter stages.
    I think if they are in the champions League and less than double figures from the top two they'll keep.

I don't think you can demand a cup win, anything can happen in the cups

I think if they are in the champions League and less than double figures from the top two they'll keep.

I don't think you can demand a cup win, anything can happen in the cups
    I know anything can happen but a bit of silverware keeps the fans happy and wont be able to use Jose winning silverware as a stick to beat him with.

Agreed. They also did the double over Man City, Chelsea and Leicester, and got 4 points from Tottenham. 23 points from 30 available against the other sides in the top 6 is far from shabby. Only Liverpool did better.

Heisenberg

Man United finished on 66 points this season - the exact same points total as last season when they finished 6th!

66 points would have languished them in 6th two seasons ago (instead, they finished 2nd on 81 points).

It's 3 points less than they managed when they finished in 6th the season before that and they finished in 5th in 15/16 with 66 points too.

In 14/15 66 points would have had them finishing in 5th.

In 13/14 it would have meant a 7th placed finish (they actually finished 7th that season but on 64 points - g'wan Ole!).

In 12/13 it would have been enough for 6th place again.

5th again in 11/12 and 10/11.

Should Solskjaer be praised for getting a points tally that would, every season for the last decade, have meant a finish outside the top 4? Not in my book, sorry.

Essentially, they were lucky that the other teams that are usually around them had shitter seasons in comparison to their usual standards, as Utd's 3rd place finish this season clearly isn't due to them improving their results on the pitch

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Should Solskjaer be praised for getting a points tally that would, every season for the last decade, have meant a finish outside the top 4? Not in my book, sorry.

Essentially, they were lucky that the other teams that are usually around them had shitter seasons in comparison to their usual standards, as Utd's 3rd place finish this season clearly isn't due to them improving their results on the pitch
    Firstly, I'm not sure anybody is actually praising him as such.

Secondly, I doubt the hierarchy at Man Utd are especially bothered by points totals by comparison to previous years. I suspect Ole's main objective this season would have simply been to get the club back into the Champions League. He's managed that. No doubt the new season will bring demands for further improvements, but I reckon he's probably achieved his primary objective this time around.

Heisenberg

Firstly, I'm not sure anybody is actually praising him as such.

Secondly, I doubt the hierarchy at Man Utd are especially bothered by points totals by comparison to previous years. I suspect Ole's main objective this season would have simply been to get the club back into the Champions League. He's managed that. No doubt the new season will bring demands for further improvements, but I reckon he's probably achieved his primary objective this time around.
    They should be bothered by it (in my opinion), as, by the law of averages, if they don't improve their results next season then they will likely finish outside the top 4. This season has resulted in incredibly low points totals required for a top-4 finish. They surely can't rely on other teams' failings (again) in order to qualify for the Champions League.

He achieved his objective of a top-4 finish, but I'd put my house on them finishing 5th or lower next season if there's no improvement in results. I'm categorically not saying that they won't improve, but they absolutely need to improve otherwise he'll be looking at the sack.

I can see Arsenal and Spurs being more consistent next season with Arteta and Mourinho in charge of them.

I still have doubts about Lampard at Chelsea. He was brought in to steady the ship during the transfer ban and bring through the academy players - yet he's now buying players that will push out the Chelsea youngsters he's bled into the team this season which may cause some friction behind the scenes.

Their points total, like Utd's, was incredibly poor and wouldn't have given them Champions League football any other season in the last decade. It'll be interesting to see how that experiment pans out.

I think Leicester, Wolves and Everton will finish below the lot of them.

Man United finished on 66 points this season - the exact same points total as last season when they finished 6th!

66 points would have languished them in 6th two seasons ago (instead, they finished 2nd on 81 points).

It's 3 points less than they managed when they finished in 6th the season before that and they finished in 5th in 15/16 with 66 points too.

In 14/15 66 points would have had them finishing in 5th.

In 13/14 it would have meant a 7th placed finish (they actually finished 7th that season but on 64 points - g'wan Ole!).

In 12/13 it would have been enough for 6th place again.

5th again in 11/12 and 10/11.

Where that points total would have finished in previous years is irrelevant. Maybe this season was more competitive outside of Liverpool. It got them 3rd place and Champions League qualification this season which would no doubt have been the remit given last year was a rebuild.

Liverpool would have won the league most seasons when they finished 2nd on 98 points 2 seasons ago but they didnt, so its irrelevant.

Heisenberg

Where that points total would have finished in previous years is irrelevant. It got them 3rd and Champions League qualification this season which would no doubt have been the remit given last year was a rebuild.

Liverpool would have won the league most seasons when they finished 2nd on 98 points 2 seasons ago but they didnt, so its irrelevant.
    It's irrelevant... In your opinion.

It's irrelevant... In your opinion.
    In most peoples opinion I would imagine.

He didn't buy a load of rubbish players he just couldn't get it to work
    Many of the players he got in have played out in European cup matches. When was the last time city did that.

if ogs had been as bad at man utd as he was here then they would have finished bottom half and he'd have been unceremoniously sacked already.
    so something is going better for him somehow.

Where that points total would have finished in previous years is irrelevant. Maybe this season was more competitive outside of Liverpool. It got them 3rd place and Champions League qualification this season which would no doubt have been the remit given last year was a rebuild.

Absolutely. When we were runners up with 90 points, no-one was bothered that we didn't win the Championship. When we were champions with an inferior points tally, nobody was suggesting that we didn't deserve to win the title.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Absolutely. When we were runners up with 90 points, no-one was bothered that we didn't win the Championship. When we were champions with an inferior points tally, nobody was suggesting that we didn't deserve to win the title.
    Spot on.