+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Dear Mr Gunman , this is why I hate the Premier league

Dear Mr Gunman , this is why I hate the Premier league

its sitting on 1.5 billion

Some of that could be filtered down the leagues at this time of no gate income

Do the premier league care ?

Do they bollocks

They won't even hand out 1 million

Re: Dear Mr Gunman , this is why I hate the Premier league

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post

Do they bollocks

Amen.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Amen.
    its a foooking disgrace

Shove it

First Team light up the darkness's Avatar

I think most folk would agree with you in general but

The Premier league is a billion pound business. The priorities of big business are not to fund small corner shop type of businesses. Their priorities are to deliver shareholder wealth.
    I don’t think it’s easy for supporters of football to appreciate that their priorities ie football (in general) are not the same priorities as the owners and Chief Executive Officers.

In finance terms It’s like asking Tesco’s to fund Mr Khans corner emporium. Not going to happen unless regulation or contractual changes are introduced to make the distribution of funds more equitable. Even then most premier clubs would have to be dragged kicking and screaming into any changes in their funding streams

Quote Originally Posted by light up the darkness View Post
    I think most folk would agree with you in general but

The Premier league is a billion pound business. The priorities of big business are not to fund small corner shop type of businesses. Their priorities are to deliver shareholder wealth.
    I don’t think it’s easy for supporters of football to appreciate that their priorities ie football (in general) are not the same priorities as the owners and Chief Executive Officers.

In finance terms It’s like asking Tesco’s to fund Mr Khans corner emporium. Not going to happen unless regulation or contractual changes are introduced to make the distribution of funds more equitable. Even then most premier clubs would have to be dragged kicking and screaming into any changes in their funding streams
    The Tesco analogy is not strictly correct. Tesco can survive, even thrive and make bigger profits without the presence of the corner shop. The Premier league relies on a steady supply of players, which ceases to exist if the lower leagues disappear. The Premier league is unsustainable in the long term without the clubs below them. There is an argument that shareholder wealth is increased by supporting those lower clubs.

Quote Originally Posted by cityhammer View Post
    The Tesco analogy is not strictly correct. Tesco can survive, even thrive and make bigger profits without the presence of the corner shop. The Premier league relies on a steady supply of players, which ceases to exist if the lower leagues disappear. The Premier league is unsustainable in the long term without the clubs below them. There is an argument that shareholder wealth is increased by supporting those lower clubs.
    Most analogies fall over under close examination. Best avoid using them as parables methinks.

Do they bollocks

Well said. The Premier League is the home of greed and hypocrisy.

I hate it when they keep referring to the PL as the product.

I don't agree that lower leagues are necessary.

People would still watch even if there was 1 league with no relegation.

American sports have somewhat proved this (although understand college leagues etc)

Premier League could quite easily just use academy leagues.

I suppose the question is why should they?

The majority of clubs in the football league (as in the PL) are loss making businesses at the best of times. An increasing number rely on wealthy individuals or consortiums to keep them afloat.

The recent very public financial mismanagement of a number of clubs wouldn't get me in a charitable mood.

Quote Originally Posted by Trigger View Post
    I suppose the question is why should they?

The majority of clubs in the football league (as in the PL) are loss making businesses at the best of times. An increasing number rely on wealthy individuals or consortiums to keep them afloat.

The recent very public financial mismanagement of a number of clubs wouldn't get me in a charitable mood.
    Thats a fair point

But is this what football has become ?

Of course there has always been rivalry and the big clubs etc but now we have pure greed

I would love to have been promoted to the old first division in the late eighties , before the greedy league was formed

And with regard to money being filtered down I am not talking about the big clubs outside of the Premier league who have overspent , I am talking about the likes of Rochdale, Halifax, Hereford, aldershot , Bury, grimsby, scunthorpe , Colchester, Chester, Wrexham........these football clubs represent communities and the greedy league doesn't care about them

Wages are having to be paid , these clubs rely on crowds , if they are lucky , of 4000

Yet Liverpool and United are a global brand raking more and more money in , whilst everyone else plays catch up .....and they simply don't care

The brain dead armchair fan would still sell his arse to watch Liverpool v United week in week out , they don't care about the rest of football

We are lucky , for all his odd ways , that we have Vincent Tan , because if we didn't, we would be on our our arse and fishing for luckies

It was great to see Cardiff City promoted recently but to what .......?

Why on earth should clubs like Liverpool and Manchester United care about clubs like Rochdale and Wrexham? Do those clubs care about Curson Ashton and Spennymoor Town? Do they bollocks.

Football is a business. The simple fact of the matter is that there are way too many professional football clubs in the UK and the vast majority of them cannot afford the ridiculous wages they pay out to their players. The wage bills at almost all professional and even semi-professional clubs in this country are in no way proportionate to the talent of their squads, but they shell out large sums of money they can't afford regardless of their running costs as they desperately chase success. It wouldn't happen in any other business and it shouldn't happen in football.

As for clubs representing communities, do me a favour. During the lengthy periods in which Cardiff City FC has been struggling financially, the vast majority of the population of the city and it's surrounding areas couldn't have cared less and the same is true for most clubs.

WHy do you keep coming out with this the big clubs should save the little clubs nonsense? Man City should bail out Bury.etc

Why? If the big clubs bail out the small clubs that just encourages even more gambling by chancers in the lower divisions because its not their money they are gambling with.

Look at the crooks buying into Charlton for a quid and asset stripping. Should West Ham bail them out?

The Premiership can survive quite easily without drawing on any native talent

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    Most analogies fall over under close examination. Best avoid using them as parables methinks.

I dislike being pedantic especially on this board but I’ve paraphrased the following explanation as to how the two things differ in as much as analogy is a relationship of resemblance or equivalence between two situations especially when used as a basis for explanation or extrapolation while parable is a short narrative illustrating a lesson.

I agree that I have used both however it remains that the big corporations are very unlikely to support a small one even though it appears to be in their own interest so to do.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    Why on earth should clubs like Liverpool and Manchester United care about clubs like Rochdale and Wrexham? Do those clubs care about Curson Ashton and Spennymoor Town? Do they bollocks.

Football is a business. The simple fact of the matter is that there are way too many professional football clubs in the UK and the vast majority of them cannot afford the ridiculous wages they pay out to their players. The wage bills at almost all professional and even semi-professional clubs in this country are in no way proportionate to the talent of their squads, but they shell out large sums of money they can't afford regardless of their running costs as they desperately chase success. It wouldn't happen in any other business and it shouldn't happen in football.

As for clubs representing communities, do me a favour. During the lengthy periods in which Cardiff City FC has been struggling financially, the vast majority of the population of the city and it's surrounding areas couldn't have cared less and the same is true for most clubs.
    You sound like that Scudamore character

If football is how you portray it , its ****ed

And one day man United and Liverpool will be the only teams left

Man United and Liverpool used to represent the communities they were based in but now they may as well represent Surrey or Sussex, thanks to sky and the Premier league

Cardiff city represent the city of Cardiff and the South Wales towns and valleys from which we get much of our support

Bury represent the town of Bury, Lancashire

Thats a fair point

But is this what football has become ?

Of course there has always been rivalry and the big clubs etc but now we have pure greed

I would love to have been promoted to the old first division in the late eighties , before the greedy league was formed

And with regard to money being filtered down I am not talking about the big clubs outside of the Premier league who have overspent , I am talking about the likes of Rochdale, Halifax, Hereford, aldershot , Bury, grimsby, scunthorpe , Colchester, Chester, Wrexham........these football clubs represent communities and the greedy league doesn't care about them

Wages are having to be paid , these clubs rely on crowds , if they are lucky , of 4000

Yet Liverpool and United are a global brand raking more and more money in , whilst everyone else plays catch up .....and they simply don't care

The brain dead armchair fan would still sell his arse to watch Liverpool v United week in week out , they don't care about the rest of football

We are lucky , for all his odd ways , that we have Vincent Tan , because if we didn't, we would be on our our arse and fishing for luckies

It was great to see Cardiff City promoted recently but to what .......?
    I think you need to stop blaming the clubs and start blaming the people.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    WHy do you keep coming out with this the big clubs should save the little clubs nonsense? Man City should bail out Bury.etc

Why? If the big clubs bail out the small clubs that just encourages even more gambling by chancers in the lower divisions because its not their money they are gambling with.

Look at the crooks buying into Charlton for a quid and asset stripping. Should West Ham bail them out?
    you won't find a club associated with chancers much more than west ham

Man City, Liverpool and United make a shed load out of football , too fecking right they should trickle some down to clubs like Bury and tranmere

And cardiff city should help out merthyr , porth etc

If football has become this much of a cut throat business then it hasn't got long left

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    I think you need to stop blaming the clubs and start blaming the people.
    the people to blame are the people who set up the Premier league ....Liverpool, Everton, Spurs , Arsenal and United and the spineless lot that have followed

You sound like that Scudamore character
    You sound like a deluded idiot.

You sound like a deluded idiot.
    Well thats all very romantic but let's stick to the issue

If you just accept football in this country for what it is then thats not exactly .....kicking against the pricks ........is it ?

Revolution or evolution , you are a former punk , have you lost your mojo ?

If you just accept football in this country for what it is then thats not exactly .....kicking against the pricks ........is it ?
    My problem is I waste too much time talking to pricks.

Football has become a fat corporate pig , if we came upon it new in its current form we'd probably find a different interest, we only show our interest from our past involvement when it was a real affordable working-class game , now you find working-class families struggle w
    getting to the game due to cost of the day out , so they take the cheapest option , TV subscription which sells the big club dream.

Very sad for the Rochdale's and Bury's

My problem is I waste too much time talking to pricks.
    you are a slave to football capitalism , that's your problem

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Football has become a fat corporate pig , if we came upon it new in its current form we'd probably find a different interest, we only show our interest from our past involvement when it was a real affordable working-class game , now you find working-class families struggle w
    getting to the game due to cost of the day out , so they take the cheapest option , TV subscription which sells the big club dream.

Very sad for the Rochdale's and Bury's
    its a crock of shite

The answer ? Well don't go then , or don't get sky

Which is bullshit