+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Joy Of Fishing

Re: The Joy Of Fishing

Sea anglers often take home their catch for the table. How about coarse fishing - are any river fish suitable for the plate or is it just not acceptable/allowed in coarse fishing circles?
    I heard that pike can be quite tasty when baked...

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post
    Sea anglers often take home their catch for the table. How about coarse fishing - are any river fish suitable for the plate or is it just not acceptable/allowed in coarse fishing circles?
    I heard that pike can be quite tasty when baked...
    Coarse fish in this country are almost 100 percent returned , most coarse fisherman wouldnt dream of killing and eating a fish

On the continent pike and carp are eaten , especially eastern Europe

Sea anglers come in two breeds , the ones who belong to clubs like sea view in barry , who return all the fish they catch and the tossers who go in their droves to the knap in barry , porthcawl pier , the Ogmore deeps , easy fishing venues basically , drink cans of lager .....and chuck them in the sea......catch small bass and small cod , kill them , catch dogfish , which are lovely fish and chop their heads off and leave them on the beach or drop kick them off porthcawl pier into the sea, a lot of sea fisherman should be locked up . And they leave fishing line , hooks and unused bait in plastic packets around . The pier at porthcawl is a human toilet , quite literally.

I gave up sea fishing many years ago , far too many idiots

I have caught bass , cod , dogfish , conger eels etc and always returned them

A lot of the more conservation minded anglers such as sea view lads or Roy tapper , big city fan , keep fish they catch alive in matches in tanks , they weigh them at the end of the contest and the fish are then put back into barry Dock, there are some huge conger eels in there

But in my experience decent sea anglers are few and far between

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Coarse fish in this country are almost 100 percent returned , most coarse fisherman wouldnt dream of killing and eating a fish

On the continent pike and carp are eaten , especially eastern Europe

Sea anglers come in two breeds , the ones who belong to clubs like sea view in barry , who return all the fish they catch and the tossers who go in their droves to the knap in barry , porthcawl pier , the Ogmore deeps , easy fishing venues basically , drink cans of lager .....and chuck them in the sea......catch small bass and small cod , kill them , catch dogfish , which are lovely fish and chop their heads off and leave them on the beach or drop kick them off porthcawl pier into the sea, a lot of sea fisherman should be locked up . And they leave fishing line , hooks and unused bait in plastic packets around . The pier at porthcawl is a human toilet , quite literally.

I gave up sea fishing many years ago , far too many idiots

I have caught bass , cod , dogfish , conger eels etc and always returned them

A lot of the more conservation minded anglers such as sea view lads or Roy tapper , big city fan , keep fish they catch alive in matches in tanks , they weigh them at the end of the contest and the fish are then put back into barry Dock, there are some huge conger eels in there

But in my experience decent sea anglers are few and far between
    I used to do the occasional sea fishing many years ago. You're right about sea anglers not always clearing up after themselves.
    I think for me the interesting part of sea fishing was that you really never knew for sure what you'd have on the end of your line.
    One of the foremen I used to work with was an avid coarse fishermen (a river bailiff too!), he represented Wales in coarse fishing.

Some of the gear he used to buy was astronomically priced. I remember he bought a pole, not a rod but a pole. It came in long sections and going back in the 90's I think he paid around a grand for it.
    His favourite holiday destination was Holland, apparently it offered wonderful fishing and his wife would tag along with him. He lived and breathed fishing.

I used to do the occasional sea fishing many years ago. You're right about sea anglers not always clearing up after themselves.
    I think for me the interesting part of sea fishing was that you really never knew for sure what you'd have on the end of your line.
    One of the foremen I used to work with was an avid coarse fishermen (a river bailiff too!), he represented Wales in coarse fishing.

Some of the gear he used to buy was astronomically priced. I remember he bought a pole, not a rod but a pole. It came in long sections and going back in the 90's I think he paid around a grand for it.
    His favourite holiday destination was Holland, apparently it offered wonderful fishing and his wife would tag along with him. He lived and breathed fishing.
    Holland , Denmark, superb coarse fishing

I had a pole once but it only cost me 100 quid , it did my back in

The thing is with coarse fishing is its like sea fishing you never know what you might catch , the Dock feeder canal in blackweir is full of roach , dace , chub , barbel , carp , perch , bream and pike and the odd trout

With trout fishing thats all you are going to catch which is why I don't do much of it and I never sea fish at all anymore because of the litter louts

Do you spin fish at all? I see from one of the videos you posted the angler was catching different varieties of fish with this method.
    I like that more active way of fishing, rather than just looking at a float all the time.

Is there any snobbery involved in fishing, I mean would so called 'purists' look down their noses at someone just a few yards away from them continually tossing a lure into the water?

Do you spin fish at all? I see from one of the videos you posted the angler was catching different varieties of fish with this method.
    I like that more active way of fishing, rather than just looking at a float all the time.

Is there any snobbery involved in fishing, I mean would so called 'purists' look down their noses at someone just a few yards away from them continually tossing a lure into the water?
    Sorry, I see that you already stated in your opening post that you enjoy spinning.

nowadays thats all I do , as younsay its very active and the predatory fish like pike , perch , trout and chub hit the spinner really hard

Its easy , you dont get your hands and clothes dirty with worms , maggots etc , you dont have to set up complicated rigs etc , just tie on the spinner and away you go

Mind you I do miss watching the float go under , very exciting

Fly fisherman are the biggest snobs

And carp anglers

International

given that arguement all those cuts that eat fish are more cruel that me

I mean whether a fish is suffocated to eat , crushed to death etc or caught by a fisherman then put back into the water I think fish would rather swim around with the occasional chance of being caught then left to swim again that suffocated or crushed for Friday supper
    I agree but fish and man are in the food chain. Catching a fish to eat because a person is hungry is the natural order of things, catching one for fun and traumatising it in the process is neither orderly nor natural.

Fly fisherman are the biggest snobs

And carp anglers
    You leave us fluff chuckers alone 😉

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    I agree but fish and man are in the food chain. Catching a fish to eat because a person is hungry is the natural order of things, catching one for fun and traumatising it in the process is neither orderly nor natural.
    It shouldn't be in the West due to the rise in awareness of a fruit and vegetable diet

Quote Originally Posted by @CCFCProgrammes View Post
    You leave us fluff chuckers alone 😉
    I find that apart from being a shocking fly fisherman , I find it all to finicky and hard work

feck the new kit

I have just bought a ten foot diawa prorex spinning rod , 50 quid reduced from 80

Lovely stuff

I find that apart from being a shocking fly fisherman , I find it all to finicky and hard work
    You should buy my book

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    You should buy my book
    He was a silly old **** who talked out of his arse

His daughter was fit though

Deffo over 16

when I was 16 I was fishing at a local pond and garry Evans who owns Cardiffs best fishing tackle shop sat in the next space and gave me loads of advice .

I left my fishing catapult there and a few weeks later it arrived in the post , he had looked on the clubs members list and sent it on

Hes a very rich man now but a real good guy , most fisherman are like that

Love a bit of Lure fishing. Mind you I like all forms of fishing, only occasionally go sea fishing, mainly coarse and fly fishing. Mostly all fishermen/women are conservationists. I always leave a swim the same as I approached it, spotless (always clean mess). Thanks sludge for promoting our sport. It's a brilliant sport for kids.

Quote Originally Posted by ihatealiens2 View Post
    Love a bit of Lure fishing. Mind you I like all forms of fishing, only occasionally go sea fishing, mainly coarse and fly fishing. Mostly all fishermen/women are conservationists. I always leave a swim the same as I approached it, spotless (always clean mess). Thanks sludge for promoting our sport. It's a brilliant sport for kids.
    it is

I like lure fishing because you are on the move , stalking fish , trying to imitate their prey and you can travel light and avoid getting covered in groundbait or if you are sea fishing mackerel or squid juice , with coarse fishing on a lake you pick where you are going to fish , groundbait or if you are going for carp set up several rods and wait , its not for me anymore

I have met lazy coarse and trout fisherman but they are few and far between , the worst offenders are sea fishermen , some good clubs out there that promote the proper way to fish in the sea and how to treat fish safely if you are going to return them alive but in general , especially the competitions for big prize money like the echo sea masters ......which should be banned .......sea fishing is plagued by litter louts and people who have no respect for the environment