+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fred Davies has passed away

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Fred Davies has passed away

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyscoular View Post
    Rarely hear Barrie Jones mentioned, even by old-timers. I remember him being a bit of lightning, over on the left wing as I recall.

Yes, I remember that chant.
    Barrie Jones was a superbly gifted footballer. Unfortunately, he broke his leg away at Blackpool, which ended his football league career.

A game that sticks in my mind was an away defeat at Derby in 1969, the season they gained promotion to the First Division. City got beaten 2-0 but the general consensus was that Barrie Jones was the best player on the pitch that day.

What I didn't realise was that Plymouth broke the British transfer record for a winger when they signed him from the Jacks in 1964 for £45,000.

Re: Fred Davies has passed away

Quote Originally Posted by Moodybluebird View Post
    Barrie Jones was a superbly gifted footballer. Unfortunately, he broke his leg away at Blackpool, which ended his football league career.

A game that sticks in my mind was an away defeat at Derby in 1969, the season they gained promotion to the First Division. City got beaten 2-0 but the general consensus was that Barrie Jones was the best player on the pitch that day.

What I didn't realise was that Plymouth broke the British transfer record for a winger when they signed him from the Jacks in 1964 for £45,000.

It was a record fee .... the weather that day when we got beat 2-0 was horrendous, got absolutely soaked queuing to get in although we’d got in the ground a few hours before but got chucked out before we could hide. It was a Biblical storm that day yet turn the clock on years and years later and a few snowflakes get a game called off?