Anyone tried stripping back with 'stuff'

Watched a documentary on Netflix called minimalism and I haven't been able to shake it.

While they were not really my type of people (hipsters) there was one point that really resonated with me.

this women said something along the lines of.. being materialist is mistaken as having lots of stuff, but if you are really materialist, you should value a few high quality items that add value to your life.

I tried the exercise they suggested, which was to find out what you actually need day to day.

I found out I need.
- A mobile
- Laptop
- XBOX and smart TV (Because I game with friends and it adds value to me as a hobby)
- Golf Clubs
- Basic collection of clothes.

I segregated these items as if I was moving house and went through selling and giving away everything else. It was crazy how much I had accumulated in my life. 100+ DVDS 100+ CDS (have not used either format for years due to streaming services)
Box of childhood toys that I previously would have regarded as sentimental but actually are not, they are just all shop bought junk.
Baseball bats, tennis rackets, snooker cues all stuff I do not do often and if I did could borrow the item for the day.

Old electronics, laptops, cables, chargers.. bin bag full binned it all.

I could go on and on, but in short, in the last 6 months I have gone from someone has had two bedrooms full of stuff, to now being able to put everything I own in the entire world into a suitcase (carry golf clubs on my back)

The major benefit of this has been, once you do not have much stuff, or things to spend money on, those few items you have can be really high quality. I can have a top of the range laptop and mobile, because I can now justify it. from the money I have saved and generated from selling.

It has been a positive experience in regards to mental health and stress levels, and generally consuming less is something we need to start working on as people.