+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New Cardiff City book should be on sale within three days!

First Team light up the darkness's Avatar

Re: New Cardiff City book should be on sale within three days!

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Frankie Humphries
    That’s someone who’s face has appeared on many posters over the years

Quote Originally Posted by Vindec View Post
    Was that the home game against Middlesborough? We lost 4-3 if I remember correctly.
    Frank Parsons was throwing them into our net faster than we could score them at the other end.

Just ordered it on Amaon, Paul. Good luck with the book. I've still not recovered from that Sheffield United game!

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Thank you Elwood and the answer to your question is yes .
    In the same Middlesborough game,Bobby Woodruff also scored a cracking goal with one of the hardest shots I have ever seen.

I was watching at the other end through an ancient set of binoculars. I was right behind Bobby and he gave the shot some welly!!!

I also followed Peter Kings all the way expecting someone to try and head it and was stunned to see it go in.

Then Frank Parsons had his mad few minutes.....

Quote Originally Posted by Elwood Blues View Post
    In the same Middlesborough game,Bobby Woodruff also scored a cracking goal with one of the hardest shots I have ever seen.

I was watching at the other end through an ancient set of binoculars. I was right behind Bobby and he gave the shot some welly!!!

I also followed Peter Kings all the way expecting someone to try and head it and was stunned to see it go in.

Then Frank Parsons had his mad few minutes.....
    It's a shame that Bobby Woodruff's brilliant goal a few minutes before Peter King's was barely mentioned at the time, let alone now, but, as I point out, in the book, King played a big part in that goal because the simple looking pass he played to Woodruff was so good that he didn't have to adjust or break his stride at all as he moved on to the ball.

From where I was stood, I knew King's extraordinary goal was going in almost as soon as he hit it.

The book arrived this morning and I've started it already. It's a cracking read. Highly recommended. Well done Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch Mort View Post
    The book arrived this morning and I've started it already. It's a cracking read. Highly recommended. Well done Paul
    Ditto.

Arrived this morning (with 'My Kind Of Club' - the Warnock at Cardiff book by Dominic Booth - in very big print!).

Started Paul's book already.

First Team

Just bought it .
    Looking forward to this book.

Once again, thanks to you all for your support. I've ordered the paperback but not received it yet. My main interest is to see what the cover looks like - I heard some right horror stories about Amazon's self publishing software when it comes to designing covers, so was fearing the worst. Based on what I've seen from the previews on the software, the cover is nothing special (four or five out of ten stuff), but it is all my own work and I'm quite proud I managed to produce something without having to get a professional involved.

all the best

Once again, thanks to you all for your support. I've ordered the paperback but not received it yet. My main interest is to see what the cover looks like - I heard some right horror stories about Amazon's self publishing software when it comes to designing covers, so was fearing the worst. Based on what I've seen from the previews on the software, the cover is nothing special (four or five out of ten stuff), but it is all my own work and I'm quite proud I managed to produce something without having to get a professional involved.
    Just one observation Paul, your name does not seem to appear on the front, back cover or spine. Modesty ?

It's a shame that Bobby Woodruff's brilliant goal a few minutes before Peter King's was barely mentioned at the time, let alone now, but, as I point out, in the book, King played a big part in that goal because the simple looking pass he played to Woodruff was so good that he didn't have to adjust or break his stride at all as he moved on to the ball.

From where I was stood, I knew King's extraordinary goal was going in almost as soon as he hit it.
    Hard to believe but that game was played on 3 October 1970, so 50 years ago last Saturday!! I was in the Canton Stand, but those goals looked great even from that distance.

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch Mort View Post
    Just one observation Paul, your name does not seem to appear on the front, back cover or spine. Modesty ?
    I noticed that the day after it was published, so it was down to forgetfulness Rob, I was concentrating so much on getting everything to fit properly, I forgot all about it! I'm pretty sure I can amend the e book and I might do that, but I don't think the system will let me do it on the paperback.

Quote Originally Posted by cardiff55 View Post
    Hard to believe but that game was played on 3 October 1970, so 50 years ago last Saturday!! I was in the Canton Stand, but those goals looked great even from that distance.
    With Parsons' blunders happening right in front of you, I think those of us in the Grange End had the better of things that day, but were you in the Canton Stand for the Warboys match against Carlisle?

With Parsons' blunders happening right in front of you, I think those of us in the Grange End had the better of things that day, but were you in the Canton Stand for the Warboys match against Carlisle?
    Yes, same season. I had a junior season ticket there. The Carlisle game where Warboys scored four was on march 6 and we played Real Madrid 4 days later. What a week!

I might not sell many books, but I've just had word that a certain Peter King will be buying one of them!
    Order placed. Looking forward to reading it.

Your book has arrived, thanks very much Paul. Looks good, will be reading it this weekend. As a 19 year old then, my memory of the Real Madrid night is rather hazy apart from the goal, although one of the guys who we were walking home with seems to remember playing football with a cabbage in the streets

Good work Bob

Arrived today
    Looking forward to reading it.

Quote Originally Posted by ksbenchpwllheli View Post
    Your book has arrived, thanks very much Paul. Looks good, will be reading it this weekend. As a 19 year old then, my memory of the Real Madrid night is rather hazy apart from the goal, although one of the guys who we were walking home with seems to remember playing football with a cabbage in the streets
    I'm not sure what to say about that, except that cabbages in that era makes me think of "it's Friday, it's five o clock and it's Crackerjack!" - thanks for buying the book anyway.

I don't know if the person who left a nice review of the book on Amazon is on this board, but thanks a lot if you are.

I'm not sure what to say about that, except that cabbages in that era makes me think of "it's Friday, it's five o clock and it's Crackerjack!" - thanks for buying the book anyway.
    How many shouted Crackerjack when reading that?!

Just ordered the paperback. Will read it next week. Looking forward to it and all the very best wishes. It was my very first Cardiff City match. I still have the programme.

Brilliant, brought back so many memories. A few recollections. I was for some reason just as pissed off with us selling Peter Rodrigues a few years earlier and certainly Ramsey for a measly £5M later on. Tosh was at Radnor Road with me, same team, I was in goal. Lots of after school kickabouts on top-level of nearby Thompsons Park where you could incidentally look down on the Llandaf Road ground which was home of Cardiff Corries then (didn't know it was called Coronation Park though?).
    All those goals from crosses! I can remember every week Ronnie Bird, Nigel Rees and Peter King galloping to the goalline (pity our wingers dont do that more now) and Tosh, Clark and Warboys heading them in. Uncanny similar experience at St Andrews when my lift broke down and I hitched the last 30 miles to arrive at half-time (got in free!) into a very hostile atmosphere which I can remember to this day,..... and the Watford game. I would disagree and say that we would have won 99 times out of a 100! From the far end of the Bob Bank all I saw of the "goal" was Watford players appearing out of a duststorm which engulfed the whole penalty area, and running back to the halfway line.
    Trained it to Sheffield where indeed the Blades blew us away with fast attacking football and some excellent goals. To add to the surprise, the Bramall Lane ground only had 3 sides as one long side was open to a cricket field!
    Thanks again Paul. Great stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by ksbenchpwllheli View Post
    Brilliant, brought back so many memories. A few recollections. I was for some reason just as pissed off with us selling Peter Rodrigues a few years earlier and certainly Ramsey for a measly £5M later on. Tosh was at Radnor Road with me, same team, I was in goal. Lots of after school kickabouts on top-level of nearby Thompsons Park where you could incidentally look down on the Llandaf Road ground which was home of Cardiff Corries then (didn't know it was called Coronation Park though?).
    All those goals from crosses! I can remember every week Ronnie Bird, Nigel Rees and Peter King galloping to the goalline (pity our wingers dont do that more now) and Tosh, Clark and Warboys heading them in. Uncanny similar experience at St Andrews when my lift broke down and I hitched the last 30 miles to arrive at half-time (got in free!) into a very hostile atmosphere which I can remember to this day,..... and the Watford game. I would disagree and say that we would have won 99 times out of a 100! From the far end of the Bob Bank all I saw of the "goal" was Watford players appearing out of a duststorm which engulfed the whole penalty area, and running back to the halfway line.
    Trained it to Sheffield where indeed the Blades blew us away with fast attacking football and some excellent goals. To add to the surprise, the Bramall Lane ground only had 3 sides as one long side was open to a cricket field!
    Thanks again Paul. Great stuff.
    Thanks very much, glad it brought back so many memories.

Talking of Peter Rodrigues, he replied to my blog piece on Bob Wilson and I wrote back to him saying that he was probably my first City hero after I watched him score against Rotherham after being pushed up front in pre substitute days as nuisance value when he got injured.

You've got me thinking about Coronation Park/Corinthian Park now, I think you may well be right.

I remember John Toshack coming up to Fairwater to watch his younger brother play against Cantonian on a day when City had a home game and everyone spent more time watching him than the game.

I mention in the book that Charlie Woods who scored the winning goal in the game down here saying that Watford would go to Sheffield United on the last day of the season and do us a favour by winning there, but I didn't believe him for a second - they were a poor side whose goalkeeper (a Welshman!) just happened to play a blinder.

It's funny, before I wrote the book I knew of very few people who were at the Sheffield United game, but since it came out you're the fourth person to tell me they were there - they all say much the same as you about us being blown away.

Thanks very much, glad it brought back so many memories.

Talking of Peter Rodrigues, he replied to my blog piece on Bob Wilson and I wrote back to him saying that he was probably my first City hero after I watched him score against Rotherham after being pushed up front in pre substitute days as nuisance value when he got injured.

You've got me thinking about Coronation Park/Corinthian Park now, I think you may well be right.

I remember John Toshack coming up to Fairwater to watch his younger brother play against Cantonian on a day when City had a home game and everyone spent more time watching him than the game.

I mention in the book that Charlie Woods who scored the winning goal in the game down here saying that Watford would go to Sheffield United on the last day of the season and do us a favour by winning there, but I didn't believe him for a second - they were a poor side whose goalkeeper (a Welshman!) just happened to play a blinder.

It's funny, before I wrote the book I knew of very few people who were at the Sheffield United game, but since it came out you're the fourth person to tell me they were there - they all say much the same as you about us being blown away.
    Corinthian Park was the Corries ground on Llandaff Rd, Coronation Park was the City’s ground on Sloper Rd, old double decker bus for changing rooms at one time Grange Albion’s ground now.