+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: YOUR TOP 5 SPORTSMEN OR WOMEN OF ALL TIME

Re: YOUR TOP 5 SPORTSMEN OR WOMEN OF ALL TIME

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Edwards played against the All Blacks four times, losing all four. He wasn’t involved in the 1978 game. Played ten times against France, won four. That 1970s era is looked back on with rose tinted glasses.
    I agree to an extent, but I'd rate the 71 Lions win in New Zealand as the single most impressive northern hemisphere rugby achievement of the last sixty years and there's no doubt that it would never have happened without a world class nucleus of Welshmen in the test side - JPR Williams, Gerald Davies, Barry John, Gareth Edwards, Mervyn Davies and John Taylor were all realistic candidates for a world XV at that time.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Terry Holmes was the Welsh scrum half that day mind.
    Now there’s an unsung hero, Edwards, great player that he was had the luxury of playing alongside team mates of similar quality whereas Holmes carried a somewhat mediocre side in comparison. He was almost a ninth forward, excellent player whose career was cruelly curtailed through a persistent shoulder injury, gained no doubt through his exertions.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I agree to an extent, but I'd rate the 71 Lions win in New Zealand as the single most impressive northern hemisphere rugby achievement of the last sixty years and there's no doubt that it would never have happened without a world class nucleus of Welshmen in the test side - JPR Williams, Gerald Davies, Barry John, Gareth Edwards, Mervyn Davies and John Taylor were all realistic candidates for a world XV at that time.
    Mmm, Bob I'm not sure Sir Clive would agree with your first sentence !

First Team light up the darkness's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Now there’s an unsung hero, Edwards, great player that he was had the luxury of playing alongside team mates of similar quality whereas Holmes carried a somewhat mediocre side in comparison. He was almost a ninth forward, excellent player whose career was cruelly curtailed through a persistent shoulder injury, gained no doubt through his exertions.

He’s a builder now. Lives in Pentyrch.

In no particular order:
    Severiano Ballesteros
    Sugar Ray Leonard
    Bjorn Borg
    Johan Cruyff
    David Campese