+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Home and away wins per manager since Scoular

Re: Home and away wins per manager since Scoular

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    It's not a matter of what I prefer to see, old fruit. I just think that is just partial data.

Consider the 1997-1998 season:

City finished the season in League Two in bottom but three position with 50 points, a -4 goal difference and a 19.56 win percentage
    Immediately below them were Hull, eleven points adrift of City on 41 points, a goal difference of -27 and a 23.09 win percentage.
    In truth, there's no true way of comparing. Ppg doesn't work either as there were more draws when wins were worth 2 points.

I never meant this as a definitive comparison, but useful enough as a guide and talking point. Very few would suggest, for example, that Neil Harris has a good home record. I never realised until I did this how poorly Jimmy Scoular's teams performed away from home. The data's good enough to make those suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    In truth, there's no true way of comparing. Ppg doesn't work either as there were more draws when wins were worth 2 points.

I never meant this as a definitive comparison, but useful enough as a guide and talking point. Very few would suggest, for example, that Neil Harris has a good home record. I never realised until I did this how poorly Jimmy Scoular's teams performed away from home. The data's good enough to make those suggestions.
    As you say, it's very difficult to compare the records of managers in the two points for a win era with those in the three points for a win era. Your point about Scoular is, no doubt, well-founded: my point was something else but I wish you only good karma and great joy

Quote Originally Posted by cardiff55 View Post
    I think we went nearly two years without an away win under Scoular? Struggled in one season, no wins in the next season and just. one the following season. 15 games 1971/72, 21 games in 1972/73 and the first 8 games of 1973/74. Just the 44 winless away games!!
    Yep. In the league his last win was at Preston, a ground where we traditionally do so well! There was an away win in the FA cup the following January at Sheffield United, but that was it for 2 years until he left. During that run the team conceded 84 goals.

From the start of the 69/70 season, Scoular's side won 14 and lost 14 of the next 40 away games. Only one of those defeats was by more than one goal. Then came a run of 1 away win in 50 games, comprising of 31 defeats, of which 17 were by 2 goals or more! Quite a bizarre turnaround!!