+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: The Pike In The River Taff Are Going To Get Right Leathering This Winter

The Pike In The River Taff Are Going To Get Right Leathering This Winter

Abu Garcia Tormentor , 10 foot

Shimano FX 4000

If you come across some bloke stalking around the back of Sophia Gardens with a big rod in his hands you will know the score

Re: The Pike In The River Taff Are Going To Get Right Leathering This Winter

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post

Shimano FX 4000

If you come across some bloke stalking around the back of Sophia Gardens with a big rod in his hands you will know the score
    I've never been a fisherman (at least I think that's what you're referring to !) but I've always had in interest in nature and wildlife in general. So, as a matter of interest, what fish are there in the Taff nowadays ? I think salmon returning to spawn has been well documented but what other fish have you caught or tried to catch in the river.

Shimano FX 4000

Your tackle won’t last long if it’s confiscated by the Glamorgan Anglers bailiff!!

I would only catch fish if I was going to eat them.
    quite fancy catching some signal crayfish, but not in the Taff, as I think the river is still pretty dirty.
    a lot cleaner than is once was, but there is still a lot of raw sewage pumped into it.

https://www.ft.com/content/5c1a33e4-...a-05ac2431f453

Scotland's water company have done a far better job of cleaning up their rivers

Remember catching a small pike many many years ago. Proudly took it home and my mother cooked it.

What a lot of bones!

Shimano FX 4000

If I see anyone with his tackle and rod , leathering someone called Pike , I'm ringing the old bill

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    If I see anyone with his tackle and rod , leathering someone called Pike , I'm ringing the old bill
    It would probably be Captain Mainwaring so don't panic you stupid boy !

Quote Originally Posted by Moodybluebird View Post
    I've never been a fisherman (at least I think that's what you're referring to !) but I've always had in interest in nature and wildlife in general. So, as a matter of interest, what fish are there in the Taff nowadays ? I think salmon returning to spawn has been well documented but what other fish have you caught or tried to catch in the river.
    Don't tell him (,) Pike/pike!

Get down Port Talbot Dock for Pike, Sludge. We have regular course fishing matches and the pike are a nuisance.

I have had my keepnet attacked by a pike, that I estimate of at least 30lb.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    I would only catch fish if I was going to eat them.
    quite fancy catching some signal crayfish, but not in the Taff, as I think the river is still pretty dirty.
    a lot cleaner than is once was, but there is still a lot of raw sewage pumped into it.
    Is that what gives Brains beer its distinctive taste?

Quote Originally Posted by SBF1 View Post
    F*cking gutted!

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Is that what gives Brains beer its distinctive taste?
    let's hope not

Quote Originally Posted by Moodybluebird View Post
    Pike , Perch , Chub , Dace , Roach , Barbel , Trout

Quote Originally Posted by pomeroy View Post
    Your tackle won’t last long if it’s confiscated by the Glamorgan Anglers bailiff!!
    I am a member , if you pardon the expression

Get down Port Talbot Dock for Pike, Sludge. We have regular course fishing matches and the pike are a nuisance.

I have had my keepnet attacked by a pike, that I estimate of at least 30lb.
    The club I am in has the rights to fish there , although I have never fished it

The pike are supposed to be huge in there due to the huge stocks of bream , roach etc to feed on

Is that a pike that has been killed ?

Hope it wasn't one of the anglers , pike are vital to keep a water in balance

No idea Sludge, it was on the bank when I got to my peg. Obviously been there a while. It was a 20plus though.
    Agree about, the food chain though...

Yes mate, I have a GA key too.
    Although I am not a member, I have a key because I run the matches for "Dai the worm" so I have to have access.
    Always getting pike attacks there. Big perch, mullet, bass and flounders in there..

Yes mate, I have a GA key too.
    Although I am not a member, I have a key because I run the matches for "Dai the worm" so I have to have access.
    Always getting pike attacks there. Big perch, mullet, bass and flounders in there..
    Dai is the baliff down there still ?

The pike in port Talbot Dock are called shovel heads because they feed mostly on the huge bream shoals , as they do in Llangorse

Whats the depth like in the Dock?

I wonder how all the coarse fish got in there , it must have been stocked

Thought the OP referenced River Taff how the feck did we end up in Port Talbot??

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Thought the OP referenced River Taff how the feck did we end up in Port Talbot??
    Both have pike in them