+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wembley disappointments - which would you change?

Re: Wembley disappointments - which would you change?

Either the play off final or the league cup final. The FA cup is the most prestigious trophy but if we had won one of the other two then maybe Tan wouldn’t have turned us red and caused all that pain and anguish

Quote Originally Posted by Trigger View Post
    On its day it would have been the most entertaining but that side didn't have the foundation or mentality that our promotion sides did and I think would have taken its fair share of batterings.
    I used to think the same, but I've changed my mind on this. I think we had a midfield that was comfortable on the ball and could raise their game. We had a strike force that would have coped easily in the PL. Defensively we needed improving, but as a footballing team we'd have been fine. Swansea struggled for a couple of months when they went up. The side that missed out on the playoffs on the last day and the side that lost to Blackpool was where it should have happened. The side Jones cobbled together in his last season that struggled to stay together and Bellamy tried to keep together was a dead loss.

Had we won promotion in 2009 or 2010 we'd have stayed up with minor alterations. The 2011 side would have been relegated as it was based on salmon shit.

I think winning the FA Cup in 2008, after watching us go through in the QF at Boro and then the semi against Barnsley it would have been a fitting end to that season if we had lifted the cup. I have never felt so proud in defeat than coming out of Wembley after pushing Liverpool to extra time and pens, that was a day I will never forget, Blackpool was a day to forget. I hope we get another crack at winning a Wembley final soon.

League Cup 2012 for me. That was the one where we came closest, and Liverpool is the biggest scalp. That Kenny Miller chance.....

Blackpool in 3 rd place because we have been promoted twice since and therefore it is less significant. However I was absolutely gutted that day. But with jones as manager we would have done better any he PL.

Liverpool 2nd- Again, absolutely gutted at the end fo the game but proud of the team. Second place because the FA Cup is more important.

Portsmouth in 1st place, because it's the FA Cup. I thought the game was really boring and a real let down.

We could have won them all, and maybe should have.

Everyone always talks about the Turner moment (which was amazing) but it's often forgotten that we were a goal up at half time.

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    Everyone always talks about the Turner moment (which was amazing) but it's often forgotten that we were a goal up at half time.
    Bloody being ahead in the pelanty shoot out was more significant

FA Cup win, the other two are close but we still talk about the 1927 team!

The playoff final would have been nice, as I think we'd have had a really good shot of staying up and establishing ourselves and the League Cup, we were so close! That Turner goal was one of the best feelings I've ever had but to win the FA Cup was something I'd always dreamed we'd do.

All 3 games are all if only but I felt against Liverpool we had a real go and was so proud that day (I still get tingles down my spine when I see Big Ben Turner equaliser on th Sky repeats of the game !! Kenny Miller missed that chance late on in normal time and hit the post with a penalty ....he could have gone down in folklore if he’d converted either of them .

In the Pompey game , I would rather have lost 3-0 and seen us really go for it , Jones was too conservative that day and had he started Ramsey who knows ? Pompey were very ordinary that day and had we shown any attacking attitude we could have beaten them!
    I stayed at end to watch Pompey lift the cup thinking I had come so close to seeing one of my childhood dreams of Cardiff City win the FA Cup final....growing up in 60/70’s, FACup was the Trophy to win ! I tried to soak it up thinking I may never be here again .....

Blackpool , I don’t think I have ever felt so low after a Cardiff City game and I have seen a few relegations over the years!!
    We relied so much on Bothroyd up front and we gave some poor goals away on the day as well as throwing away the lead twice !
    sitting on the coach waiting to go home after the game, I just wanted to be home but instead was stuck there in a roasting hit coach, watching so called Blackpool supporters walk around as if they were out on a Sunday morning stroll , no elation or euphoria!! If we’d won we would have still been in the stadium singing our heads off.

So I think

FA Cup for historical reasons and a childhood dream!

Play Off to have seen what that team could have done with a couple more quality signings in premier

League Cup because I thought we deserved it and I thought Malky had done a great job that season having to rebuild from almost scratch after Jones and others departed.