+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: World Cup draw today - UPDATED

Re: World Cup draw today 5pm

Quote Originally Posted by cyril evans awaydays View Post
    It obviously was a problem. I went to the Albania friendly where tickets were about a fiver. Though the Wales allocation sold out the end was half-full.

The last qualifying campaigns had smallish stadia so there was an issue with limited allocations that people not travelling might harvest the points. In Croatia and Hungary there were checks of the name on the ticket against an original passport. People were turned away who had their mate's tickets.

In Slovakia and Azerbaijan there was a 100% ticket collection in a hotel in the destination with potential sanctions and loyalty point loss where the tickets weren't collected.
    Sound very positive then. Thanks for the reply.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    Sound very positive then. Thanks for the reply.
    Not sure that tone's needed TBG

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    Not sure that tone's needed TBG
    Funnily enough, 'Taunton' means 'Tone Town', the 'Tone' being the river that runs through the town........

Re: World Cup draw today - UPDATED

I think England’s group
    Is not that good - they are basically in a group of three - the winner of the group will probably have to win all their matches.

Group of 5 meaning we have a friendly in the March 2021 and September 2021 international window? I think that is a positive, as long as we don't get an invite from England again, though it of course means playing one of the harder pot one teams.

Has anyone pointed out that Switzerland and Italy have been drawn together in our Euros group and now again?

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Morris View Post
    top team only.

10 second place teams get a play off place (but we already have a play off place guaranteed)
    France and Belgium have guaranteed a play-off place but as long as they and one of Italy and Spain finish in in top two of their World Cup qualifying groups, we have a fallback option into the play-offs. If all five teams now mentioned finish in top two then fallback option play-offs goes to Austria and the Czech Republic.

https://twitter.com/We_Global/status...274628/photo/1

This explains it

3 of the top 7 potential play-off teams in one group.

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    Yes it's won't be impossible to get out of the group but rubbish trips though.
    Was hoping for a bit of current bun
    Us and Czech Republic for second as Belgium red hot faves.
    Rubbish trips? Its Brussels, Prague, Tallinn and Minsk!

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    Rubbish trips? Its Brussels, Prague, Tallinn and Minsk!
    Done Prague and Brussels, I'll take Tallin though and possibly Minsk. I suppose the sun may come out.

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    https://twitter.com/We_Global/status...274628/photo/1

This explains it

3 of the top 7 potential play-off teams in one group.
    In the play off semi-finals, which are one off, the top six best ranked runners up get home ties. If we get in the play-offs via the Nations League we will be one of the two lowest seeds and play the semi away. There is an incentive to try and finish at least second in the group, though no guarantee that we will be one of the best six.

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    France and Belgium have guaranteed a play-off place but as long as they and one of Italy and Spain finish in in top two of their World Cup qualifying groups, we have a fallback option into the play-offs. If all five teams now mentioned finish in top two then fallback option play-offs goes to Austria and the Czech Republic.
    sorry, yes we have a play off place providing some top teams make the top two of their group

Has anyone gambled on booking flights for the re-arranged Euro 2020 games in Baku that are meant to take place next June?

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    Has anyone gambled on booking flights for the re-arranged Euro 2020 games in Baku that are meant to take place next June?
    Yeah, though probably throwing good money after bad. Out via Kiev, back through Istanbul to Rome then up to Bologna and home. Less than 50% chance of all those links working but sometimes it is just worth doing something to look forward to.

Best analyis I've seen from 3 Welsh people on twitter under this page: https://twitter.com/thehuwdavies

It's all about nicking top spot from Belgium, because Wales' play-off place is all but guaranteed:

1st = qualified
    2nd = play-off
    3rd or below = play-off unless TWO of France, Italy & Spain finish 3rd or below in their groups.

(Our opponents: Belgium, Czechia, Belarus, Estonia)

Retweet: Not even drawing with Belgium twice or winning one and losing is good enough. They will thrash us on goal difference with the other teams in the group.We have to win one game and draw the other against them. Not daunting at all (ends)

"But wait," I hear you ask, because in my imagination I pull the strings – "what benefit is there for Wales to finish 2nd rather than 3rd or worse?" Well, the play-offs are seeded, idiot, and the six best runners-up will play their semi-final at home (the finals' hosts are drawn)

that isn't necessarily a good thing. Would I fancy us to win a semi and then final against, say, Poland and then Switzerland, or Sweden and then Serbia (all likely opponents) especially if we're away in one or both? Not especially. We can, but I don't know that we would.

And the weird thing about it is that all we can do to change that is a) top the group, which is a huge ask as the tiebreaker is GD and not H2H, or b) do well enough to at least earn a home tie in the play-offs. One poor early result could almost render the other games moot.

I'm still positive, believe it or not, and looking forward to our matches. It just feels odd that our future seems predestined, as one of only two things can happen: we finish ahead of Belgium on points (we won't do it on GD), or face a decent side in the playoffs. Ah well.

2nd Retweet: Missing out on GD when Wales Women missed out on HTH would annoy me a lot. (ends)
    Basically, Wales need to win as many games as possible for next two years and any diversion from winning every game means we're looking at other teams and the rule book for that specific competition. Same as ever then.

The Czechs are very likely to get a playoff spot as well, due to being drawn in the same group as us and they were the 7th highest finisher in nation's league, so if the 4 highest ones don't finish 3rd or lower in their groups and we finish 2nd then the Czechs are in the playoffs as well.

If I've understood that right

Scotland draw is VERY kind. And I speak as a Welshy from a huge Scottish family. Denmark are obviously miles better than them as they are from pool 1. But they were arguably the easiest pick from that pool. And considering Scotland were in pool 3 - to have a real chance of winning the group is very fortunate indeed I’d say.

Quote Originally Posted by PhyllisStant View Post
    Scotland draw is VERY kind. And I speak as a Welshy from a huge Scottish family. Denmark are obviously miles better than them as they are from pool 1. But they were arguably the easiest pick from that pool. And considering Scotland were in pool 3 - to have a real chance of winning the group is very fortunate indeed I’d say.
    Yes it's an easy group - not that it'll matter ultimately.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    Yes it's an easy group - not that it'll matter ultimately.
    I don’t think it is. People under-estimate Denmark. They did the double over us in the Nations League. They are streetwise and very organised. Austria are a decent outfit too. Israel did well against the Scots recently too.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    The Czechs are very likely to get a playoff spot as well, due to being drawn in the same group as us and they were the 7th highest finisher in nation's league, so if the 4 highest ones don't finish 3rd or lower in their groups and we finish 2nd then the Czechs are in the playoffs as well.

If I've understood that right

My brain hurts

Fixtures order has been released now: https://twitter.com/TheWelshDragon9/...72574398406656

March #WCQ

24th v Belgium (A)
    27th/28th v FRIENDLY
    30th v Czech (H)

June EURO2020

12th v Switzerland
    16th v Turkey
    20th v Italy

Sept #WCQ
    1st/2nd v FRIENDLY
    5th v Belarus(A)
    8th v Estonia (H)

Oct #WCQ
    8th v Czech (A)
    11th v Estonia (A)

Nov #WCQ
    13th v Belarus (H)
    16th v Belgium(H)
    That is a huge, huge series of games in March 2021 now. Really hope fans are back in the stadium by then and our players are rested but in form, and their players are tired/out of form.

Belgium’s last four qualifying campaigns: P40 W34 D5 L1 F125 A18 GD+107. Wales were responsible for two of their draws and the only defeat.

https://twitter.com/thehuwdavies/sta...63073137643521
    Please let the hoodoo last one more year!!

That’s a tough start to the campaign that, one of the worst we could’ve been given next to the reverse of those fixtures.

Good chance we’ll know whether we’ll be in with any shout of topping the group or trying to secure 2nd by the time the euros come around.