Re: CARDIFF CITY v SWANSEA CITY. Match thread

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Morris View Post
    Saturday December 12th, ko 12:30pm
    Live on Sky Sports Football and Sky Sports Main Event

Match Officials:

Referee: JOHN BROOKS
    Assistants: Nick Greenhalgh and Akil Howson
    Fourth Official : Keith Stroud
    Hate these games, but the pleasure of a victory far outweighs the pain of the build up.

Jack’s match day thread. Nice write up on us, they really are obsessed

https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/footba...day-thread/#20

Quote Originally Posted by ninian opinian View Post

Oh dear

Pitiful and pathetic.

some of that's pretty funny, although the bitterness is palpable

I forgot how much more seriously they take this than we do, bless em

Has BLUETIT seen who the fourth official is yet?

Whatever happens on Saturday, Cardiff will still be their Capital and they will still have that dirty great big chip on their shoulder.

The older I get, the dafter I find this as a fixture. Find it hard to take the stoking up of the rivalry seriously, all feels a little forced, although appreciate I’m likely in a minority.

Will be a strange one without supporters, may translate to a bit less bullishness on the pitch and may result in less of a cagey affair without a crowd. We couldn’t be in better form and them lot are in good nick themselves tbf so hopefully a better affair than the efforts thrown up last season.

And should the worse comes to the worst, we pick ourselves up and dust ourselves off against Taffs Well about an hour later!

This Saturday will see the 69th South Wales derby, excluding Welsh cup competitions. Our overall record in English competition is won 22, drawn 18, lost 28, scored 78, conceded 88. In Welsh cup competitions, we've won 23 out of 36, losing only 7. It's a bit of a mystery why we have dominated in the Welsh cup against them, especially as we've lost 6 and only won 3 out of cup ties played in the English system.

Frankie Burrows holds the record of managing the most South Wales derbies with 12, excluding those in the Welsh system. Of those he won 3, lost 3 and drew 6. Dave Jones managed 7, Eddie May and Cyril Spiers 6, Bill Jones and Alan Durban 5.

Malky Mackay is the only Cardiff manager with a 100% record against the Jacks, though he only managed 1 game against them! Len Ashurst had a win percentage of 66.7% (from 3 games), Spiers, Morris and Scoular all at 50%. Eddie May, Fred Stewart, Frankie Burrows and Dave Jones have the lowest win percentages (bar those who have managed just once against Swansea. There are 5, though Harris will move off that list on Saturday - quiz question to name the 4 Cardiff managers who have taken charge of one solitary derby....)

Osman, May, Scoular and Durban have the worst loss percentages (again bar the one game wonders).

Back to the English pyramid, this will be the 37th meeting in the second tier, where we've won 13, drawn 10 and lost 13, scoring 53, conceding 49. Cyril Spiers holds the record for most wins in this division against Swansea with 3; Dave Jones and Bill Jones have won 2 apiece.

We have failed to score in any of our last 3 derbies. In the league, we've never failed to score in 4, so an uneviable record awaits if we can't find the net. Failure to score in the derby usually means defeat - there's only been 6 goalless draws out of 21 times when we haven't scored. Similarly, we've won 16 out of 22 times when Swansea haven't scored. There have been 43 clean sheets in 68 derbies.

We have scored 3 or more against Swansea on 7 occasions. We have conceded 3 or more on 12 occasions. The last time we managed 3 against Swansea was on Boxing Day in 1983, 41 derbies ago. During that time, Swansea have scored 3 or more on 5 occasions.

Our longest winless run was 8 games against them between 1997 and Chopra's winner in 2010. Their longest winless run was 5 games. There's never been a double in the derby. Back to back wins have been pretty scarce, it's only happened 11 times, 4 to Cardiff, 7 to Swansea.

December has been the most popular month to hold the derby, when it's been played in that month 15 times. We've won 8 of those and only lost 2 in December. Maybe a good omen? Much of the reason is that we played each other 5 times for the Boxing day punch up between 1983-89. We never lost to them on a Boxing day during that period.

Recent form isn't great. We've won 3 of the last 15 derbies against them since 1997. Having said that, Swansea have only won once in their last 6 visits to Cardiff and haven't scored in their last two visits.

Swansea have only won 5 league games in Cardiff. Until 1990, they had won once in 18 attempts in the league. Since 1990, they've won more games in Cardiff against us in the league than we have, during which period we've failed to score 5 times and only managed more than one goal twice.

Final stat: The last 4 South Wales derbies have seen us with 4 different managers.

Neither team has done a League double over the other

Quote Originally Posted by Kind of Blue View Post
    The older I get, the dafter I find this as a fixture. Find it hard to take the stoking up of the rivalry seriously, all feels a little forced, although appreciate I’m likely in a minority.

Will be a strange one without supporters, may translate to a bit less bullishness on the pitch and may result in less of a cagey affair without a crowd. We couldn’t be in better form and them lot are in good nick themselves tbf so hopefully a better affair than the efforts thrown up last season.

And should the worse comes to the worst, we pick ourselves up and dust ourselves off against Taffs Well about an hour later!

Hopefully we win on the weekend, but I still think Swansea have a better chance of going up than us and we ultimately need the premier league money coming into south Wales.

Which leads to more stats!!

We've won the first derby of the season 8 times, Swansea 12 times, 9 draws. Obviously the draws mean there will be no double.

In the first derby of the season, we've won 1 of the last 9, Swansea have won 6. Worryingly, we've won 1 of the last 5 at home when the first derby has been in Cardiff.

On the 12 occasions we've lost the first derby of the season, we've won the 2nd 9 times. On the 8 occasions we've won the first derby, they've won the 2nd 7 times.

It may also be interesting to note that the first derby of the season has only been won by more than one goal once. All the big wins have occurred in the second derby.

Quote Originally Posted by UNDERHILL1927 View Post
    Pitiful and pathetic.
    Really odd people

Planet swans split from that site leaving what looks like a right wing boo the knee festival behind....swansea loyal and all that nonsense.
    Lovely people

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    Planet swans split from that site leaving what looks like a right wing boo the knee festival behind....swansea loyal and all that nonsense.
    Lovely people
    To give them credit I had a look at the Millwall thread and the majority of them were outraged at the booing, like we were.

Is the discrepancy in League and Welsh Cup because in the Welsh Cup a lot of the time we didnt play in the league as the clubs were at different levels.

Therefore when we did meet we generally won as our side was much better as we were the team normally at the higher level.

Quote Originally Posted by Kind of Blue View Post

Always felt it was a bit forced myself. Besides the 6 months I spent working there ive not really ever known any of their fans and have probably met less than a handful. Its a rivalry of sorts but always felt we were a bit robbed of a proper one.

Similar distance to Bristol, what is it 40 odd miles?

I appreciate for those city fans who live closer to them then it is probably a very different experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    Is the discrepancy in League and Welsh Cup because in the Welsh Cup a lot of the time we didnt play in the league as the clubs were at different levels.

Therefore when we did meet we generally won as our side was much better as we were the team normally at the higher level.
    7 of the Welsh cup ties were played when we were in a lower division than Swansea. We won 4 and drew 3. Swansea won a number of their ties against us when they were in a lower division.

In 1993/94 they beat us in the league and lower division cup. We beat them over 2 legs in the Welsh cup.

Still find this incredible.

Quote Originally Posted by UNDERHILL1927 View Post
    Hate these games, but the pleasure of a victory far outweighs the pain of the build up.
    Me too. Absolutely hate the though of losing to them. Rather not play them at all TBH.

What a clown that Notloyal is He makes himself and the few that like his posts look very silly.
    He's probably some wannabee hooligan teenager whose still a virgin with a little todger who craves attention.
    Cloud cuckoo land must be a part of Swansea

Swansea have the meanest defence in the division, only conceding 10 from 17 games.
    We have the joint 3rd meanest conceding 14, but obviously in recent weeks we have been more solid.

Might not be goals galore in this one.

Although we've shown that we are very strong against aerial balls into the box, we can be vulnerable to pace and incisive passing, and I assume Swansea aren't a lump it up to a big guy kind of team these days.

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    some of that's pretty funny, although the bitterness is palpable

I forgot how much more seriously they take this than we do, bless em
    Our pathetic performance at the Liberty last season left me thinking that the Swansea team and management "got" what the game was all about far more than ours. I'll admit that, as a fan, it's not the be all and end all as far as I'm concerned, but the jacks have been, if not dominant, the stronger team since the games started up again after their promotion to the second tier, I think that, generally speaking, they've wanted it more than since then.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Our pathetic performance at the Liberty last season left me thinking that the Swansea team and management "got" what the game was all about far more than ours. I'll admit that, as a fan, it's not the be all and end all as far as I'm concerned, but the jacks have been, if not dominant, the stronger team since the games started up again after their promotion to the second tier, I think that, generally speaking, they've wanted it more than since then.

It’s the “UNDERDOG” mentality !!!!

It’s their “CUP FINAL”