+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: City TV Commentators

Re: City TV Commentators

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    These commentary jobs are often second jobs. A bit like these semi-professional footballers and coaches.
    The pay supplements their normal wage.
    I know, I said that to you in the previous message

[QUOTE=City123;5143743]I think they're pretty decent, heard far worse commentators than those two

Agreed - Mark Denham last night I think and Ash is very good summariser and they are not particularly biased

I like them as well, to be honest. However a couple of times this season, they've had players or coaches sitting in on the game, and they have always been interesting. They can comment about why a team plays a certain way, and how it works, or why a player made a particular move, or how the forwards made that gap appear in the defence. It's all very informative, and they are pointing out things that the average fan simply wouldn't be aware of.
    So a good mixture of amateur and pro (player/coach) would get my vote.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    I know, I said that to you in the previous message
    Did you really? Where?

Did you really? Where?
    In post 8

These people are part of the media team for the club and have probably been pushed into the role, rather than the other way around

In post 8
    Not the same at all.

Just to clarify, I wasn't talking about the CCFC commentators (who as I have said I havent got a problem with) I'm referring to the Rob Phillips type commentators who, although probably aren't massively paid, get a decent wedge supplementing their day job and as such should provide a better service.

He's the TV equivalent of Rob Phillips except you can tell where the ball is and when he shouts "here's a chance" you know whether you want a goal to go in or a shot saved.

I really do not know how these people get these jobs. Who you know no doubt.
    I'm surprised by that. I rate Rob Phillips as a commentator, rarely misses anything, passionate about the game, accurate. He's the best BBC Wales have had for years. John Hardy was a talker who occasionally commentated. Ian Gwyn Hughes was probably better on radio.

I've still got the recordings from Euro 2016 when the Beeb shared the platform between Radio Wales and Radio 5, giving John Murray and Rob Phillips half a game each. Phillips was definitely on a par with Murray and I quite like that he has a little bit of humour about him. If he moved, Radio Wales would have a massive problem as there's nobody else anywhere near his level at the station.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    I'm surprised by that. I rate Rob Phillips as a commentator, rarely misses anything, passionate about the game, accurate. He's the best BBC Wales have had for years. John Hardy was a talker who occasionally commentated. Ian Gwyn Hughes was probably better on radio.

I've still got the recordings from Euro 2016 when the Beeb shared the platform between Radio Wales and Radio 5, giving John Murray and Rob Phillips half a game each. Phillips was definitely on a par with Murray and I quite like that he has a little bit of humour about him. If he moved, Radio Wales would have a massive problem as there's nobody else anywhere near his level at the station.
    Rob Phillips is really bloody good. I really shake my head when I see the criticism he gets at times.

Sure now and again he misses something but Christ if you hear some of the other commentators around the country...

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    Rob Phillips is really bloody good. I really shake my head when I see the criticism he gets at times.

Sure now and again he misses something but Christ if you hear some of the other commentators around the country...
    Agreed Phillips is great and gets a lot of undeserved stick

People just like moaning I guess