Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    https://beertoday.co.uk/brains-sale-1220/

Who will buy 160 pubs ???????
    The WAG?

Re: Brains Beer Up For Sale

I've not got any sympathy for Brains owners. There has been mo investment in their estate for years and they have either sold off pubs already or converted them to coffee shops(now owned by Cafe Nero).
    They will use the pandemic as an excuse. I reality its bad management.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    The WAG?
    Indeed, perhaps he will nationalise them , or would he then close them down

Quote Originally Posted by Former Labour leader View Post
    I've not got any sympathy for Brains owners. There has been mo investment in their estate for years and they have either sold off pubs already or converted them to coffee shops(now owned by Cafe Nero).
    They will use the pandemic as an excuse. I reality its bad management.
    Damn right, I started a thread the other week about them. They’ve got a cheek blaming the WAG and covid etc, they’ve been shutting decent pubs for years, bunch of tosses.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Damn right, I started a thread the other week about them. They’ve got a cheek blaming the WAG and covid etc, they’ve been shutting decent pubs for years, bunch of tosses.
    Haven't most breweries been shutting once decent pubs over the last decade?

If they don't make a profit then they shut, people pre covid drank far less in pubs than they once did and there's only so many pub grub type places that are needed.

Post covid it's far worse.

Their pubs are no longer that attractive to the paying public I find there beer awful , the food on offer is not good and over priced, will be intresting to see what Casttell Howell do now as they are their food supplier .

The UK has moved on from pubs.

Youngsters as a mass don’t really care about going to the pub as much as 40+ do

Cheap alcohol and WhatsApp has offset its biggest selling points

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    The UK has moved on from pubs.

Youngsters as a mass don’t really care about going to the pub as much as 40+ do

Cheap alcohol and WhatsApp has offset its biggest selling points
    The younger generation don't drink as much,either. They're not culturally programmed to sit and drink in a pub like generations before. Pubs were great for the community on plenty of levels, sadly, that side of community is almost gone, especially is the poorer areas of the City. In the more affluent areas there is still a 'Pub culture' although probably not like it was 20 years ago.

Selling them off individually would be good

Their pubs are no longer that attractive to the paying public I find there beer awful , the food on offer is not good and over priced, will be intresting to see what Casttell Howell do now as they are their food supplier .
    Castell Howell were hitting big problems a few months ago. Highly geared, dont fancy a lot their chances.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    The younger generation don't drink as much,either. They're not culturally programmed to sit and drink in a pub like generations before. Pubs were great for the community on plenty of levels, sadly, that side of community is almost gone, especially is the poorer areas of the City. In the more affluent areas there is still a 'Pub culture' although probably not like it was 20 years ago.
    I know a fella who is getting on now but back in the day he used to help folk buy up pubs , he would always say only buy a pub if you can see lots of burning chimney stacks .

Horrible beer , throw it in the taff

Pubs have had it anyway , apart from the ones that do good food in the one room and have the boozers in the other

No money in a few old fellas coming in for a couple of pints , bars , cocktails are where the money is now

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post

Pubs have had it anyway , apart from the ones that do good food in the one room and have the boozers in the other

No money in a few old fellas coming in for a couple of pints , bars , cocktails are where the money is now
    I’d say the booze aisle in the supermarket is where the money is now, unfortunately.

Developers with an eye to building on the pub car parks/converting the pubs into houses/flats. Of 9 pubs in our village, 5 have gone for housing. It's the way things are going. A great shame as the concept of "your local" continues to decline.

it's hardly horrible, it's unremarkable at worst.

Otley in pontypridd made some excellent beers and they went out of business a few years ago, brains won't be the last to go in this current climate.

I’d say the booze aisle in the supermarket is where the money is now, unfortunately.
    hard Seltzer's will be the next big thing.

Dear me, shopping online, gambling online, drinking in the house, more and more televised sport, working from home, Just Eat!I’m glad I lived in the era I lived in, we’re heading into a world full of strangers, no bugger will be mixing with anyone else.

They are a business in a declining sector. That hardly makes them 'tosses'

I find sitting in a pub boring

And drunk people very boring

I would rather sit in a coffee shop

Isn't Bales place opposite the Castle a Brain's Pub?

I find sitting in a pub boring

And drunk people very boring

I would rather sit in a coffee shop
    I like going in the pub occasionally .

I raise you with .....

I cant stand coffee shops .

such an interesting debate.

Quote Originally Posted by IanD View Post
    Developers with an eye to building on the pub car parks/converting the pubs into houses/flats. Of 9 pubs in our village, 5 have gone for housing. It's the way things are going. A great shame as the concept of "your local" continues to decline.
    You had nine pubs... in a village? If you've still got four pubs left, then that sounds reasonable... for a village.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy the Jock View Post

I raise you with .....

I find pub life fascinating.

I find drunk people amusing.

Hate Coffee shops they are so sensible

Interesting debate

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy the Jock View Post

I raise you with .....

Exactly the same, you can go out for an evening, take in a few pubs and be out for a good few hours meeting different people, enjoying different venues. Go in a coffee shop, have a coffee, ten minutes tops, so what do you do then? Go to another coffee shop, then another and another, dear God you’d be awake for f*ckin* days with all that caffeine. You’d be skint as well, they’re a right rip off.