+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Brains Beer Up For Sale

Re: Brains Beer Up For Sale

They can’t possibly sell up - We Need Our Brains!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    They are a business in a declining sector. That hardly makes them 'tosses'
    Well I hope they show honesty and say this is the reason for their culling and not play the covid card. In my opinion they’ve accelerated the decline by actually making a lot of their pubs unattractive to punters, then using the inevitable falling sales the reason for turning them into blocks of flats.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Well I hope they show honesty and say this is the reason for their culling and not play the covid card. In my opinion they’ve accelerated the decline by actually making a lot of their pubs unattractive to punters, then using the inevitable falling sales the reason for turning them into blocks of flats.
    And making a tidy personal buck .

Exactly the same, you can go out for an evening, take in a few pubs and be out for a good few hours meeting different people, enjoying different venues. Go in a coffee shop, have a coffee, ten minutes tops, so what do you do then? Go to another coffee shop, then another and another, dear God you’d be awake for f*ckin* days with all that caffeine. You’d be skint as well, they’re a right rip off.
    And all those damaging sugar's in cake and biscuits, far better off with your real ale , pork scratchings which goes towards yer five a day , you try saying feck it in a Coffee shop , they never got horse racing on either, whats that all about ??

Bought out by Marston's

Good news for jobs in the short term
    Good news for Brains
    Good news for Brains beer that will be continue to be sold
    Bad news for homogenous **** pubs
    Bad news for beer

Won't be surprised if some will be sold off and redeveloped

Do you think that they deliberately made their pubs unattractive in order to make their business fail in order to sell of the premises as property? And do you think that Covid has not made it far more difficult for pubs to maintain profitability?

Exactly the same, you can go out for an evening, take in a few pubs and be out for a good few hours meeting different people, enjoying different venues. Go in a coffee shop, have a coffee, ten minutes tops, so what do you do then? Go to another coffee shop, then another and another, dear God you’d be awake for f*ckin* days with all that caffeine. You’d be skint as well, they’re a right rip off.
    I've found going for a beer in my (now old) local up the road, the boys are generally sat there on their phones. You can't beat a raucous Sunday afternoon session, but these are becoming fewer and farther between. Always manage a good session on a lads trip, can't tell you when the next one will be!

Brains pubs have just been sold to Marston's.

I hope no employees will lose their jobs.

Brains estate has suffered from a singular lack of investment over many years. I dont know the actual reason for this but can I suggest bad management.

A cursory look at the accounts show the firm as being highly geared and not in a position to survive the pandemic, despite having pocketed large sums from the sale of their coffee shops to Cafe Nero.

Brains tried blaming the WG's response to the pandemic initially. Seems a bit hollow now.

First Team light up the darkness's Avatar

“...this transaction enables Brains to recapitalise its balance sheet and continue its long heritage as an independent entity, preserving this great Welsh business for generations to come.”

I’m interested to understand more about the future intentions of a local brewing company that doesn’t own any pubs.

The deal was needed "to address Brains' immediate funding requirements".

What are they going to do with the money?

Anyway the CEO blames Drakeford for the demise and as pointed out earlier they take no blame for years of poor management and lack of strategic intent

Quote Originally Posted by light up the darkness View Post
    “...this transaction enables Brains to recapitalise its balance sheet and continue its long heritage as an independent entity, preserving this great Welsh business for generations to come.”

I’m interested to understand more about the future intentions of a local brewing company that doesn’t own any pubs.

The deal was needed "to address Brains' immediate funding requirements".

What are they going to do with the money?

Anyway the CEO blames Drakeford for the demise and as pointed out earlier they take no blame for years of poor management and lack of strategic intent
    Presumably the pubs will all serve marstons at some point in the near future.
    What are Brains going to do then?
    Concentrate on cans and bottles?

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    The UK has moved on from pubs.

Youngsters as a mass don’t really care about going to the pub as much as 40+ do

Cheap alcohol and WhatsApp has offset its biggest selling points
    I think you are right, there has been a huge cultural swing away from sitting in pubs. At my age, memories of Brains beers and pubs were the norm until you had 30-40 brands of lager coming on the scene. No difference in taste and freezing cold. Never been my cup of tea ?
    Can’t say I know much of Marstons beers but let’s hope the economic impact on Wales and jobs is minimised.
    God knows we are getting more than our share of bad news

Quote Originally Posted by Former Labour leader View Post
    Brains pubs have just been sold to Marston's.

I hope no employees will lose their jobs.

Brains estate has suffered from a singular lack of investment over many years. I dont know the actual reason for this but can I suggest bad management.

A cursory look at the accounts show the firm as being highly geared and not in a position to survive the pandemic, despite having pocketed large sums from the sale of their coffee shops to Cafe Nero.

Brains tried blaming the WG's response to the pandemic initially. Seems a bit hollow now.
    Did they own the site by the river they sold a few years ago? Must have been worth a fortune if they did

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    Did they own the site by the river they sold a few years ago? Must have been worth a fortune if they did
    Hancock's wasn't it , opposite the glorious In On The River .

Marston's beers in my opinion than Brians , presume they mix both brands ??

In May 2020, it was announced that subject to competition law and shareholder approval, Marston's would merge its brewing business with Carlsberg UK (the United Kingdom arm of Carlsberg Group), into a joint venture valued at £780m. Marston's will take a 40% stake in the joint venture and receive up to £273m in cash. The deal will involve Marston's six breweries and distribution depots, but not its 1,400 pubs.[16][17] The merger was approved by the Competition and Markets Authority on 9 October 2020. The new brewing company will be headquartered in Wolverhampton and be known as Carlsberg Marston's Brewing Company. It was also announced that the transaction was expected to be completed by the end of October 2020.[18] The same month, the company announced that it will cut over 2,150 jobs (a fifth of their employees) as a result of the strict UK government measures to fight the spread of the COVID-19 pandemic.[19]
    From Marston's wiki page.

Looks like they got a wedge of cash by merging its brewing business with Carlsberg UK, laid off a fifth of the workforce and blamed it on the government

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post

Looks like they got a wedge of cash by merging its brewing business with Carlsberg UK, laid off a fifth of the workforce and blamed it on the government
    As they don't have a huge footprint in Wales perhaps jobs loss will be minimal, they may grow the business and jobs as a consequence in an industry where so many pubs are closing .

I can only think of two in Cardiff Monkstone Inn , Sand Martin ,Ffynnon Wen , there are one or two's scattered around in Caerphilly, Merthyr

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    As they don't have a huge footprint in Wales perhaps jobs loss will be minimal, they may grow the business and jobs as a consequence in an industry where so many pubs are closing .

I can only think of two in Cardiff Monkstone Inn , Sand Martin ,Ffynnon Wen , there are one or two's scattered around in Caerphilly, Merthyr
    Only been in the Fynon wen out of those, which was absolutely dreadful everytime I've been in.

Marston's seemed to have focussed more on new gastropubs. Several new builds down my way and were doing ok. Other older Marston pubs I know of are awful.

Quote Originally Posted by Former Labour leader View Post
    Marston's seemed to have focussed more on new gastropubs. Several new builds down my way and were doing ok. Other older Marston pubs I know of are awful.
    The Red Kite in Caerphilly is Marstons. To call it a Gastropub would be probably stretching the definition, but it's good at what it does.
    Selling cheap food.
    It has more in common with a harvester than a pub though.

Quote Originally Posted by DubaiDai View Post
    I think you are right, there has been a huge cultural swing away from sitting in pubs. At my age, memories of Brains beers and pubs were the norm until you had 30-40 brands of lager coming on the scene. No difference in taste and freezing cold. Never been my cup of tea ?
    Can’t say I know much of Marstons beers but let’s hope the economic impact on Wales and jobs is minimised.
    God knows we are getting more than our share of bad news
    Its hardly a surprise, 4 pints costs a lot more than 4 cans

I like pubs, they beat drinking at someone's house, but if you don't have much disposable income but still want to go out, you'll drink cans round someone's house before going out rather than drinking in the pub

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post

The Sandmartin, nearest pub to the ground that doesn’t welcome City fans for a pint, ridiculous situation

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    Do you think that they deliberately made their pubs unattractive in order to make their business fail in order to sell of the premises as property? And do you think that Covid has not made it far more difficult for pubs to maintain profitability?

Yep to both questions. But Brains sold the patrons of their locals down the river way before the pandemic.

There's a {newish) Marstons pub in Pembroke Dock

The Sandmartin, nearest pub to the ground that doesn’t welcome City fans for a pint, ridiculous situation
    Administered and ordered by the Council not Marston as part if the agreement to allow its build , welcome to the controlled environment of Wales.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post

Yes I think Carlsburg bailed them out, they own 60% Marstons 40% of the new combined business.

Brains pubs have expensive larger like Peroni and Amstel is the cheapest I think? I suppose they will flood them with relatively cheap Carlsburg?