+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How much unpaid overtime do you do?

Re: How much unpaid overtime do you do?

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Go on, enlighten me....
    In my sector (NHS) I know of many, many instances of nurses and technical staff working extra hours on a regular basis and not getting paid - its ridiculous but everyone is committed - and this has got worse since covid...I'm not sure what else to say really to be honest.

None.

If I'm offered overtime I prefer the time back anyway. Work to live not live to work.

If there's anything good about working on the clock in a production environment it's that you get paid for every minute you work.

Everybody should get paid for every minute of work they do, no matter what they do.

I'm contracted to 37.5 hours per week, and that's exactly what I work. If they want me to do more, then they have to pay me appropriately.

Quote Originally Posted by I'll give you the Malky!! View Post
    In my sector (NHS) I know of many, many instances of nurses and technical staff working extra hours on a regular basis and not getting paid - its ridiculous but everyone is committed - and this has got worse since covid...I'm not sure what else to say really to be honest.
    We banged our saucepans for you what more do you want you ungrateful sod?

Quote Originally Posted by Cardiff Dutch View Post
    I’m on a 40 hour a week contract but always work around 55 per week. I typically work 12 hour days Mon-Thurs (7 til 7) with half day on a Friday (4 hours). Then a couple of hours over the weekend. My job is pretty stressful so the long hours do take it’s toll mentally, but I do get looked after by the company in other ways. And finishing at 11am on Fridays is amazing!
    I’m more like this too. I’m officially paid 38 hours a week but it’s been largely a function of my career that to be successful you have to put more hours in... Work, for many is tasks driven by others ...mine has nearly always been results driven with tasks driven by me...the maxim of ‘the harder I work, the luckier I get’ holds true for me at least...

The problem is the impact on your time... the more senior I’ve got in organizations the longer I work.

I regularly do 60 hour weeks. I’m paid pretty well I guess, but that also is a big contributing factor.... it motivates me to keep going so that I continue to enjoy that level of compensation.

Bonus is also a huge time motivator but that’s also results driven... for many (me included) it can be more than an extra 50% of salary... when it looks like a great bonus year is taking shape I think it is human nature that the amount of effort becomes commensurate with the potential return

I reckon I’m about 3-5 years from jacking it all in and changing to consultancy so that I work when I want to and not because I need to

Quote Originally Posted by Optimistic Nick View Post
    Hard to know because my contract says something like 35 hours, plus whatever is needed. I certainly do more than 35. I imagine I average about 50, but some weeks can be mental and I’ll do 80+. I actually took a job that was more traditional 9-5 but couldn’t deal with the lack of stress so went back to the one I’m in now. Sometimes I hate it and sometimes it gets a bit too much, but on the whole it’s a rewarding job and on the whole I like it. What does irritate me is when people assume I’m ok to work whenever they want, in particular my colleagues in the US.
    I got the same with colleagues in Arizona. They log on at 3pm my time, call a one hour meeting, and ask if it can be completed today. Six hours work here guys, and I've been working 7 hours already.