+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Whilst I hate any 'love-in'/admiration towards the Jacks, have we ever had a right back as good as Connor Roberts?

Whilst I hate any 'love-in'/admiration towards the Jacks, have we ever had a right back as good as Connor Roberts?

A regular for probably the most successful Welsh team in history.

Did pretty well in the PL although Rangel was first choice for a long time.

Watching him last week, he played most of the game around our 18 yard box and didn't waste a pass, whether it be keeping possession in triangles or putting a ball in the box.

I take on board that he is used as a wing back and therefore has cover behind him but he really is an impressive player, he defends well, gets forward with purpose and chips in with a few goals.

So, looking back, have we had a right back as good?

Most would mention McNaughton and whilst he was excellent defensively, he was was shocking once he got past the half way line. The same could be said about Phil Dwyer (started as a right back in the 70's) and a favourite of mine, Lyndon Jones. I will also mention Peltier as he was a solid pro but bloody useless going forward.

I think the best right back we had was Mark Delaney but we were in division 3 at the time but he did ok at Aston Villa & Wales at a higher level.

On the left side, I do think Andy Legg was on par with Roberts and also Ray Daniel was decent.

Maybe i've missed someone?

Re: Whilst I hate any 'love-in'/admiration towards the Jacks, have we ever had a right back as good as Connor Roberts?

What, you mean a diving cheating barsteward !!!!!!!!!

I bloody well hope not, I despise him (even in a Welsh shirt)

Re: Whilst I hate any 'love-in'/admiration towards the Jacks, have we ever had a right back as good as Connor Roberts?

Quote Originally Posted by blueblade View Post

Watching him last week, he played most of the game around our 18 yard box and didn't waste a pass, whether it be keeping possession in triangles or putting a ball in the box.

I take on board that he is used as a wing back and therefore has cover behind him but he really is an impressive player, he defends well, gets forward with purpose and chips in with a few goals.

Most would mention McNaughton and whilst he was excellent defensively, he was was shocking once he got past the half way line. The same could be said about Phil Dwyer (started as a right back in the 70's) and a favourite of mine, Lyndon Jones. I will also mention Peltier as he was a solid pro but bloody useless going forward.

I think the best right back we had was Mark Delaney but we were in division 3 at the time but he did ok at Aston Villa & Wales at a higher level.

On the left side, I do think Andy Legg was on par with Roberts and also Ray Daniel was decent.

David Carver

He'll end up getting a lot less caps than Neco

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    David Carver
    Carver rarely gets mentioned in despatches but he was a solid, tough defender, would cope well in today's team imo.

Andy Kerr.

Joking aside I dont think Roberts is that good.

I'd take SuperKev over him. Quite possibly in a blue-tinted specs way.

Quote Originally Posted by blueblade View Post

Must have imagined Chris Gunter at right back at the Euros

Wasn't here long but Mark Delaney head and shoulder above anything had since, he was superb in Premier league as well.

For me KTC was a better player than McNaughton. I never quite had the love in with him that other fans did. I'd have had Peltier over him as well.

For about 4 months Kerrea Gilbert was it.

David Carver
    Best crosser of the ball but he got a lot of stick from the people around me on the Bob Bank. What about Phil Dwyer? But the best full back we have ever had was Mark Delaney.

Superkev by a mile

Quote Originally Posted by mazadona10 View Post
    Wasn't here long but Mark Delaney head and shoulder above anything had since, he was superb in Premier league as well.

For me KTC was a better player than McNaughton. I never quite had the love in with him that other fans did. I'd have had Peltier over him as well.
    McNaughton was very overrated on here

Alan Harrington

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    McNaughton was very overrated on here
    I agree. While McNaughton was a very good player, towards the end of his stint here he was a liability.

Connor Roberts is awful when he plays for Wales.
    He offers nothing going forward and is dodgy defensively.

Neco is the future there and I’d rather Gunter if he’s not available.

Quote Originally Posted by Cleve van Leef View Post
    Alan Harrington
    Wasn't he more of a defensive right half, than a full back. ?

Never saw him play for us, but my Dad used to rave about Alf Sherwood. Peter Rodrigues was a good player and any discussion has to include Phil Dwyer, but Mark Delaney would be my choice - although he only played in Division Four for us, he was like no other right back I'd seen at City as he would have a huge influence on matches from that position. Also, any doubts about how he'd do at a higher level were dispelled as soon as he got into the Villa side and, of course, there was that great night when he and Simon Davies terrorised the left side of Italy's defence!

Yes, way better:

Peter Rodrigues
    Dave Carver
    Phil Dwyer
    Mark Delaney
    Danny Gabbidon
    Kevin McNaughton
    Bruno Ecule Manga

And that's not delving back into the pre-1965 days.

StT.
    <><

Manga was a great centre half but you cannot think he was a good right back. He coped ok there but you could always see how uncomfortable he was there.

David Carver
    Agreed.

the finest man marker the club has had in my time.

We played QPR when Rodney Marsh was at his best.

Marsh didn't get a kick.

David Carver
    And the best left back was Gary Bell in my opinion ,top fella as well .

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    For about 4 months Kerrea Gilbert was it.
    I came here to say this. That side under DJ was superb with him at right back.

Saying that Mark Delaney would be my choice.

You're getting quinned talking like that

When I think of great FBs, Connor Roberts isn't really the first to come to mind.