+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ‘The Ripper’

‘The Ripper’

Just watched the documentary on Netflix, compelling viewing, more so being of the age to have remembered it. The police of the time don’t exactly come out of it very well, actual footage highlights extreme incompetence at a high level made even more obvious by how he was eventually caught by routine ‘coppering’.

Re: ‘The Ripper’

Finished watching it this morning.
    Seen a few programmes about him in the past, but this one included more input from the survivors and the families of the victims.
    The smugness and smiles on the faces of the police, when they announced Sutcliffe had been caught, made me feel sick. Not an ounce of compassion for the poor victims.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    Seen a few programmes about him in the past, but this one included more input from the survivors and the families of the victims.
    The smugness and smiles on the faces of the police, when they announced Sutcliffe had been caught, made me feel sick. Not an ounce of compassion for the poor victims.
    ‘We're delighted’ with big ‘back slapping’ smiles on the faces of the police hierarchy was quite disgusting given the suffering that the victims and their families went, and are still, going through, even more disgusting was the fact that his killing spree went on a lot longer due to the incompetence at their level and it was run of the mill coppers who put the brakes on the monster.

The Cardiff Docks 3

Utter stitch up , right on our doorstep

All retired on pensions now

Lynette white was not the only victim

I watched all four episodes while it was bucketing down on Friday. I wasn't expecting a great deal from it because, as you say, there's been plenty of similar such programmes down the years, but this one was better than most of them.

If you're interested in this case, 'Wicked Beyond Belief - the Hunt for the Yorkshire Ripper' by Michael Bilton is about as good as it gets in terms of true crime writing.

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    The Cardiff Docks 3

Utter stitch up , right on our doorstep

All retired on pensions now

Lynette white was not the only victim
    My son told me this morning that a similar documentary to ‘The Ripper’ is being made about the Cardiff three. If it’s as open as the ripper one it should be very interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    My son told me this morning that a similar documentary to ‘The Ripper’ is being made about the Cardiff three. If it’s as open as the ripper one it should be very interesting.
    There is a radio program by the BBC, I think. The repercussions of their false imprisonment destroyed those lads lives. It shocked me when I listened to it , to the core.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy the Jock View Post
    There is a radio program by the BBC, I think. The repercussions of their false imprisonment destroyed those lads lives. It shocked me when I listened to it , to the core.
    Daniel was telling me that the documentary being made is a sort of ‘screening of the podcast’ Jim.

Daniel was telling me that the documentary being made is a sort of ‘screening of the podcast’ Jim.
    As we know they were no angels Steve, its hard to believe that such an injustice could be done in modern life.
    The cost to them all destroyed them in one way or another. Disgusting..

I watched it. I thought there should have been an entire episode done as an epilogue that listed in detail all the cock-ups made by the police. A chronology of all the times Sutcliffe was questioned would have been a start. I think they failed to identify "Wearside Jack" too. But I may be mistaken.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    I think they failed to identify "Wearside Jack" too. But I may be mistaken.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wearside_Jack

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    I watched it. I thought there should have been an entire episode done as an epilogue that listed in detail all the cock-ups made by the police. A chronology of all the times Sutcliffe was questioned would have been a start. I think they failed to identify "Wearside Jack" too. But I may be mistaken.
    How the hell they managed to identify him as one of only 300 men who could have had the fiver, while looking identical to the photofit and interview him 9 times, with various detectives to suspect him is absolutely mental.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    How the hell they managed to identify him as one of only 300 men who could have had the fiver, while looking identical to the photofit and interview him 9 times, with various detectives to suspect him is absolutely mental.
    I think the situation would have been very different today with the aid of computers to cross-reference everything. They were using hand-written card indexes back then and the eventual scale of the investigation overwhelmed them in the end. Some horrendous mistakes were made, though.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    I meant in the documentary.

I think the situation would have been very different today with the aid of computers to cross-reference everything. They were using hand-written card indexes back then and the eventual scale of the investigation overwhelmed them in the end. Some horrendous mistakes were made, though.
    The weight of the ever increasing paperwork meant that the floor of the first floor investigation office had to be strengthened from the ground floor with concrete columns. Why they didn’t just move to the ground floor was perhaps beyond the intelligence of the incompetent team

As we know they were no angels Steve, its hard to believe that such an injustice could be done in modern life.
    The cost to them all destroyed them in one way or another. Disgusting..

I hope the eventual screening tells the whole tale, terrible that the general consensus of opinion is that guilt didn’t come into the equation, locking up naughty boys by hook or by crook was the objective.

'Murder in the Dock' on BBC Sounds could be what you're thinking of. It's in 13 parts, but dont let that put you off. It's compelling stuff.

Agreed but as is said in the doc, some detectives thought it was him and dismissed cos he didn't have a Wearside accent. The top brass mishandled it spectacularly.

I hope the eventual screening tells the whole tale, terrible that the general consensus of opinion is that guilt didn’t come into the equation, locking up naughty boys by hook or by crook was the objective.
    Basically 5 blokes were fitted up

If someone is a drunk driver , he's charged with drink driving , not murder

All those involved in framing these blokes got away with it and most went onto pensions

Those sent to prison had their lives ruined , some have died , it doesn't matter that they had police history what matters is they were innocent of a brutal crime

Someone I know was a police officer and may still be as I don't have anything to do with her now and when I said this was one of the worst miscarriages of justice in British legal history her reply was yeah but it was a long time ago and it wouldn't happen now ?

Ff sake

Praise must go however to the detective who was handed the case and finally nailed the killer 👏 the vast majority of police officers are decent people

That will be worth watching

Shocking

They wanted those guys behind bars , it didn't matter what they could get them for

Bloody Valentine by John Williams is a good read

'Murder in the Dock' on BBC Sounds could be what you're thinking of. It's in 13 parts, but dont let that put you off. It's compelling stuff.
    It was brilliant, a complete and utter stitch up, we've got these locked up now how can we make it fit?

‘We're delighted’ with big ‘back slapping’ smiles on the faces of the police hierarchy was quite disgusting given the suffering that the victims and their families went, and are still, going through, even more disgusting was the fact that his killing spree went on a lot longer due to the incompetence at their level and it was run of the mill coppers who put the brakes on the monster.
    Seems bizarre to see the police appealing for him to give himself up, and the local bishop. I really doubt you would see that sort of stuff these days. How times have changed. Wouldn’t be so easy to get away with that serial killer shit these days.....