+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Our biggest rivals. Bristol City or Swansea.

Our biggest rivals. Bristol City or Swansea.

This topic had been discussed on here on many occasions. Some say BC, some say SC.
    I was talking to someone about it yesterday, and it got me thinking.
    If Bristol City played Swansea in the FA cup final, who would you rather win?
    I’d want the carrot crunchers to do it, as i like telling outsiders that we are the only team to take the FA cup out of England. I think somehow, there in lies my answer 😀
    Anyone else?

Re: Our biggest rivals. Bristol City or Swansea.

I honestly couldn’t give a toss any more. The Swansea game used to mean a lot to me... just another game now.

If I had to pick Swansea or Stoke in a one off game, I’d pick Swansea

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    This topic had been discussed on here on many occasions. Some say BC, some say SC.
    I’d want the carrot crunchers to do it, as i like telling outsiders that we are the only team to take the FA cup out of England. I think somehow, there in lies my answer ��
    Anyone else?
    If Swansea won it, we'd never hear the end of it. If Bristol City won it, we'd hardly hear a peep. Jursset apart, we've rarely had a Brizzle fan on here.

People that say Bristol are our main rivals say so after losing to Swansea. Any other time they'd say Swansea.

Swansea City have always hated us but in terms of rivalry they have been number 1 since they rose up the divisions to the top flight under toshack

People who regard bristol city as our main rivals are generally very old or dead

The other day I was driving to Bridgend hospital and saw a Swansea City sticker on the car in front . That is down to the year Swansea spent in the top flight and the recent six seasons they were in the Premier league because I can assure you Bridgend is on the whole cardiff city territory and when Swansea fans start creeping around in Bridgend then its clear they are our direct rivals and the team we need to be getting the better of , not Bristol city .

Quote Originally Posted by UNDERHILL1927 View Post
    People that say Bristol are our main rivals say so after losing to Swansea. Any other time they'd say Swansea.
    Lots of people grew up in an era where we never played the Jacks. We didn't play them in a single league game from 1965 to 1980. They'd class Bristol City as bigger rivals.

I want Cardiff to win and then any Welsh team after that. Football brings such a financial boost to an area now and if you want that taken away just because it's a different part of Wales it seem very strange. We're also more likely to get a positive rub from Swansea having success and nothing from Bristol advancing.

Can't say I hate any team, but if a rival is one is one you frequently find disagreeable and they appear to want to prevent your success then I'd argue Cardiff City is Cardiff City's biggest rival.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    Lots of people grew up in an era where we never played the Jacks. We didn't play them in a single league game from 1965 to 1980. They'd class Bristol City as bigger rivals.
    Very true.

I dont even like Cardiff sometimes

Bristolians have this unwarranted arrogance, and Swans fans are generally very bitter about the perception that we get everything, perhaps justifiably, i've become apathetic to both rivalries as i've gotten older

I can remember before the Jacks were big rivals. That's over 40 years ago now. It's clearly the Jacks. Especially as they've enjoyed some success over the last 10 years. Obviously, there are some that feel otherwise. But I'm sure the majority of the fans that would normally show up at the CCS would say Swansea.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    We only played the Wurzels 10 times between 1974 and 2000, but we've played them more often than Swansea since then. I still think that the Jacks are currently our biggest rivals. I'm certainly in a worse mood after we lose to them.

Swansea for me. I'll always pick a Welsh team over English rivals.

Also, I see Brizzle City as our main rivals. it's been that way since I saw my first derby match against them in 68/69 season. Having lived and worked in Bristol, deep down they hate us more than they hate Roverzzzz

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Soul '68 View Post
    Swansea for me. I'll always pick a Welsh team over English rivals.

Also, I see Brizzle City as our main rivals. it's been that way since I saw my first derby match against them in 68/69 season. Having lived and worked in Bristol, deep down they hate us more than they hate Roverzzzz
    Bristol City for me, Swansea for my son, which would indicate that it is most definitely an age thing. Nothing has wound me up at a football ground more than the Scott Murray celebration when he scored against us at Ninian in 2001, a game that the Wurzels won 3-1.
    Luckily the 6-0 trouncing we gave them at their place more than makes up for it.

As I’ve got older I’ve more disdain for clubs like Man Utd, Liverpool, Chelsea etc, classing die hard Bristol and Swansea fans the same as us, fans who’ve stuck by their local clubs.

Quote Originally Posted by LeningradCowboy View Post
    We only played the Wurzels 10 times between 1974 and 2000, but we've played them more often than Swansea since then. I still think that the Jacks are currently our biggest rivals. I'm certainly in a worse mood after we lose to them.
    This is a good indicator.

I'm the same, this from a man who is not only old enough to remember the "old" Severnside rivalry but used to look for Swansea's results hoping they won, mainly because we'd never played them (that I can remember) as Swansea Town were in inferior division.

I see nothing wrong with disliking both equally as much.

Swansea

Nobody cares that Peter Thorne didn't sign for Bristol. There are no Bristol slums. We never ask if bristol are watching.

It's swansea

Quote Originally Posted by Optimistic Nick View Post
    Swansea

Nobody cares that Peter Thorne didn't sign for Bristol. There are no Bristol slums. We never ask if bristol are watching.

It's swansea
    Is the right answer

I can't stand Bristol City, Leeds , Wolves etc

I fecking hate Swansea even more

I know plenty of jacks and plenty of my friends are jacks but I want cardiff city to win every game and Swansea to lose every game

When was the last time a song about Bristol City was sung in a game when we were not playing them ?

30 years ago ? Maybe more

[QUOTE=SLUDGE FACTORY;5148067]Is the right answer

I know plenty of jacks and plenty of my friends are jacks but I want cardiff city to win every game and Swansea to lose every game

When was the last time a song about Bristol City was sung in a game when we were not playing them ?

30 years ago ? Maybe more[/QUOTE

Defecation and the Bridge is mentioned quite often

Swansea or course, no debate required.

If I had to choose, then I’d rather the wurzels win in that hypothetical by a hair’s breadth. Mainly due to what the rivalry means to the jacks we’d never hear the end of it. With the wurzels it’d be crap but it would be like pulling a plaster off - it would hurt but it would be over with.

Those early 00s encounters with the wurzels felt like feisty affairs but I think the fixture has cooled since playing the jacks more regularly and, perhaps, moving from Ninian and the old grange end.

The rivalry with the jacks remains a bit of a baffling curiosity to me still. I was around 24 when we played them again with some regularity in the late 00s after tens years without a meaningful fixture. I know it’s a rivalry cliche to say it means more to the other side but I do honestly believe it’s something more pathological for them almost, in a way that feels detrimental to us on the pitch when we play them.

As a few have said above, the older I’ve gotten the more apathetic I am about both derbies.

[QUOTE=splott parker;5148073]
    Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Is the right answer

30 years ago ? Maybe more[/QUOTE

Defecation and the Bridge is mentioned quite often
    Yeah but thats sung even when we play in the Midlands or up north when we travel up the M50, nowhere near "the bridge"

First Team light up the darkness's Avatar

[QUOTE=MacAdder;5148089]
    Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post

Yeah but thats sung even when we play in the Midlands or up north when we travel up the M50, nowhere near "the bridge"

The bridge of sighs

[QUOTE=MacAdder;5148089]
    Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post

I know, that’s how geographically daft a lot of our lot are

Swansea, no question.

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    I’d want the carrot crunchers to do it, as i like telling outsiders that we are the only team to take the FA cup out of England. I think somehow, there in lies my answer ��
    Anyone else?
    Each other reading the Christmas thread