+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Our biggest rivals. Bristol City or Swansea.

Re: Our biggest rivals. Bristol City or Swansea.

As rivalries both are a bit meh. Both a similar distance from cardiff and having lived in Cardiff most of my life I've met few (that I know of) of either and know personally only a single fan of either, who is a Bristol City fan.

I was very young during any sort of rivalry in the 90s and don't remember much if anything about it, my memories of a few Bristol City matches were probably my first taste of a rivalry.

Funnily enough it was living in London when met the Bristol City supporting mate. We have good banter around results, so for me, based on the matches I saw growing up and speaking to my mate it would be them.

Their rivalry is very much with Rovers first though, that inter City rivalry is something we just don't have. When you know a number of people who give you shit daily, that would be both annoying but also something far more than we have.

I have more conversations with plastic United fans day to day which says a lot, I'd probably rather they were proper swans fans.

That's me personally though. I'm very much aware as a club due to the Welsh links, some fans living far closer to each other etc that our rivalry is mainly with Swansea.

When I was working in Bridgend it was Swansea, as I came into contact with Swansea fans, they are very gobby and hate us more than Bristol fans. When I was working in Bristol it was Bristol, I think it's both, but Swansea would edge it because they're fans are definitely more gobby and jealous of us, where Bristol fans have much less of a chip on their shoulder.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebina View Post
    When I was working in Bridgend it was Swansea, as I came into contact with Swansea fans, they are very gobby and hate us more than Bristol fans. When I was working in Bristol it was Bristol, I think it's both, but Swansea would edge it because they're fans are definitely more gobby and jealous of us, where Bristol fans have much less of a chip on their shoulder.
    Jealous of what ?

Quote Originally Posted by Maxim View Post
    Jealous of what ?
    That we only got 4 fingers and a thumb on each hand

Jealous of what ?
    Everything

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    And teeth

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    Lots of people grew up in an era where we never played the Jacks. We didn't play them in a single league game from 1965 to 1980. They'd class Bristol City as bigger rivals.
    I don't agree because I'm so ancient that I saw my first game in 1957 and whether we were playing them in the league or not, I always looked for Swansea's result in the hope that they had lost (still do). However, we did meet them fairly regularly in the Welsh Cup and it was a different competition in those days and was always competitive, even before Europe came into the equation. I don't like losing to the Wurzels but it feels nothing like losing to the peg sellers.
    I'd say most of my ancient mates feel the same way.

Jealous of what ?
    Have you been to Swansea or do you just pop in on a match day?

It's never been & will never be Swansea for me. Always has been & will be Bristol City, this was the rivalry of my youth, which was further compounded by spending 3 years in the my Uni days living close to Eastville and becoming a honorary Gashead. Rovers, the greyhounds and the speedway, an easy way to avoid studying!

If anything the Welsh rivalry of my yuff was with Cewnty and being in Somerton Park, losing 2-0 to goals by Tynan & Aldridge was educational!

My old man comes down unequivocally on the side of the carrot crunchers. His formative years would have been between the 60s and 70s and then he moved away from South Wales so didn’t witness Toshack’s Swansea years at closer quarters.

I remember I was round my parents during the Swansea / Reading playoff final, so we had it on in the background. Support is maybe too strong a word but he was definitely far more comfortable than I with how it went, maybe a more modern comparison is with how some city fans (although not all by all means) have some amount of good will towards the cewnty? A few years earlier we both watched the wurzels playoff game and there was no such ambiguity from him when Windass’ strike went in and the result.

But we’re talking very different eras and experiences though. It’s the jacks for the majority now without question but neither derbies are particularly deep rooted I’d say.

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Is the right answer

I can't stand Bristol City, Leeds , Wolves etc

I fecking hate Swansea even more

I know plenty of jacks and plenty of my friends are jacks but I want cardiff city to win every game and Swansea to lose every game

When was the last time a song about Bristol City was sung in a game when we were not playing them ?

30 years ago ? Maybe more
    I think what you are saying is: you are either Cardiff; or you are a dick and we hate you. Leeds, Bristol, Milwall, Forest, Derby, whatever: we've got a way to justify bearing a grudge against you and if it was somehow possible that all other 91 teams could lose every week, that would be great. But more than any, we want to see Swansea lose, just because.

And I'd agree with that.

No point in over-analysing it because the whole notion of rivalry is pretty juvenile really and there is no rational explanation for any of this stuff that actually stands up to even the merest scrutiny. After all, we are ultimately watching grown men play a game. But for whatever reason, I enjoyed (for example) seeing Leeds get battered by Man Utd after their fans were getting all cocky about expecting to win etc. That will have really pissed on their strawberries, which is great. But it would have been even better if it had been Swansea. That is all.

In real life, I couldn't actually give a toss. I work with plenty of people who support Swansea, Millwall, endless Chelsea and Spurs; and even a West Ham fan who can read and write by himself. Makes no odds at all - it doesn't really register with me now that I'm no longer a teenager. The only ones I ever talk to about football to be honest are the ones that go to games, and even then it is only rarely. Because to be honest I don't really care about what is happening at their club, and vice versa.

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Have you been to Swansea or do you just pop in on a match day?
    I went once on a school trip.

I went once on a school trip.
    Now you are taking the piss.....school, indeed!!!!!

It's been about 5 weeks since our defeat by Bristol City and I'm struggling to remember anything about the game.

3 weeks on and the Swansea game still annoys the hell out of me and I still have the desire to lock myself in the dressing room with the players & manager and pelt them with rotten tomatoes.

I think that just about answers the OP's question for me.

Quote Originally Posted by blueblade View Post
    It's been about 5 weeks since our defeat by Bristol City and I'm struggling to remember anything about the game.

3 weeks on and the Swansea game still annoys the hell out of me and I still have the desire to lock myself in the dressing room with the players & manager and pelt them with ROTTEN TOMATOES

Bought too much food at Christmas again, I take it

Quote Originally Posted by blueblade View Post

3 weeks on and the Swansea game still annoys the hell out of me and I still have the desire to lock myself in the dressing room with the players & manager and pelt them with rotten tomatoes.

Haha good way of putting it.