+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Man U v Leeds

Re: Man U v Leeds

Quote Originally Posted by valleys caveman View Post
    While most of the Leeds fans are just in tears.
    I was a season ticket holder in Tier5 in the Ninian until relegation from the Premier League when they moved me to Tier 4 so I am confident it can happen!

It's funny though that Bielsa is one of the supposed best coaches in the world but when a superior team gets between his lines and plays him off the park it's not his limitation as a manager that's highlighted.

Quote Originally Posted by cyril evans awaydays View Post
    I was a season ticket holder in Tier5 in the Ninian until relegation from the Premier League when they moved me to Tier 4 so I am confident it can happen!

It's funny though that Bielsa is one of the supposed best coaches in the world but when a superior team gets between his lines and plays him off the park it's not his limitation as a manager that's highlighted.
    he's getting far more out of that Leeds squad than the other manager would have if they swapped jobs that's for sure.

yes someone looking to park a bus and try to nick one on the counter probably wouldn't have conceded 6 today, but in my opinion that's to be applauded

Exactly, 3-3 at Elland Rd and 2-0 at CCS a few months ago

It's because superficially, they look good losing. They score goals and create chances. They've conceded more goals than anyone in the EPL but their goal difference is respectable. If anyone in the bottom 3 gets their act together after Christmas, Leeds could find themselves in trouble. Wouldn't that be fun?

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    people used to say that about cavani years ago too
    Yep. I was one of them.
    You have to watch more than the odd game in Europe to assess a player.
    Cavani is class.

To be fair to Leeds and Bielsa, they do look impressive, whether they win 5-2 or lose 6-2.,
    When we last graced the premier league, we were woeful, along with many other promoted clubs, on a shoestring budget, with no ambition. I’m not suggesting Leeds are certs to stay up, but whether they do or not, they look full of movement and one touch football, and if they do go back down, it wont be with out a fight.

in fairness to Bielsa he's undoubtedly highly influential on other top coaches.
    if he hadn't been such an extreme and enthusiastic exponent of a really high intensity pressing game, we'd probably be stuck with that tiki-taka nonsense dominating still.

As a neutral it’s great to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    As a neutral it’s great to watch.
    There are no neatrals when Dirty Leeds are playing.

I don't like ManU, but i was hoping they'd score 10 today.

Quote Originally Posted by bobh View Post
    There are no neatrals when Dirty Leeds are playing.

I don't like ManU, but i was hoping they'd score 10 today.
    I want Leeds relegated last week

in fairness to Bielsa he's undoubtedly highly influential on other top coaches.
    if he hadn't been such an extreme and enthusiastic exponent of a really high intensity pressing game, we'd probably be stuck with that tiki-taka nonsense dominating still.
    If Leeds go down though people will shirley sit up and take note, questioning its effectiveness.

Is Bielsa's style that different from the Kevin Keegan Newcastle United one of the 90's?
    Lovely to watch, score lots of goals but concede lots too.

Sean Morrison would have had a hat trick against either team on that showing.

probably finish 9-4.

Leeds just don't have a very good squad at the moment and they can only play one way. they'll go for to toe with anyone but occasionally this happens.

I don't think they'll be anywhere near the drop zone come the end of the season though
    It should have finished with that score. Dont know when I last saw such an open game. Both defences were shite though.

A lot of talk on Twitter etc of how well they're doing with a "mid table Championship squad". They spent 100m in the summer.

Leeds chuck everything at trying to score more goals than the other team at any cost, no matter who the opposition are. How any football fan can not at least have a bit of respect for that is odd. What do we want? Teams coming up from the Championship and getting 10 behind the ball to try and get a 0-0 or teams going to Old Trafford with the attitude of you score 4, we'll score 5?

Good on em, hope they stay up

I like them. Don’t respect reputations, work really hard and never let their heads drop. Play some good stuff too.

Win 6 of their remaining 24 and they’ll likely stay up. Good luck to them.

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    Leeds chuck everything at trying to score more goals than the other team at any cost, no matter who the opposition are. How any football fan can not at least have a bit of respect for that is odd. What do we want? Teams coming up from the Championship and getting 10 behind the ball to try and get a 0-0 or teams going to Old Trafford with the attitude of you score 4, we'll score 5?

Good on em, hope they stay up
    Or they’ll score 0 and Mendez-Laing will score 2, (after the lord mayor’s show though).

I think it's far to say I dislike the club but have a grudging respect for the quality of football they play.

Having said that, they're very naive in their approach to games, appear not to have anything other than Plan A but hey if they survive whilst playing that way good luck to them.

They bang on about the wonderful refreshing attacking style of Weeds, can't wait to listen for the analysis if they go down of this new utopia.

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    If Leeds go down though people will shirley sit up and take note, questioning its effectiveness.

Is Bielsa's style that different from the Kevin Keegan Newcastle United one of the 90's?
    Lovely to watch, score lots of goals but concede lots too.
    completely different to the way Newcastle used to play. Newcastle had very skillful attacking players, who didn't do much in defence, like Ginola.
    This Leeds team try to engineer attacking opportunities by really aggressively pressing the opponents in their own half and by out running them. if you beat the press then you can make spaces in the midfield by running directly up the middle.

both weak defensively but very different types of team.

completely different to the way Newcastle used to play. Newcastle had very skillful attacking players, who didn't do much in defence, like Ginola.
    This Leeds team try to engineer attacking opportunities by really aggressively pressing the opponents in their own half and by out running them. if you beat the press then you can make spaces in the midfield by running directly up the middle.

both weak defensively but very different types of team.
    Like all tactical changes good teams spend lots of time working out ways to neutralise and outwit them. Leeds were blown away in the first 5 minutes but didn't change tactics noticeably and got more punishment. They don't have the players to play those tactics against the best teams but don't seem to have a Plan B.

They seem to have enough to stabilise in the division and prosper against poorer teams though and I would prefer to watch Bielsa giving it a go in the Premier League than a season of Warnock's top flight insecurities.

The point I was making a little while back was that Harris seemed to be the main culprit for a schooling by a better team whilst Bielsa, because of his stature in the game got away relatively scot free.

Quote Originally Posted by Former Labour leader View Post
    Sean Morrison would have had a hat trick against either team on that showing.

Quite right, sir.

What amazed me on Sky tv was the obnoxious love-in over Leeds. They looked shambolic at the back and Man U looked like they could score with virtually every attack. Being a great coach, that Sky were repeatedly insisting Bielsa was, had clearly nothing to do with having the ability to defend. To be a great coach all you have to do is attack, attack and attack with no regard whatsoever to the other half of the game vis keeping the ball out of your net! By this token losing a game 5-1, 7-2 or 6-1 means nothing as long as you attack when you have the ball.

StT.
    <><

Quote Originally Posted by Steve the Tea View Post

Quite right, sir.

What amazed me on Sky tv was the obnoxious love-in over Leeds. They looked shambolic at the back and Man U looked like they could score with virtually every attack. Being a great coach, that Sky were repeatedly insisting Bielsa was, had clearly nothing to do with having the ability to defend. To be a great coach all you have to do is attack, attack and attack with no regard whatsoever to the other half of the game vis keeping the ball out of your net! By this token losing a game 5-1, 7-2 or 6-1 means nothing as long as you attack when you have the ball.

StT.
    <><
    let's not forget the same week they won a game 5-2 in the same week, if they had won that 1-0 and lost 2-0 nobody would be commenting.
    I don't think they are naive, their best means of defence is to make sure the game is played as far away from their defence as possible, by winning it back in the opponents half. they won't suddenly become an effective deep-block defensive unit and long ball merchants just because their press has been beaten a few times in a game, it takes just as much Training to make that system work.
    just like we can't instantly become an attractive passing side if hoof ball isn't working.
    perhaps all their eggs are in one basket, but so far it is keeping them out of Trouble. if they become an average team that can play a bit of a number of ways I'm not convinced they'd be any more effective

They took off their best defensive midfielder at half-time. If that's because they recognised it wasn't their day and have a hectic schedule over Christmas then I would tip my hat to bold squad management.

Bielsa has inspired many highly acclaimed managers. It doesn't necessarily make you a great manager to inspire others but part of your game needs to be great and he's still showing that.

Quote on twitter going around from Norwich boss saying attacking teams struggle most in the first year of premier league but are more likely to succeed second year whereas reverse is true for defensive teams. Leeds definitely give you chances so maybe we'll see how they manage second "easier", season.

Like all tactical changes good teams spend lots of time working out ways to neutralise and outwit them. Leeds were blown away in the first 5 minutes but didn't change tactics noticeably and got more punishment. They don't have the players to play those tactics against the best teams but don't seem to have a Plan B.

They seem to have enough to stabilise in the division and prosper against poorer teams though and I would prefer to watch Bielsa giving it a go in the Premier League than a season of Warnock's top flight insecurities.

The point I was making a little while back was that Harris seemed to be the main culprit for a schooling by a better team whilst Bielsa, because of his stature in the game got away relatively scot free.
    I don't think that Bielsa does a Plan B. The way i see it is that the way Bielsa plays can improve hugely if the correct players are brought ln.