+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Since we signed Peter Thorne

Re: Since we signed Peter Thorne

Chopra scored 56 League goals for us, 6 in the Cups and 2 in the Play Offs. He cost us £500k and was sold a year later for £5m, came back to us for £4m and went to Ipswich for £1m, so we actually made money on him.

Thorne scored 45 in the League, 4 in the Cups and 1 in the Play Offs. So a pretty similar record to Chopra.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    I reckon at £250,000 the mighty Steve Thompson was a bargain, he scored 16 ?

PS Thorne was a class act .
    Jay Chopra best duo since alston and evans.We had Ross as well
    If Tommohawk hadn,t fallen off the bannana he might well have come on for Jay in the play off final.
    Jones hated him for that.I did as well

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    Or did he, and the board, trust his ability to manage difficult personalities moreso than modern managers are given chance to?

In Malky's first season he spoke about complying dossiers on players to reduce risk of it going wrong/increase odds of it going right. Watching careers of Bothroyd before he came and Chopra/McCormack after they left, they would all likely raise significant red flags.
    I don't think Chopra was a problem when he signed first of all. One of my local taxi drivers was a Geordie and fanatical about the club. He was gutted when Chops was sold and thought he went too cheaply. While I'm not claiming he is representative of all Toon fans, there must have been others thinking the same.

Thinking of McCormack, his career hit the buffers at Cardiff partly because of Chopra being brought back. He had done well at Motherwell before joining us. He continued to score well for Leeds, Fulham and Villa, so he was hardly a player whose career nosedived after he left us. It is ironic, perhaps, that he did much better than the player who replaced him.

Bothroyd is Jones's big success (along with Whittingham). He always had the talent but never showed it. He did it for Jones. After his England cap he seemed to lose focus.

I often wonder how much of an input Ridsdale had at the time? Jones has regularly been praised as manager who found all of these bargains, but I think we owed plenty to Ridsdale's contacts as well. When Jones went to Sheffield Wednesday, he signed several of his former City transfers, showed little sign of getting those bargains and was sacked with the club in deep trouble.

Thinking along those lines, is our lack of football contacts and knowledge in the boardroom part of the reason for our less than impressive activity in the transfer market since the Riddler left? Malky signed some good players, then came Cornelius. Warnock was the next manager to do well initially in the transfer market, but his signings in the PL and following relegation weren't great. Harris has done pretty well so far.

What about Frazier Campbell? Did ok for a bit didn’t he?

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    I still think Velikonja could have been good if he'd been given a chance
    On what basis, out of interest? (I never saw any of the 3 games that he played for us, so I can’t really comment)

Is it his goal scoring record at Maribor and Lierse?

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    He cost about a third of what we spent on Thorne, so wasn't in the list.

Good player but struggled in the Prem on his own up front. Scored 6 that season. Half were against Man City, one against Man Utd and one against Liverpool. Incredibly, he failed to score against the other weaker sides in the division bar Sunderland. If only he could have netted the odd goal against teams lower down the table.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    He cost about a third of what we spent on Thorne, so wasn't in the list.

Good player but struggled in the Prem on his own up front. Scored 6 that season. Half were against Man City, one against Man Utd and one against Liverpool. Incredibly, he failed to score against the other weaker sides in the division bar Sunderland. If only he could have netted the odd goal against teams lower down the table.
    good signing for that kind of Money

Shame we only made a small profit on Campbell. Paid £650k, sold for £950k. But we did cash in on Mutch that summer and he did absolutely nothing after leaving us. I think Jones and Mackay were canny in the transfer market, Solskjaer just went nuts, but did bring in Manga and Morrison after we went down. Slade had to work in the bargain basement, Trollope didn't do much. Warnock was great with frees but hopeless when spending money (or was it the 'transfer committee'?), Harris has done well I think. Moore has to be our best striker signing in years (based on his few games so far).

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    good signing for that kind of Money
    Well worth his fee, yes.

16 from nearly 100 appearances. Pretty crap.
    Better value than Madine , Cornelius,Miller

Miller did alright for £850k

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Better value than Madine , Cornelius,Miller
    Disagree with Kenny Miller, far better player and value, even with that cup final.

Comparing strikers as better value than Madine or Cornelius is hardly difficult. Even Isaac Vassell beats them.

Disagree with Kenny Miller, far better player and value, even with that cup final.

Comparing strikers as better value than Madine or Cornelius is hardly difficult. Even Isaac Vassell beats them.
    Cornelius is a funny one because part of his value is determined by how much of a loss we sold him at...but we only sold him at such a loss because he became a Malky shaped voodoo doll for Tan to stick pins in. If we hadn't talked him down so much, we probably could have sold him back to former club for a decent price as a more experienced player not quite ready for step-up in a similar way Chopra was sold back to us as.

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    Cornelius is a funny one because part of his value is determined by how much of a loss we sold him at...but we only sold him at such a loss because he became a Malky shaped voodoo doll for Tan to stick pins in. If we hadn't talked him down so much, we probably could have sold him back to former club for a decent price as a more experienced player not quite ready for step-up in a similar way Chopra was sold back to us as.
    Yeah, we made several mistakes with Cornelius.
    1 - we paid way too much for him
    2 - Wages were too high
    3- We tried to use him as a target man, when that wasn't his game at all
    4- We sold him too early and too cheaply