Thread: Wales v Mexico

Wales v Mexico

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/55402948

Should this have been arranged?

Re: Wales v Mexico

Quote Originally Posted by Cleve van Leef View Post
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/55402948

Should this have been arranged?
    Wales are obliged to play a friendly on that date.

100 Caps and the Captaincy for Gunter hopefully.

Quote Originally Posted by Wash DC Blue View Post
    100 Caps and the Captaincy for Gunter hopefully.
    why?

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    why?
    Coz he's on 99

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    Coz he's on 99
    Wonder where he keeps all those caps , there not the best natural hanging garment ,has he got 99 hooks ?

why?
    Because he's on 99 and fully deserves to be the first man to get 100 Wales caps?

surely engineering it so that Gunter gets to 100 caps completely devalues the achievement of getting 100 caps.
    he doesn't deserve to get in in front of Roberts or Williams, we'd just be giving him 100 caps for the sake of it.

why didn't we arrange some friendlies to get Southall to 100 caps?

BRe: Wales v Mexico

I don't think the friendly is being arranged for Gunter's benefit.

He came on in the 93rd minute for his 99th cap. I don't think anybody would begrudge him that would they?

surely engineering it so that Gunter gets to 100 caps completely devalues the achievement of getting 100 caps.
    he doesn't deserve to get in in front of Roberts or Williams, we'd just be giving him 100 caps for the sake of it.

If anyone was deserving to get 100 caps then it was Southall, the amount of times he saved us. Agree with you though, i'm sure Gunter wouldn't want to be patronised in that way. Give him the last ten minutes if the game is over, either way.

I seem to remember someone on here saying something along the lines of "whats the point of bringing Gunter on in the 89th minute, I'd tell the manager to go and do one"...
    Made me laugh that.

He won't give a monkeys how he gets to 100 caps.

It is absurd. Three games in six days in an already overcrowded season.

Quote Originally Posted by Pearcey3 View Post
    Isn’t it obligatory? If you haven’t got three group games you have to fit in a friendly so nobody has the advantage of a night off. I think that’s it.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Isn’t it obligatory? If you haven’t got three group games you have to fit in a friendly so nobody has the advantage of a night off. I think that’s it.
    The rules need to change then.Its idiotic.

The friendly isn't arranged to get him to 100 caps, they have to arrange a friendly if they aren't playing, same reason we arranged the friendlies with England and the USA

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Wonder where he keeps all those caps , there not the best natural hanging garment ,has he got 99 hooks ?
    Back when they did give out caps I remember seeing a photo of Bobby Moore and 99 kids all wearing them when he got to 100.

Bobby Moore and 100 kids.
    Moore100Caps726.jpg

We aren't arranging these friendlies though - we have to play them due to international calendar. Back when we did arrange friendlies we deliberately arranged as few as possible to assist us rising up the rankings table, a "hack" that no longer can be used, so you could argue that Gunter missed out on games that he should have had chance to play in.

Would we be giving Gunter game time if he was on 80 caps and unlikely to ever reach 100? To answer that look at context of his most recent games. He played against England as one of most experienced players in game where we needed to save players for more important games but not go through embarrassing loss, he played against USA in similar role, he came on briefly in a game where Finland had come back into it after Bale (otherwise our most experienced player) had gone off and we needed experience to ride things out. The odds of Gunter playing exact same role if he was on 80 caps is high.

The excitement is slightly artificial - fans don't want to see any other experienced players coming on for 5-10 minutes to see out contest, they want the next big thing and rock 'n' roll football - but the achievement will be real.

Quote Originally Posted by Pearcey3 View Post
    We get to have a friendly but Belgium don't, think I'm right in saying that, and any team in a full sized group don't. Ideally we'd be Belgium's third game and hopefully catch them fatigued but there definitely are others who have it worse.

I agree though, three game in six days is not right.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    Bobby Moore and 100 kids.
    Moore100Caps726.jpg
    Brilliant, poor old Bobby didn't have one.

He looks well past his prime there. Bloated.

In fairness to Gunter, he's been a stalwart for Wales and if he's on 99 caps then providing he's fit and can do a job, expect him to cross the 100 mark in the next batch of spring games. Does seem a bit strange considering the names we've had over the years that the first player to achieve 100 caps is a championship right back but Hennessey (94) and Bale (87) aren't far behind and those two aren't going anytime soon so they will probably overtake his record.
    Mexico friendly will be just that, a friendly. It'll be a match to try different things with the youngsters and fringe players, its a big pool of players these days with Wales so i'm not abject to it.

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    I seem to remember someone on here saying something along the lines of "whats the point of bringing Gunter on in the 89th minute, I'd tell the manager to go and do one"...
    Made me laugh that.

He won't give a monkeys how he gets to 100 caps.
    That was me I think. 😁
    The point being that late substitutions have no bearing on the outcome of the game, but yes, when a player looks back on his career he'll look at the number of caps rather than the circumstances of each individual one.

Worth bearing in mind that Bobby Moore had 108 caps and spent every minute of every game on the field! I fact he actually spent over 20% more time on the pitch than Beckham!

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    We get to have a friendly but Belgium don't, think I'm right in saying that, and any team in a full sized group don't. Ideally we'd be Belgium's third game and hopefully catch them fatigued but there definitely are others who have it worse.

I agree though, three game in six days is not right.
    Belgium are playing three qualifiers in the same period. They don't have to play friendlies because they are one of Nations League Group A winners and play two games to decide the winners, runners up and 3rd/4th place in the October international window instead.