+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Beatles Music Imortal Or Is It

Beatles Music Imortal Or Is It

Lots about today about the Beatles being wonderful, for me if I was to play track today from way back it would be Velvet Underground, Hendrix, Zeppelin Sabbath, Kinks, or Stones could never see me putting a Beatles track, thier sound just doing it for me .

It seems its like some romantic view with many they are the best ?

Re: Beatles Music Imortal Or Is It

In the way they created the “British Invasion” paving the way for all those you’ve mentioned to have big success in the USA. Until then British artists were virtually unknown there before so in that context yes they are.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Lots about today about the Beatles being wonderful, for me if I was to play track today from way back it would be Velvet Underground, Hendrix, Zeppelin Sabbath, Kinks, or Stones could never see me putting a Beatles track, thier sound just doing it for me .

You had to be a teenager in the 60s to appreciate the incredible influence they had, not just in music.

Much of their best music is on albums. You cant judge them just by She loves you or Penny Lane

the beatles...had a song out in 61 waste of our time to compare it to 70's stuff.

All the bands you named were influential but none have been or will be feted in a way the Beatles were.

They changed the face of music in Britain and broke into the US market in a way never seen before.

So no it's not some romantic view perpetuated by people of a certain age. The fact that young people are still discovering the Beatles speaks volumes of their everlasting appeal.

About 15-20 years ago a respected music journalist claimed that Oasis were as big as the Beatles and said in 20 years time that will be proven, such was the quality of their music. I rest my case.

Not everyone likes the Beatles but their importance to the British music scene remains unsurpassed.

A great yardstick for The Beatles greatness is the volume of people who unconsciously know the words to their songs, ever been in a pub or a party, on the bus to an away game, even the radio on at work and a Beatles track comes on? Different age groups very often, sort of, absentmindedly sing a long, not realising that they are sometimes.

I've got a 12 year old niece who is discovering music. About a year ago she heard a few Beatles tracks, none of it forced on her in any way. She's become a massive fan of theirs, has all of their albums, collects artwork, even draws her own (and they're bloody marvellous even if I say so myself). She's reading up on their history, has watched their films. I find it fascinating that a band that split 50 years ago still have an influence over someone who knew nothing about them.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    I've got a 12 year old niece who is discovering music. About a year ago she heard a few Beatles tracks, none of it forced on her in any way. She's become a massive fan of theirs, has all of their albums, collects artwork, even draws her own (and they're bloody marvellous even if I say so myself). She's reading up on their history, has watched their films. I find it fascinating that a band that split 50 years ago still have an influence over someone who knew nothing about them.
    I think that answers the original question.

Quote Originally Posted by Moodybluebird View Post
    All the bands you named were influential but none have been or will be feted in a way the Beatles were.

They changed the face of music in Britain and broke into the US market in a way never seen before.

So no it's not some romantic view perpetuated by people of a certain age. The fact that young people are still discovering the Beatles speaks volumes of their everlasting appeal.

About 15-20 years ago a respected music journalist claimed that Oasis were as big as the Beatles and said in 20 years time that will be proven, such was the quality of their music. I rest my case.

Not everyone likes the Beatles but their importance to the British music scene remains unsurpassed.
    Most bands have a few good albums in them at best, often launch with the best one. The Beatles albums seemed to get better the longer they went on which is quite unusual. Revolver, abbey rd, let it be....timeless from a very talented group of musicians.

Weren’t they one of the first, or the first group to write and record their own songs ? Elvis probably had the biggest impact in changing the style of music but I don’t think he ever wrote any of the songs, although he was credited on some as part of the deal. I feel some of the songs they wrote together, were better than any of those, they wrote individually.

I loved the 60s.So much good music.We were spoilt.Beatles Stones Kinks The Who,Small Faces.Yardbirds.Then came acid rock folk rock
    prog rock and Bowie What a great time to be young.
    The fact that The beatles had 3 songwriters is unmatched
    This is well worth a watch,
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episod...paul-mccartney
    then christmas night bbc1 Macca at the Cavern

I love heavy music , some of the beatles stuff is rocky as feck

Don't like early beatles , its teeny bop stuff but when they hit their stride they were staggering

The bass and stabbing riffs on taxman were immense and still sound fresh today

Velvets , hendrix , sabbath , kinks , zep I can appreciate , never liked the stones though

Apart from emotional rescue and start me up

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    I love heavy music , some of the beatles stuff is rocky as feck

Don't like early beatles , its teeny bop stuff but when they hit their stride they were staggering

The bass and stabbing riffs on taxman were immense and still sound fresh today
    Nah, just a ripoff of "Start" by The Jam

I wouldn't call myself a fan of the Beatles but I can't think of another band or artist that has a catalogue of memorable songs like theirs.

I would never decide to put one of their records on but am never disappointed if one of their songs comes on the radio and you can just sing along.

I can't think of another band that has such universal appeal.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Paget Flashman View Post
    I wouldn't call myself a fan of the Beatles but I can't think of another band or artist that has a catalogue of memorable songs like theirs.

I would never decide to put one of their records on but am never disappointed if one of their songs comes on the radio and you can just sing along.

I can't think of another band that has such universal appeal.
    Saxon ?

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Saxon ?
    I was thinking of Bananarama.

Quote Originally Posted by Allez Allez Allez View Post
    I was thinking of Bananarama.
    Saxon , Bananarama , kajagoogoo

All there , when it mattered

First Team

Decent band but no Modern Romance.

Let me know if this gives you any "feelings".

The Beatles have at least one song that sounds similar to all of those bands. Their creative output is way beyond any other band.

Hey Jude, Strawberry Fields, Yesterday, She Loves You - if these songs aren't immortal then nothing from the 20th century is.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    Let me know if this gives you any "feelings".

What a brilliant way to start the day, watched this whilst having my morning turn out

I can understand anyone too young to have lived through the sixties not quite getting how influential the Beatles were (they affected much more than just music), but I don't understand how or why someone who was around when they were, possibly, the four most recognisable people on the planet would be sniffy about them.
    Also, I can't agree with those who dismiss their early work, for example, this is a superb song - the first great British rock and roll record in my opinion;-

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/xhp1m

Arguably, John Lennon's voice is an improvement on Smokey Robinson's in the original here;-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rok...eBeatles-Topic

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I can understand anyone too young to have lived through the sixties not quite getting how influential the Beatles were (they affected much more than just music), but I don't understand how or why someone who was around when they were, possibly, the four most recognisable people on the planet would be sniffy about them.
    Also, I can't agree with those who dismiss their early work, for example, this is a superb song - the first great British rock and roll record in my opinion;-

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/xhp1m

Arguably, John Lennon's voice is an improvement on Smokey Robinson's in the original here;-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rok...eBeatles-Topic
    The Get Back video New York Blue just gets the goosebumps up, but I hope they are not re-writing history. The original movie at the time showed warts an' all.

You are right about their early stuff too.

This is 1964 and the opening track on their second album.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6g4SxwybR0Q

I also think Lennon's vocals on "Anna" were superb.

The lyrics on "There's a Place" (first Beatles album), are impressive
    "There's a Place,
    Where I can go,
    When I feel low,
    When I feel blue,
    And it's my mind"

Also on the first album, "Misery". Yes, the songs that were released as singles were "teeny-boppers" although "Please Please Me" was about oral sex. "Love Me Do" while not good was important. The record label wanted them to release "How Do You Do It?" which went to Gerry and the Pacemakers. That they stuck to their guns and insisted on releasing a Lennon-McCartney composition at the start was a turning point in musical history and so I refuse to say that "Love Me Do" is not a significant song either.

Who knows if their work is "immortal". But, influential, how can anyone claim it wasn't.

I think that the Beatles were hugely instrumental (no pun intended) in taking pop music from two-dimensions to three i.e. from starting out as covers band, then moving onto superficial pop but writing their own successful songs (unusual at the time) and subsequently being experimental and doing things that had never been done before - as well as penning some classic tunes along the way.
    I don't think they can be fully appreciated without understanding their place in the history of pop music.
    Personally, I don't own any of their stuff but they were unbelievably influential and their place in history is assured.