+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Beatles Music Imortal Or Is It

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Beatles Music Imortal Or Is It

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    Most bands have a few good albums in them at best, often launch with the best one. The Beatles albums seemed to get better the longer they went on which is quite unusual. Revolver, abbey rd, let it be....timeless from a very talented group of musicians.
    Never been particularly enamoured with the Beatles, but really the success of their records was largely down to the skills of their producer, arranger, composer, conductor and audio engineer George Martin. I guess pretty much anyone could have a hit or two with him pulling the strings.

Quote Originally Posted by ryder bluebird View Post
    Never been particularly enamoured with the Beatles, but really the success of their records was largely down to the skills of their producer, arranger, composer, conductor and audio engineer George Martin. I guess pretty much anyone could have a hit or two with him pulling the strings.
    Anyone? Really?

Bit like Stock Aitken and Waterman in the 80s?
    I love the Beatles and I retrospectively discovered them I was only very young when they were out.

Martin was very important but he was the producer. He wasn't the arranger, nor composer, although he did write some of the piano pieces in songs like "In My Life" and "Eleanor Rigby". But, even Martin himself acknowledged it was Lennon and McCartney who approached him about bringing a classical element.

They certainly learnt a lot from him, but let's not overblow his influence.

Quote Originally Posted by Allez Allez Allez View Post
    Martin was very important but he was the producer. He wasn't the arranger, nor composer, although he did write some of the piano pieces in songs like "In My Life" and "Eleanor Rigby". But, even Martin himself acknowledged it was Lennon and McCartney who approached him about bringing a classical element.

They certainly learnt a lot from him, but let's not overblow his influence.
    They were helped that Martin had quite an open mind as to what was possible. It worked as an excellent team.

I think George Martin would disagree.

Having worked with the likes of Peter Sellers, Spike Milligan and Michael Bentine, George Martin was hardly a nobody in the music world before he teamed up with the Beatles, but his reputation, such as it was, was in comedy and novelty records pre Beatles. Four months before Love Me Do was released in 1962, Martin was involved in the production of Right Said Fred by Bernard Cribbins - if the Beatles needed George Martin, it’s probably true to say he needed them more.