+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Should one step aside and apply vaccine to teachers first

Should one step aside and apply vaccine to teachers first

Heard an MP volunteering and suggesting some folk could step aside and allow teachers to be vaccinated first ?

If it gets to me happy to do the same ,we will get the vaccine in the end .

Of course those over 70 should get it now ?

Re: Should one step aside and apply vaccine to teachers first

I think theres a case for them to be up the list.

Behind NHS and Care Workers though.

The UK government's strategy of vaccinating people largely based on age (plus care workers/NHS) is too simplistic but easy for people to understand. A more effective strategy would be to target people according to how effective the vaccine would be at reducing transmission. Teachers included. Not easy to administer though.

I know a few South Wales Police have been told they are not on the priority list which seems so harsh , knowing the types of call outs they have to administer.

Perhaps the single dose for more is the answer

His proposal was backed up by Professor David Salisbury, the man in charge of immunisation at the Department of Health until 2013.

He told Today the numbers were "straightforward".

"You give one dose you get 91% [protection] you give two doses and you get 95% - you are only gaining 4% for giving the second dose," he said.

"With current circumstances, I would strongly urge you to use as many first doses as you possibly can for risk groups and only after you have done all of that come back with second doses."

However, he acknowledged this would be harder to do with the Oxford University vaccine, where the efficacy of two doses is 60%.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    I know a few South Wales Police have been told they are not on the priority list which seems so harsh , knowing the types of call outs they have to administer.

Perhaps the single dose for more is the answer

His proposal was backed up by Professor David Salisbury, the man in charge of immunisation at the Department of Health until 2013.

He told Today the numbers were "straightforward".

"You give one dose you get 91% [protection] you give two doses and you get 95% - you are only gaining 4% for giving the second dose," he said.

"With current circumstances, I would strongly urge you to use as many first doses as you possibly can for risk groups and only after you have done all of that come back with second doses."

However, he acknowledged this would be harder to do with the Oxford University vaccine, where the efficacy of two doses is 60%.
    Yes, the mRNA vaccine is not likely to be much more effective with a second dose.

Any reason why the Oxford vaccine is less effective?

Is anyone getting vaccinated in Wales? My granddaughter has been on the wards at the Gwent and the new Grange hospital since March, never had a test or vaccine, She is now off with COVID. A bloody disgrace.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Heard an MP volunteering and suggesting some folk could step aside and allow teachers to be vaccinated first ?

If it gets to me happy to do the same ,we will get the vaccine in the end .

Of course those over 70 should get it now ?
    I think it’s strange teachers aren’t high on the list, said this to my kids headteacher before xmas, I assumed they would be, she said not.
    Its a lot to do with how many key workers kids are off when they can’t go to school, for that reason alone they should make them priority. 1 vaccine for every 30 kids to attend school.....

Quote Originally Posted by Cleve van Leef View Post
    Is anyone getting vaccinated in Wales? My granddaughter has been on the wards at the Gwent and the new Grange hospital since March, never had a test or vaccine, She is now off with COVID. A bloody disgrace.
    Apparently theyve done some, not in the general public though unless they are over 100 maybe....

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Yes, the mRNA vaccine is not likely to be much more effective with a second dose.

Works differently doesn’t it? Although I’d take it with a half dose, then a whole one if it’s 90%....

International

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post

It is quoted as 70% overall, although more effective in certain age groups apparently. But when you consider that the flu vaccine is only 50% effective then 60-70% is pretty damn good. And as everyone starts to get it it may prove to be higher

Just to add, with regard ot effctiveness it may be worth reading this: .https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-55302595

The two-dose policy when there is such a limited amount of vaccines available is just ludicrous. There should be as many single doses given out ASAP. No one but medical professionals should get a second dose until everyone who wants one has had a single dose. I suspect a significant proportion won't even bother

Quote Originally Posted by Cleve van Leef View Post
    My sister and her husband got it weeks ago (both NHS staff)

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    The two-dose policy when there is such a limited amount of vaccines available is just ludicrous. There should be as many single doses given out ASAP. No one but medical professionals should get a second dose until everyone who wants one has had a single dose. I suspect a significant proportion won't even bother
    Bizarre if the second dose only adds 4%? Or does it make it last longer too?

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    Bizarre if the second dose only adds 4%? Or does it make it last longer too?
    If you mean the Pfizer vaccine they mentioned a 90% success with one dose in one study. Overall the one dose regime apparently gives around 50% success. If 2 doses are what the trials are based on, what the FDA and MHRA and EU approvals are based on, then why would you want to give anything else. And the comments comparing it to flu vaccine are not comparing apples with apples. Covid isn't flu, it can be a lot lot more dangerous.

The issue with this disease currently is the effect on over 60 year olds. They are filling the hospitals, they are most at risk of complications.
    Getting this group sorted first will ease the pressure on everyone.

Unless teachers or policemen are over 60 I don't see any reason to give them priority. I know the argument about key jobs...but so are supermarket workers, refuse collectors, lorry drivers, food producers, bakers, community pharmacists etc.

The experts have approved a 2 dose regime, the experts have laid out their stall for priority groups, vaccines are available and we should just be getting on with using them...especially in Wales which seems to be back of the UK pack as far as the numbers of jabs given go.

It seems increasingly likely that education will be affected again this term. I'm not sure that giving students the lateral flow test is the complete solution to keeping as many pupils in school and as time moves on I can see vaccinating school staff as a more than useful addition. They closed schools during the initial lockdown and if the governments are intent on keeping them open this time, they should go out of their way to protect those who attend.

On the whole its older people who are being affected by this virus so it needs to be the elderly , nhs staff in hospitals , carers working with the elderly then a break down from there

Anyone up pen y fan yesterday can feck off and go to the back