+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Arise Sir Lewis

Re: Arise Sir Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by insider View Post
    It's all designed to remind you of your place.
    A peerage system to keep the rich rich and everyone else scrapping around for crumbs.
    The whole socio-economic-political system is there to ensure that the people with power and wealth keep it. The peerage system is a small part of it.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    This. I can't believe more people don't turn them down. I find it especially cringe-worthy when Welsh, Scottish and Irish people accept them.
    I don't think they announce who's turned them down until a while after. I think I'm right in saying that LS Lowry holds the record in turning down the most "honours". This is what Ballard had to say when he turned his down and I think he pretty much nails it: https://www.theguardian.com/politics...ec/22/uk.books

Quote Originally Posted by Vindec View Post
    I haven't seen the list but I hope the scientists at Oxford and Astra Zeneca who developed the vaccine are recognised. There remains a sense of societal divide attached to these awards;

those below stairs get the BEM; those slightly higher in society get the MBE; those slightly higher still the OBE (Other Bu****rs Efforts) and higher again a Knighthood/Damehood.

It's time the system was revised when people from all walks of life are given the same honours. To me, giving a knighthood to Hamilton for driving the fastest car, is daft but I'm sure many will disagree.
    I agree, there was so much calling for him to be given it, sometimes references made to him being black, that it was almost impossible for him not to get one.

I'd rather it was for outstanding achievements in the community or recognising sportsman perhaps after they retire.

As it is, based on others who have had one in the past then Hamilton certainly also deserves one.

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    I don't think they announce who's turned them down until a while after. I think I'm right in saying that LS Lowry holds the record in turning down the most "honours". This is what Ballard had to say when he turned his down and I think he pretty much nails it: https://www.theguardian.com/politics...ec/22/uk.books

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    Has Lewis finally settled his VAT bill then?
    Where's he living at the moment? Monaco for the climate or Switzerland for the scenery?

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    Interesting snippet on the back of yesterday's Michael Sheen story on some of the people who have handed back their 'honours':

https://www.theguardian.com/culture/...n-royal-family

He joins a list of prominent figures who have returned or refused honours, including the musicians John Lennon, Paul Weller and David Bowie; the actors Jim Broadbent, Dawn French and Jennifer Saunders; the poet Benjamin Zephaniah, the playwright Alan Bennett and the celebrity chef Nigella Lawson.

Nigella Lawson was a surprise! But no prominent political donors handing back their knighthoods (damehoods) or seats in the Lords?

Public recognition of ordinary people who devote their lives to doing good is fine - but we still (despite some recent improvements) have got a system of nomination and award that is obscure, clumsy and often corrupt (gongs for the PM's backers) and award titles that are anachronistic and offensive.
    I read something about the Michael Sheen situation. He said that he educated himself about the history of the family and then returned the award. Which sounds a bit fishy to me. You don't exactly need a high level of education to know that Wales has been oppressed by the English monarchy throughout history.

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post

This. I can't believe more people don't turn them down. I find it especially cringe-worthy when Welsh, Scottish and Irish people accept them.
    Wouldn’t you find it worse if they all went to English people?
    A lot of Celts remain loyal or indifferent to the notion of a United Kingdom but still do what they do. Why shouldn’t they be recognised for it?

Quote Originally Posted by insider View Post
    Outdated idea bowing to royalty.
    Loada bollox
    Seconded.

No place for this on a Cardiff City Football forum IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Where's he living at the moment? Monaco for the climate or Switzerland for the scenery?
    I'd imagine wherever the hell he wants, and more power to him

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    I'd imagine wherever the hell he wants, and more power to him
    He could live in a country where he pays Income Tax. But more power to him.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    He could live in a country where he pays Income Tax. But more power to him.
    He pays income tax in 9 separate countries and out of a nation of 60 million here he's in the top 5000 highest income tax payers

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/54965544

He pays income tax in 9 separate countries and out of a nation of 60 million here he's in the top 5000 highest income tax payers

That's 9 separate personal allowances - clever accounting.
    He may be paying a lot of tax, but is it the right amount?

I've just tweeted him to confirm that, should have an answer within the hour

There is an all party parliamentary group on formula 1? I thought that was a joke at first when I read that.

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEAWAY View Post
    Wouldn’t you find it worse if they all went to English people?
    A lot of Celts remain loyal or indifferent to the notion of a United Kingdom but still do what they do. Why shouldn’t they be recognised for it?
    Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland have their own governments that could honour their citizens.

I have no problem with people from the Celtic nations being recognised. I just think it's weird that they would accept an award from I institution that has subjugated them for centuries. I get that people are loyalist. I just don't understand why. The fact that any people from the island of Ireland would be loyal to the English queen whether they're from Scottish descent or not just blows my mind.

Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland have their own governments that could honour their citizens.

I have no problem with people from the Celtic nations being recognised. I just think it's weird that they would accept an award from I institution that has subjugated them for centuries. I get that people are loyalist. I just don't understand why. The fact that any people from the island of Ireland would be loyal to the English queen whether they're from Scottish descent or not just blows my mind.
    It is the Government that selects the recipients, not the Royal family. Would you prefer BJ sent certificate in the post. If an individual doesn’t want to accept then so be it. As for Drakeford or Sturgeon handing out gongs, yes of course that could be done and some recipients might enjoy that; not sure how many?

International

All of his Mercedes salary is paid in UK as the company is based in Bracknall or somewhere near there, and he pays full UK tax on all of it. He pays far far more than any of his detractors

It really sickens me when people slag off someone who earns a lot of money. It just stinks of envy.
    Yes I know there are some high profile people who cheat but then there are exceptions to everything.
    Show me one person who wouldn't want to maximise their income and I'd show you a liar! He earns what he earns because he is the best at what he does.

International

I believe that the committee that considers honours actually get recommendations from the devolved leaders.

International

[QUOTE=City123;5151637]I don't think they announce who's turned them down until a while after. I think I'm right in saying that LS Lowry holds the record in turning down the most "honours". This is what Ballard had to say when he turned his down and I think he pretty much nails it: https://www.theguardian.com/politics...ec/22/uk.books[/QUOTE

Do they announce who were offered one and turned it down?
    In my memory it is the people who turn down an award who announce it. After all there is no good having a flounce if no one knows about it.

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    All of his Mercedes salary is paid in UK as the company is based in Bracknall or somewhere near there, and he pays full UK tax on all of it. He pays far far more than any of his detractors

It really sickens me when people slag off someone who earns a lot of money. It just stinks of envy.
    Yes I know there are some high profile people who cheat but then there are exceptions to everything.
    Show me one person who wouldn't want to maximise their income and I'd show you a liar! He earns what he earns because he is the best at what he does.
    I've got no problem with what people earn as long as they pay the correct amount of tax on those earnings. Its tax receipts remember that will be central to getting the country out of the mess its currently in.
    Its excellent that hes one of the UK's highest contributors but everyone should play by the same rules. Thus article suggests that he may not have.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ivate-jet.html

I've no doubt that he's the best Formula 1 driver and one of our most successful sportsmen. He probably deserves his accolades but he should also be under the same scrutiny as every other tax payer in the country.

International

I've got no problem with what people earn as long as they pay the correct amount of tax on those earnings. Its tax receipts remember that will be central to getting the country out of the mess its currently in.
    Its excellent that hes one of the UK's highest contributors but everyone should play by the same rules. Thus article suggests that he may not have.

I've no doubt that he's the best Formula 1 driver and one of our most successful sportsmen. He probably deserves his accolades but he should also be under the same scrutiny as every other tax payer in the country.
    The point is if he didn't earn a lot of money no one would even question it.
    What about all the people who work "cash in hand"? They don't earn his money but you don't see people naming and shaming them, yet they probably defraud the country out of more money as a percentage of their income that he does.

No doubting that but he seems to invite more scrutiny and criticism than anyone else for his tax affairs for some reason. I'm yet to see anyone critcizing Jenson Button or Geraint Thomas for living tax free in Monaco but I've seen several having a go at the amount of tax Hamilton does or doesn't pay here

No doubting that but he seems to invite more scrutiny and criticism than anyone else for his tax affairs for some reason. I'm yet to see anyone critcizing Jenson Button or Geraint Thomas for living tax free in Monaco but I've seen several having a go at the amount of tax Hamilton does or doesn't pay here
    I'm not questioning his right to live in Monaco and the benefits that entails (a lot of us would given the chance)- I'm querying whether the vat benefit he gained from claiming his private plane was for business purposes only, and not personal use, has been settled one way or the other. If him getting a knighthood means that it has then that's fine. As for his residency status, that was an issue otherwise Boris wouldn't have had to intervene in Lewis's case to allow the knighthood to be awarded. I'm only commenting on what I've read.

International

I'm not questioning his right to live in Monaco and the benefits that entails (a lot of us would given the chance)- I'm querying whether the vat benefit he gained from claiming his private plane was for business purposes only, and not personal use, has been settled one way or the other. If him getting a knighthood means that it has then that's fine. As for his residency status, that was an issue otherwise Boris wouldn't have had to intervene in Lewis's case to allow the knighthood to be awarded. I'm only commenting on what I've read.
    Like I said, you are only concerned because he is rich. Stacks or soelf employed and small business people fiddle their vat all the time. Do they concern you/?Would you refuse to do business with one who did even if it meant you got what you wanted cheaper?