+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Tommy Docherty 'The Doc' dies...

Tommy Docherty 'The Doc' dies...

From a time when there were some colourful characters in the game.
    https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/55501754
    Former Manchester United and Scotland manager Tommy Docherty has died at the age of 92 following a long illness.

As a player, Glasgow-born Docherty made over 300 leagues appearances for Preston and won 25 caps for Scotland.

He went on to manage 12 clubs, leading Chelsea to victory in the 1965 League Cup and won the 1977 FA Cup with the Red Devils.

"Tommy passed away peacefully surrounded by his family at home," his family said in a statement.

"He was a much-loved husband, father and papa and will be terribly missed.

"We ask that our privacy be respected at this time. There will be no further comment."

Re: Tommy Docherty 'The Doc' dies...

Wow. I had no idea he was still alive. How the hell did he make it this far? He looked old and unhealthy in the 70s. RIP the Doc.

Great character. As above, I'm surprised he's made it this far. Who can remember 'Doc's Army' - terrorised the football league up and down the country but met their match in Cardiff..

Was hired by our company to do an after dinner speech and Q & A session many years ago

We were under strict instructions that nobody was to ask about his affair with the physios wife

1st question “Doc tell us the story about shagging the physios wife”

Fair play he took it well and was very entertaining

RIP Doc

Quote Originally Posted by Poolerblue View Post
    Was hired by our company to do an after dinner speech and Q & A session many years ago

We were under strict instructions that nobody was to ask about his affair with the physios wife

1st question “Doc tell us the story about shagging the physios wife”

Fair play he took it well and was very entertaining

RIP Doc

Not so much ‘Knees up Mother Brown’ as ‘Who’s up Mrs Brown?’ as the terrace song went at the time. RIP

Didn't he coin the phrase "pay peanuts for a player and you'll get a monkey"?

He probably didnt but first time I heard it said I think about Russell Beardsmore.

RIP Doc.

I remember him telling one of his chairman that he would get the club out of the division. He did. They went down.

Seen him in a black tie do and was very good.It was around the time Vinnie Jones was playing for Wales,Tommy reckoned Vinnie could trap a ball further than he could kick it.