+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Plans for the reopening of the cardiff canal ?

Re: Plans for the reopening of the cardiff canal ?

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Pomeroy St, Hunter St, Docks Cons, The New Sea Lock pub (gone now) area isn’t it?
    thats it

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    could you fish in the canal by rat Island?

Saw an old photo of some kids fishing there many years ago but it was in the 50s when the pollution would have been very bad
    before i was born

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    And datum. Whilst similar errors are oft made when words are used in the plural such as referendum, stadium and others.
    As language changes by its very nature (and that many so-called grammatical rules were decided upon by certain Latin-influenced academics and at a certain point in time) it's not necessarily incorrect that Latin plurals (and indeed plurals borrowed from other languages) are being dropped for plurals ending in 's' and making them more consistent with modern English.

Although we may use the word 'oxen' (from German) we no longer use 'housen', the plural word for 'house', as used by Rudyard Kipling etc.

Many other so-called grammatical rules are being dispensed with as time goes by, some of them seeming highly illogical these days e.g. how many people know about the absurd crossover between 'shall' and 'will'? Both of those words came from German where there is no such crossover.

I was therefore being a tad devilish with my comment about the panino etc (although it was literally true)

By the way, the word 'nice' used to mean ignorant. Just sayin' innit.

Quote Originally Posted by poc View Post
    there are a few online somewhere i always knew it where i was born the area between the canal and the taff south of james street where the hamadryad hospital was situated but some reports suggest it was a little further up the river near where it bends going into grangetown where currans used to be on the docks side
    Rat Island is just up from the Clarence rd bridge, alongside Currans.
    Plenty of crap there and lots of eels when I was a kid.
    How you going Poc

Quote Originally Posted by Barmy View Post
    Rat Island is just up from the Clarence rd bridge, alongside Currans.
    Plenty of crap there and lots of eels when I was a kid.
    How you going Poc
    not as warm as you are no doubt ill health slowed me down a lot but still getting along buttyyou all ok

There is a book out there , not in print anymore , called I was born on rat Island

I assume it was dirty , smelly and full of rats ?

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    I know there used to be a canal , some of which remains , up at forest farm nature reserve

And I fish the dock feeder canal which runs off the taff at blackweir, through bute park , under the city centre and into the east Dock by Atlantic wharf

But where is this old canal they are opening up ? Is it the one that used to run past the Hayes and down to rat Island in the docks ?

Hope they put some big pike in it
    Chris Pike ?

Quote Originally Posted by poc View Post
    not as warm as you are no doubt ill health slowed me down a lot but still getting along buttyyou all ok
    All good hear.
    Sorry to hear of your ill health,
    Take care mate.