+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: swalec smart meters

swalec smart meters

i thought theses stopped estimate bills

Re: swalec smart meters

Quote Originally Posted by poc View Post
    Must have stopped working or you've changed suppliers.
    Been refusing them for years. Totally pile of shite.

International

I had an estimated electric bill from SSE a while ago. I called and asked them why as I have a smart meter and the answer was "Oh sorry, we didn't realise". I pay on direct debit so it made no real financial difference but it does mark a remarkable level of incompetency.

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    I had an estimated electric bill from SSE a while ago. I called and asked them why as I have a smart meter and the answer was "Oh sorry, we didn't realise". I pay on direct debit so it made no real financial difference but it does mark a remarkable level of incompetency.
    thanks that the reason i had them changed i was fed up of estimates and mobility issues was unable to read electric meter myself now i can get the readings from the internal display they wont let you change them on line not very smart

Quote Originally Posted by Former Labour leader View Post
    it seems to be working from the internal display or something else on the meter not sending readings

Quote Originally Posted by Former Labour leader View Post
    A complete waste of our money. Expensive to install (we pay through our bills), dont have any significant impact on consumer behaviour (unless you want to do the ironing at 3.00am), SMETS 1 dont work if you change supplier, SMETS 2...trouble with signals to actually link them up to the billing system and there will be a lot of plastic/electronics hits to recycle when in room displays get dumped. Not good for climate change on terms of their production/installation/recycling. Government assumptions about how smart meters would change behaviour/save energy are way off the mark. Better off making basic changes like LED lightbulbs/insulation/replacing white goods with energy efficient versions. Smart meters = shite, agreed. Avoid. Dont have one. More here for anyone interested:

http://watt-logic.com/2018/08/20/myth-3/

Quote Originally Posted by IanD View Post
    A complete waste of our money. Expensive to install (we pay through our bills), dont have any significant impact on consumer behaviour (unless you want to do the ironing at 3.00am), SMETS 1 dont work if you change supplier, SMETS 2...trouble with signals to actually link them up to the billing system and there will be a lot of plastic/electronics hits to recycle when in room displays get dumped. Not good for climate change on terms of their production/installation/recycling. Government assumptions about how smart meters would change behaviour/save energy are way off the mark. Better off making basic changes like LED lightbulbs/insulation/replacing white goods with energy efficient versions. Smart meters = shite, agreed. Avoid. Dont have one. More here for anyone interested:

cheers matey like i said i had them for ease of reading if i had to, not to try and save anything

Totally agree

International

But that aside, can we take it you approve?

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    But that aside, can we take it you approve?
    I'm very polite the first/second/third time someone at SSE asks if I want a Smart Meter.....but my patience is wearing thin. Problem is, these energy companies have government targets to meet when it comes to installation, even though they know they are a waste of time/effort/our money.

International

I'm very polite the first/second/third time someone at SSE asks if I want a Smart Meter.....but my patience is wearing thin. Problem is, these energy companies have government targets to meet when it comes to installation, even though they know they are a waste of time/effort/our money.
    And if they don't meet them they will be fined and then our bills will go up. Its a no win.

it seems to be working from the internal display or something else on the meter not sending readings
    Hacked by Russians, vacate as soon as you can, your life is being recorded and sent back to the motherland .

I'd like a smart meter that goes backwards.

Do people with smart meters go around their house turning everything off they're not using? Houses these days are so full of stuff that remains on standby, I just wonder how many people spend the time getting their consumption down as much as possible turning stuff off?

I had one at my previous property and I thought it was good. When I changed supplier, ok I had to submit meter readings every few months, but the software to monitor usage was still working. I sold the property to an uncle who just changed supplier and the smart meter is working again now (this wasn't the supplier I got the meter from).

In summary then, these meters have been wrongfully marketed as ' Smart ' ?

When I worked for SWEB the management were making surprise visits to the homes of staff to see if they were by passing the meter.
    You'd be surprised how many were doing it.Instant dismissal.Not very smart.

Quote Originally Posted by dandywarhol View Post
    When I worked for SWEB the management were making surprise visits to the homes of staff to see if they were by passing the meter.
    You'd be surprised how many were doing it.Instant dismissal.Not very smart.
    As a matter of interest how do you by pass a meter ?

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Sounds painful.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Simply check out relevant episodes of Police Interceptors. They show cannabis installations being raided at homes with meters bypassed to reduce the cost of heating, air extraction etc. It's really quite easy if you've got a soldering iron and a pair of snips.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
    Simply check out relevant episodes of Police Interceptors. They show cannabis installations being raided at homes with meters bypassed to reduce the cost of heating, air extraction etc. It's really quite easy if you've got a soldering iron and a pair of snips.

I find a hot soapy flannel and scissors work for me

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    I find a hot soapy flannel and scissors work for me
    Obviously in Cahoots* with TBG

* A little heard-of village in S-set

I think SSE are terrible. I went with Ecotricity a few years back as I like Dale Vince's philosophy.

finally got through to sse the records hadnt been updatedafter 5 months which was corrected it will take 7-10 days though to reset the meter

Let's clear something up. There are only two reasons why companies are installing smart meters.
    1. They don't have to employ all those costly meter-readers.
    2. They can, at some point, introduce different charge rates for different times of the day.