+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Mark Harris.

Mark Harris.

What are peoples opinion on him? When he came into the side after that poor run of form he showed an energy that was lacking in previous games. He ran the channels and did well in taking defenders away from Moore, which did look beneficial. He looked like an athlete and prepared to do the hard work(running) that isn't part of Moore or Glatzels game. Since that initial burst he seems to have stalled a bit. He's still working hard but there isn't that much intelligence or quality at the end of it for my liking. I know that he's a young 22 year old in terms of playing time at this level, and he's very inexperienced, maybe looking at the more senior players to guide him etc, although he's in a position now where he does have the opportunity to showcase his ability.

I'm not sure that i can pinpoint his natural attributes, his football intelligence, he obviously has good character and a great work ethic. On what you've seen, do you think that he can turn into something with real ability and value? I do have an element of sympathy for him as he is being let down by those around him who have experienced poor runs of form, Harris hasn't, although does he have enough about him to come through it positively, and is he showing enough, and if so, what does he show that makes you think that he's got something?

Re: Mark Harris.

He's what we needed, and he helped Moore. We had a real energy in those 4 games where we won on the spin (well, the first 3 at least) and I was impressed by him but like you, I have no idea if he's any good or not. I don't think he's quite got that goalscoring instinct, I think he so nearly scored 3 or 4 chances that Earnie or Chopra would have anticipated and scored. I'm not sure if you can teach that.

Harris hasn't gone missing, keeps looking for the ball and makes good runs. I think he's suffered from a bit of burnout and the fact there's no Moore to bully centre halves for him. I don't think it was a great surprise to see us linked with Sam Greenwood after our initial success with 442, as I think he could compete with Harris and we don't have anyone else like him. Harris has done more to influence games than a lot of our wingers/strikers this season. I don't think I can remember Harris going past someone with the ball, or playing a telling pass though, so I'm not sure if he'll make it here. I absolutely want him too, though, and he was a breath of fresh air when he came in.

I think the jury is out. Probably isnt going to be good enough but theres a chance
    he can make it. Id give him a contract for a year or 2.

It's hard to judge with the way the team is playing. He's definitely dropped off a little. But that might not necessarily be his fault. I would definitely be prepared to give him more time. And I think Harris should play him as often as possible.

I've long been an advocate of playing two strikers, and so giving Harris a chance was always a good move in my opinion. I think he should play more, but he hasn't seemed to gel with Glatzel the way he has with Moore.

Crap

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    What are peoples opinion on him? When he came into the side after that poor run of form he showed an energy that was lacking in previous games. He ran the channels and did well in taking defenders away from Moore, which did look beneficial. He looked like an athlete and prepared to do the hard work(running) that isn't part of Moore or Glatzels game. Since that initial burst he seems to have stalled a bit. He's still working hard but there isn't that much intelligence or quality at the end of it for my liking. I know that he's a young 22 year old in terms of playing time at this level, and he's very inexperienced, maybe looking at the more senior players to guide him etc, although he's in a position now where he does have the opportunity to showcase his ability.

I'm not sure that i can pinpoint his natural attributes, his football intelligence, he obviously has good character and a great work ethic. On what you've seen, do you think that he can turn into something with real ability and value? I do have an element of sympathy for him as he is being let down by those around him who have experienced poor runs of form, Harris hasn't, although does he have enough about him to come through it positively, and is he showing enough, and if so, what does he show that makes you think that he's got something?
    Kieffer Moore made him look good. Without Moore in the team, he has no more impact on games than Gavin Whyte.

Quote Originally Posted by tforturton View Post
    I've long been an advocate of playing two strikers, and so giving Harris a chance was always a good move in my opinion. I think he should play more, but he hasn't seemed to gel with Glatzel the way he has with Moore.
    Glatzel and Harris are both second strikers. They need to play alongside someone who is capable of leading the line.

Interesting replies. There doesn't seem to be a great deal of enthusiasm for Harris. Youth Products get an easier ride from fans in most instances-it's understandable-doesn't seem to be the case with Harris though. For what it's worth, i can't really see what he offers outside of the first couple of games he played.

That first goal was neat and he added a spark to begin with but he's mostly been chasing shadows. Hasn't really showed the quality to suggest he can make it at this level, despite all the effort. Then again you could apply that statemen to half our professionals.

Quote Originally Posted by 198bore View Post
    That first goal was neat and he added a spark to begin with but he's mostly been chasing shadows. Hasn't really showed the quality to suggest he can make it at this level, despite all the effort. Then again you could apply that statemen to half our professionals.
    You could apply it to most of the squad at the moment. The question i posed was can he develop into something based on what we've seen, small things that make him stand out. I can't say that i have.