+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Working From Home.

Working From Home.

My Daughter, who has currently moved back in with us after deferring her place at University is using one of my rooms as an office to work from home. This has been the case since June, she is working for a utilities company and it is shift based. My question is this-Is it possible for me to claim anything for this as the Company that she is working for are benefitting from my internet (that i've had to upgrade due to her work) Electricity, Heating, office space and the inconvenience that i can't do any work that is noisy on my house due to her having conferences, speaking to suppliers, customers etc. Anyone got an idea?

Re: Working From Home.

Have you looked here? https://taxaid.org.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by Nicerino View Post
    I was just wondering if you would see this.

:

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    My Daughter, who has currently moved back in with us after deferring her place at University is using one of my rooms as an office to work from home. This has been the case since June, she is working for a utilities company and it is shift based. My question is this-Is it possible for me to claim anything for this as the Company that she is working for are benefitting from my internet (that i've had to upgrade due to her work) Electricity, Heating, office space and the inconvenience that i can't do any work that is noisy on my house due to her having conferences, speaking to suppliers, customers etc. Anyone got an idea?
    something on martin lewis show last night

She can claim £6 a week. Took me 5 minutes. If she back dates it her next pay slip will show a backdated increase, then the permanent change after that. All done by changing her tax code.

"54,800 customers claim tax relief for working from home - GOV.UK" https://www.gov.uk/government/news/5...king-from-home

I sympathise you can't do anything noisy when she's working, but claiming 6 quid a week back?! really?
    There are not many people who spend less than a quid a day getting to and from work, so people are already saving on fuel, then want 6 quid a week from the government!

Edit - question already answered

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    She can claim £6 a week. Took me 5 minutes. If she back dates it her next pay slip will show a backdated increase, then the permanent change after that. All done by changing her tax code.

"54,800 customers claim tax relief for working from home - GOV.UK" https://www.gov.uk/government/news/5...king-from-home
    That's brilliant, thanks for that.

Quote Originally Posted by GL1Blue View Post
    I sympathise you can't do anything noisy when she's working, but claiming 6 quid a week back?! really?
    There are not many people who spend less than a quid a day getting to and from work, so people are already saving on fuel, then want 6 quid a week from the government!
    Not so simple unfortunately. A section of my home has become office space for large portions of the week. The business that she is working for are using my internet, my phone line, my gas and electricity, as it wouldn't be used if she was in work. Here's the important bit, it's my house and i'm paying the gas, electricity, internet etc. I don't want the money, my daughter can have it, that's not the point though. I'm sure that businesses are saving on utility bills, may have down graded their insurance plans as well and may have saved on stationary, maintenance and whatever else it takes to have a full quota of staff in a building.

Not so simple unfortunately. A section of my home has become office space for large portions of the week. The business that she is working for are using my internet, my phone line, my gas and electricity, as it wouldn't be used if she was in work. Here's the important bit, it's my house and i'm paying the gas, electricity, internet etc. I don't want the money, my daughter can have it, that's not the point though. I'm sure that businesses are saving on utility bills, may have down graded their insurance plans as well and may have saved on stationary, maintenance and whatever else it takes to have a full quota of staff in a building.
    I think if part of a home is used for business purposes it could, should you sell the house, be liable for tax as the house is no longer just your home. Worth looking in to. A proportion, based of the number of the rooms would be taxable. Eg if you have 7 rooms and 1 i used for that purpose, then 1/7 could be liable to tax. There's probably something not the .gov website about it.

I think that is if you make profit from it, so if you converted your garage and then sold the property - the property is worth more so you can get hit with CGT - but it would only probably be if you declare it...

Quote Originally Posted by cardiff55 View Post
    I think if part of a home is used for business purposes it could, should you sell the house, be liable for tax as the house is no longer just your home. Worth looking in to. A proportion, based of the number of the rooms would be taxable. Eg if you have 7 rooms and 1 i used for that purpose, then 1/7 could be liable to tax. There's probably something not the .gov website about it.
    Thanks for that. I was self employed for 23 years so know a bit about what to claim for. I don't want money for nothing, i know that businesses are struggling etc, although i think that it's only fair that i get some reimbursement if the business is benefiting from the use of my home and the utilities.

Isn’t it tax relief on £6 so £1.20 a week?

Me and Mrs P both completed online from last March. We applied in November and about £35 each extra in our November pay the about a fiver extra in December.

Not a great windfall

Thanks for that. I was self employed for 23 years so know a bit about what to claim for. I don't want money for nothing, i know that businesses are struggling etc, although i think that it's only fair that i get some reimbursement if the business is benefiting from the use of my home and the utilities.
    No offence intended but IMO I don’t think the company should be paying anything. I work from home now and likely will long term, I save in fuel and gain back my own time in not having to commute. Yes I pay more on bills but the above evens it out. It’s not really the company’s problem that you’re not the one seeing those benefits but that’s more for you to take up with her if she’s saving on travel? :)

Appreciate companies are saving pennies in stationary but in most cases they’re still paying rent and utilities on largely empty buildings. They haven’t chosen for people to work from home, the gov (rightly) has and everyone is making the best of a bad situation.

Quote Originally Posted by superfeathers View Post
    No offence intended but IMO I don’t think the company should be paying anything. I work from home now and likely will long term, I save in fuel and gain back my own time in not having to commute. Yes I pay more on bills but the above evens it out. It’s not really the company’s problem that you’re not the one seeing those benefits but that’s more for you to take up with her if she’s saving on travel? :)

Appreciate companies are saving pennies in stationary but in most cases they’re still paying rent and utilities on largely empty buildings. They haven’t chosen for people to work from home, the gov (rightly) has and everyone is making the best of a bad situation.
    No offence taken I don't think that it's a trade off. The benefits are welcome, although the fact remains that a private entity is benefitting at my cost, however small that may be.

No offence taken I don't think that it's a trade off. The benefits are welcome, although the fact remains that a private entity is benefitting at my cost, however small that may be.
    Why doesn't your daughter pay?

She's earning off the back of it

Quote Originally Posted by Hungry Blue View Post
    Why doesn't your daughter pay?

She's earning off the back of it
    Earning off the back of what?

Using the utilities - she is getting paid so shouldn't she be contributing to the cost?

It was a bit of a tongue in cheek comment to be honest and I've looked into it myself but didnt think it was worth my time. Might have another look if it only takes 5 mins though.

Quote Originally Posted by Hungry Blue View Post
    Using the utilities - she is getting paid so shouldn't she be contributing to the cost?

It was a bit of a tongue in cheek comment to be honest and I've looked into it myself but didnt think it was worth my time. Might have another look if it only takes 5 mins though.
    No worries As i see it, she wasn't paying for the utilities when she was in the office, why should she pay now? Anyway, i might not pursue it, just seeing what was available, if anything