+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Unilateral Tan

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Unilateral Tan

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen's Nephew View Post
    Yup, 100% from me too. Excellent summary. To get into the PL twice within 5 years only to be relegated on each occasion is a footballing and financial travesty. It took 52 (?) odd years to get back into the top tier. I really don't understand the club management structure at all.
    I don’t suppose it’s that much different to many other clubs?

Quote Originally Posted by Vindec View Post
    It probably would have cost upwards of £200m for the club to last longer than one season in the Premier League. Those that don't spend normally get relegated. We have wasted a lot of money undoubtedly but that was a relatively small sum compared with the amount we would have needed to spend to retain Premier League status. Do people honestly believe that consulting fans over a new manager would make a blind bit of difference, and we simply don't have the funds to spend £100s of millions required to retain Premier League status.
    We got promoted in 2013 with Crystal Palace. We spent far more than them in that first season to stay in the Prem. They stayed there and kicked on and are now established. Leicester the following year didn’t need to spend 200m to stay in the league initially. Its not how much you spend it’s how you spend the money you do have to spend.

Look at Burnley. Have they spent 200m in total since they’ve been in the PL?

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    We got promoted in 2013 with Crystal Palace. We spent far more than them in that first season to stay in the Prem. They stayed there and kicked on and are now established. Leicester the following year didn’t need to spend 200m to stay in the league initially. Its not how much you spend it’s how you spend the money you do have to spend.

Look at Burnley. Have they spent 200m in total since they’ve been in the PL?
    So you don't think staying in the Premier League has anything to do with money but more about the way clubs spend the money they have? I just happen to disagree with you. For every example you cite there are others who have not spent such as WBA, Norwich and Hull and then got relegated. Normally the more money clubs have the better they perform. If you don't believe the Premier League is about money you are of course entitled to your opinion as I am mine.

Vincent Tan keeps, or rather kept the club afloat, and for that I am grateful, but let’s not ignore the fact that an absolute shitload of money has been wasted and continues to be wasted under his stewardship because he is not taking the right advice.

I’m not saying he should consult fans on managerial appointments or player transfers but he sure as hell needs a sporting director or structure in place so that he starts getting better value for the millions he’s putting in.

Tan, Choo and Dalman know **** all about football and they are still being led by agents or chancers like Warnock. They are not new to the game anymore, surely by now they can see for the long term success of this club the current structure does not work.

He can’t let go of the Acorn signing nearly 8 years ago but we’ve wasted that ten fold since Malky left and Tan and the three amigos took charge of transfers.

Club is a basket case.
    Totally agree and we're going nowhere fast under the stewardship of this fella and his incompetent lieutenants. I don't buy this notion that because he owns the club he can do what he likes. That might be true legally but certainly not ethically; a football club is so much more than a regular commercial enterprise and it has a special role in maintaining local identity and pride.

Yes we might be keeping ourselves afloat under his administration but there's never any hope of development because the club infrastructure and personnel mitigate against it.

Surely every supporter wants better for their club so just marking time is never an option. In any case no one knows if there is any positive long term plan for the club or, more likely, is Tan just protecting his investment until he gets his opportunity to offload the club.

And before anyone says these mega wealthy owners don't grow on trees I'm aware of that so in the short term I accept we're stuck with Tan. However, that doesn't stop me yearning for new owners to come along sooner rather than later otherwise we shall forever be stuck as also rans.

So you don't think staying in the Premier League has anything to do with money but more about the way clubs spend the money they have? I just happen to disagree with you. For every example you cite there are others who have not spent such as WBA, Norwich and Hull and then got relegated. Normally the more money clubs have the better they perform. If you don't believe the Premier League is about money you are of course entitled to your opinion as I am mine.
    The thing is it's about more than just money. It's about having the right ambition, the right infrastructure, the right manager AND spending the right amount of money wisely.

In my opinion the club has never had any of the first three requirements and on both occasions we were promoted it didn't invest sufficient money to build on its status. However having the wrong ambition, infrastructure and manager in the first place always meant that no matter how much money was spent the project was likely always doomed to fail.

Quote Originally Posted by Dorcus View Post
    The thing is it's about more than just money. It's about having the right ambition, the right infrastructure, the right manager AND spending the right amount of money wisely.

In my opinion the club has never had any of the first three requirements and on both occasions we were promoted it didn't invest sufficient money to build on its status. However having the wrong ambition, infrastructure and manager in the first place always meant that no matter how much money was spent the project was likely always doomed to fail.
    The club has the right infrastructure but not the money to sustain its status as a Premier League club. I believe the club has ambition but without the money to support it. You can have as much ambition as you like but without money clubs will always find it difficult to compete at the highest level.

And what exactly is the right amount of money to quote you? And where is this money to come from? It's normal for fans to complain about their football club but really it's laughable for fans to suggest that money should be forthcoming when we don't put our wealth at stake or make financial decisions as directors that could make us personally liable for club debts.

When we got promoted last time, I actually thought Bobby Reid and Murphy would do ok, can’t recall who else Warnock signed, but not many more? Reid seems to be ok at Fulham and Murphy is a massive disappointment......maybe a different manager would have bought better....

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    When we got promoted last time, I actually thought Bobby Reid and Murphy would do ok, can’t recall who else Warnock signed, but not many more?
    Harry Arter (loan)
    Leandro Bacuna
    Victor Camarasa (loan)
    Greg Cunningham
    Oumar Niasse (loan)
    Alex Smithies

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    Harry Arter (loan)
    Leandro Bacuna
    Victor Camarasa (loan)
    Greg Cunningham
    Oumar Niasse (loan)
    Alex Smithies
    Arter, victor and smithies were all good too yeah?

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    Arter, victor and smithies were all good too yeah?
    Uh, yeah. If you say so.

(Actually, I thought Arter was a one-trick pony of limited use, Camarasa was talented but a bit of a shithouse and Smithies didn't make a single Premier League appearance for City).

I wasn't intending to offer an opinion of any sort. You said you couldn't recall who Warnock signed for City's Premier League team, so I just filled in the blanks for you.

Totally agree

The club has the right infrastructure but not the money to sustain its status as a Premier League club. I believe the club has ambition but without the money to support it. You can have as much ambition as you like but without money clubs will always find it difficult to compete at the highest level.

And what exactly is the right amount of money to quote you? And where is this money to come from? It's normal for fans to complain about their football club but really it's laughable for fans to suggest that money should be forthcoming when we don't put our wealth at stake or make financial decisions as directors that could make us personally liable for club debts.
    How does it have the right infrastructure? It’s got 2 luxury car salesman heading it’s recruitment.

How does it have the right infrastructure? It’s got 2 luxury car salesman heading it’s recruitment.
    Infrastructure tends to be capital orientated. By infrastructure I was referring to the ground. The salesmen, as you describe them, form part of the club's structure which I didn't comment on.

Capital is a limited success factor, it’s needed to form and establish physical elements. what’s needed is competence and that is manifested by having the people and more importantly skill sets in place. We’ve have relative capital available at the club for years. Yet we’ve not really moved anywhere.

I’d suggest the car salesman are making decisions without any football foundation. For me that’s not a structure. It’s reckless

Quote Originally Posted by horse_face View Post
    Capital is a limited success factor, it’s needed to form and establish physical elements. what’s needed is competence and that is manifested by having the people and more importantly skill sets in place. We’ve have relative capital available at the club for years. Yet we’ve not really moved anywhere.

I’d suggest the car salesman are making decisions without any football foundation. For me that’s not a structure. It’s reckless

Quote Originally Posted by RonnieBird View Post
    Can't believe that post !
    He's a businessman investing millions - why would he consult fans ?

Many people here for example are automatically negative and obviously have no understanding of the game.

People get confused whether this is professional sport or some kind of community social project.