+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Peter Jackson - former City writer at the Echo.

Re: Peter Jackson - former City writer at the Echo.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I used to get in the 21 club in the early eighties when a few of us from Companies House were on a Friday piss up and had the afternoon off - I was surprised it never had more people in there. Having misjudged Gren, I’m probably wrong again, but I’d never have thought JBG was a 21 club type.
    The other place was the pub just over Caerphilly mountain. We'd all be in a Ford Cortina or similar and as we were getting close, wind down the passenger window and ask a passing female pedestrian ".. excuse me please, can you tell me how far is The Black C*ck Inn ? Laughed our simple heads off every time !

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    The other place was the pub just over Caerphilly mountain. We'd all be in a Ford Cortina or similar and as we were getting close, wind down the passenger window and ask a passing female pedestrian ".. excuse me please, can you tell me how far is The Black C*ck Inn ? Laughed our simple heads off every time !

As a kid I had a violent and deeply unpleasant father who had driven my mother out of the home - and a contact of hers subsequently got in touch with me on the quiet and at a time that I was losing interest in going down the City. For a season or two I faked going to home games on a Saturday, visited her and read the pink on the way home to get my alibi straight.

You’re right, there’d be the half times scores in the late news on the back page.
    On the subject of timings of the Echo, The Late Extra was a rehash of yesterday’s news, The Late City reported things that had happened up to dinner time but the one I’d hang around the paper shop for in the summer was The City Final. Peter Maunder, the newsagent in Carlisle St would harangue me to take a Late City, not a bit of it, that City Final had the later cricket scores, maybe even up to tea, none of your City Final lunchtime scoreboard The little trick that newsagents would play would to be put the Late Extras on top hoping it wasn’t noticed that the later editions were tucked underneath, bloody shysters eh

Grimwades? ..must have heard that second hand!

Quote Originally Posted by Pengs View Post
    Grimwades? ..must have heard that second hand!

I never thought for a second BD would come back saying it was right - this turning into a nice thread.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    On the subject of timings of the Echo, The Late Extra was a rehash of yesterday’s news, The Late City reported things that had happened up to dinner time but the one I’d hang around the paper shop for in the summer was The City Final. Peter Maunder, the newsagent in Carlisle St would harangue me to take a Late City, not a bit of it, that City Final had the later cricket scores, maybe even up to tea, none of your City Final lunchtime scoreboard The little trick that newsagents would play would to be put the Late Extras on top hoping it wasn’t noticed that the later editions were tucked underneath, bloody shysters eh
    You are right, I'd never buy anything but the City Final.

The supermarkets use the newsagents' trick as their model for perishable food.
    I always delve below!
    Oo err missus!

When Glamorgan we’re going for the Championship in 1969, all of our home matches were televised live, but, without the Echo’s scores, it was impossible to find out what was happening until we got the next day’s paper - I had to make do with the Late City edition that was delivered to our house around the time we got back from school.

Quote Originally Posted by Pengs View Post
    Peter with a few of the journalists played Sunday League Football at Pontcanna for a team combo with the BBC, under BBC flag. I had a few games on the wing.
    He was a very good keeper in an average side.
    This was a few years before he left for the Mail. He was a City man through and through then and I have no reason from our several chats that he would ever be anything else.
    Karl Woodward also spoke well of city but did not play himself. Karl also covered the boxing and one or two other sports. Both divided their time writing for the popular pink sports paper and covered all the local league stuff.
    Chris Stuart joined the Western Mail as a young Journo and later became Peter’s replacement and Chris went onto presenting for BBC and BBC Sports radio commentary with shared duties with fellow Western Mail Journo Grahame Lloyd. Grahame hailed from Lincoln but became a firm City fan and I believe is published. He now works in England somewhere but also used to provide radio commentary for City and Wales games.
    I ran a Sunday morning team in the Civil Service League and remember playing against them. I don't recall Peter playing but Bob Humphreys definitely did and was a very friendly bloke. I met him a few times years later when I was with Inter Cardiff and he was doing features and he was still the same. Sad that he was taken so young - I always wondered if it was a legacy of standing at a smokey bar in the Malsters, Whitchurch on his way home every night.
    Grahame Lloyd also came to a few games and I bought a copy of his book 'C'mon City' one week when he brought a pile along to sell.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyncoed Slumdog View Post
    I ran a Sunday morning team in the Civil Service League and remember playing against them. I don't recall Peter playing but Bob Humphreys definitely did and was a very friendly bloke. I met him a few times years later when I was with Inter Cardiff and he was doing features and he was still the same. Sad that he was taken so young - I always wondered if it was a legacy of standing at a smokey bar in the Malsters, Whitchurch on his way home every night.
    Grahame Lloyd also came to a few games and I bought a copy of his book 'C'mon City' one week when he brought a pile along to sell.
    I sometimes played in the relaxed environs of the Civil Service Sunday League and a day after the more testing games I would play on a Saturday (and after having a skinful on Saturday night). Such was the paucity of opposition on one particular Sunday that our team of just seven men beat a full side of Indian chaps who were representing a government establishment of some description. I played up front on my own and scored a hat-trick whilst they scored a solitary goal.

When Glamorgan we’re going for the Championship in 1969, all of our home matches were televised live, but, without the Echo’s scores, it was impossible to find out what was happening until we got the next day’s paper - I had to make do with the Late City edition that was delivered to our house around the time we got back from school.
    Ah (goes all misty eyed) the summer of 69, forever known to us Lady Mary cricket nuts as the Mitching summer. Sophia Gardens had more school blazers on display than Jothams or Wildings that summer

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    I sometimes played in the relaxed environs of the Civil Service Sunday League and a day after the more testing games I would play on a Saturday (and after having a skinful on Saturday night). Such was the paucity of opposition on one particular Sunday that our team of just seven men beat a full side of Indian chaps who were representing a government establishment of some description. I played up front on my own and scored a hat-trick whilst they scored a solitary goal.

You available tomorrow afternoon TBG?

Ah (goes all misty eyed) the summer of 69, forever known to us Lady Mary cricket nuts as the Mitching summer. Sophia Gardens had more school blazers on display than Jothams or Wildings that summer
    I can remember us beating Middlesex in a really exciting finish at Swansea - we almost missed the train to Fishguard for a family holiday in Ireland because my mum and dad insisted we stay and watch the end of the game (I wasn’t complaining!). That holiday meant we missed the even more exciting win over Essex a few days later which went right down to the last ball and then the title winning game with Worcestershire - all I’ve seen of both games was the last ball.

I can remember us beating Middlesex in a really exciting finish at Swansea - we almost missed the train to Fishguard for a family holiday in Ireland because my mum and dad insisted we stay and watch the end of the game (I wasn’t complaining!). That holiday meant we missed the even more exciting win over Essex a few days later which went right down to the last ball and then the title winning game with Worcestershire - all I’ve seen of both games was the last ball.
    The run on to the pitch and the celebrations in front of the balcony live long in the memory, we were mitching for that game in a different school year than the start of the season

You available tomorrow afternoon TBG?
    I would love to but I don't think I would get the same supply up front.

Welcome back, by the way.

The run on to the pitch and the celebrations in front of the balcony live long in the memory, we were mitching for that game in a different school year than the start of the season
    That last bit made me lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    I would love to but I don't think I would get the same supply up front.

Welcome back, by the way.
    Thanks