+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: 3 at the back

3 at the back

Last night we went 3-5-2 and it looked better than the shambles we started with

Is this a sign to come? Will it work?

Re: 3 at the back

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    Damning with faint praise...

I've wondered about playing 3 at the back. We've got players that could play in front of them and it might help us connect the dots. Something like 3-2-4-1 with Pack and Ralls as the 2? If 2 of the 4 were wingers who would play in the middle?

Do we really want to be starting games with three of our centre-backs in the team? They aren't the most technically gifted players, even by the standards of our squad. The change was probably necessary yesterday because the pitch was bad and we were facing a lot of aerial balls into our penalty area, but that isn't going to happen every week.

Our midfield gets over-run in every game, mainly because our players can't pass the ball to save their lives. So anything that adds to the midfield numbers should help.

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post

Is this a sign to come? Will it work?
    Didn’t Harris try this earlier this season and it was a disaster?

Quote Originally Posted by Ianto13 View Post
    Didn’t Harris try this earlier this season and it was a disaster?
    In the cup if I recall?

And it was a disaster then

He did if at QPR and we know what happened

A good system but not when it includes Aiden Flint!

It suited the game as the ball was in the air the entire match.

With Bagan and Ng we are tailor made for 3-5-2. Unfortunately we dont have the defenders comfortable enough to play 3 at the back.

First Team light up the darkness's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RonnieBird View Post
    A good system but not when it includes Aiden Flint!

He was too slow to start with and he’s not going to get any quicker

Smile Re: 3 at the back

I’m all for us playing with three at the back in theory, the problems have tended to start when we try to put it into practice.

Last night three at the back was an improvement on what went before it, but we were all over the shop at centre back when we were playing with a back four.

You'd like to think a professional side in the second tier would have the ability to effectively switch for 4 to 3 or visa versa with ease ?

I wanted to see us play 3 centre backs when we had Benkovic and Bamba available, thought it would have given us more flexibility with the wing backs, especially with Bacuna at right back. But now, with Flint? Not so sure.

I definitely think your need 3 across the middle in this league...either in a 3-5-2, or a 4-5-1. We beat a poor Rotherham team playing 4-4-2, and tried to play it against better teams...and came unstuck unfortunately.

We have always had the players for 3 at the back but Harris just didn't know how to play it although I always thought it was in his mind to. Keep trying it.

Quote Originally Posted by G rangetown Blue View Post
    I definitely think your need 3 across the middle in this league...either in a 3-5-2, or a 4-5-1. We beat a poor Rotherham team playing 4-4-2, and tried to play it against better teams...and came unstuck unfortunately.
    Rotherham?

Quote Originally Posted by light up the darkness View Post
    He was too slow to start with and he’s not going to get any quicker
    He used to be a fairly good player but he's actually long past his best and he simply can't keep up with the game at this level.