+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: 3-4-3

3-4-3

it's been a long while since we have looked decent with 3 at the back, probably since Lennie Lawrence?
    I quite like the 3-4-3 formation, I wonder if McCarthy will persist with 3 at the back if he stays here beyond his current contract.
    I have a sneaking suspicion that we're just playing it at the moment to be able to get flint and Morrison in the team and get the best out of ojo and Wilson.
    assuming we do well and want to continue with it, what would that mean we need in terms of players in the summer?
    wing backs we will have Ng and Bagan, Ng is already looking like a good signing, and is well suited to the formation. Bagan looked decent enough when playing in a back 4, but we didn't see him getting forward that much to see what he can offer in an attacking sense. his passing seems decent amount though.
    if Bennett re-signes then that's LWB covered as he is a natural at that position - Trollope originally signed him to play as a wing back but Bennett was injured for basically the entirety of Trollope's time as manager.

centre backs we will have Morrison, flint, Nelson and brown, but that will be covering 3 places, so you'd have thought we would need another centre back at least, unless we have any youngsters ready to step up.

central midfield we will have ralls, pack, vaulks and Bacuna, covering 2 spots, so we would probably need to move someone on before bringing someone in in that instance.
    I think that this formation relies less on the CMS to be creative, so their weaknesses aren't as apparent l, so maybe we would keep them.

wingers/am we will have Murphy and Whyte (if he comes back) we are definitely going to need to replace ojo and Wilson if possible, and bringing Murphy back into the first team would be a real bonus.

up front we have Moore, watters and Harris and vassell covering one spot, with potentially glatzel coming back as well, so it seems unlikely they we will bring in anyone else here unless several leave.

so we will need at least one CB, and some wingers, potentially on loan again.

from this tactical description of the formation:
    20201231_200009.jpg

it suggests that having a CB that can pass and bring the ball out of defence is important, and I wouldn't say that any of the current lot have that as a particular strength, so maybe that's the type of player we will look to bring in.

Re: 3-4-3

Can’t complain at the results with 3-4-3 at the moment, but Rotherham overran us in midfield in the first half and on Saturday we’ll be playing Coventry who used a 3-5-1-1 on Friday against Watford in their last game. We’ve played twice since then and it’ll be a real struggle for our central midfield if we persist with two in there, but, with Bacuna and Ralls injury doubts, we may not have a choice unless McCarthy decides to bring in a youngster and I can’t see that happening - maybe Wilson will be asked to play slightly deeper?

Harris just didn't know how to set us up with 3 at the back, I understand him trying as we had the players but he just didn't have the tactics.

I remember in division 3 Leggy turning into some kind of super sweeper. I was young at the time and thought wow this guy can do anything.

I wouldn't set to much in stone until a new manager arrives tbh.

Quote Originally Posted by 2b2bdoo View Post
    Harris just didn't know how to set us up with 3 at the back, I understand him trying as we had the players but he just didn't have the tactics.

I remember in division 3 Leggy turning into some kind of super sweeper. I was young at the time and thought wow this guy can do anything.

I wouldn't set to much in stone until a new manager arrives tbh.
    I’d forgotten about that with Leggy - he was excellent in that role, albeit in the Fourth Division. Didn’t he get back into the Wales team for a game or two on the back of his performances as sweeper?

International

No mention in the OP of Harris. Does he not have anything to offer?

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I’d forgotten about that with Leggy - he was excellent in that role, albeit in the Fourth Division. Didn’t he get back into the Wales team for a game or two on the back of his performances as sweeper?
    I think he played sweeper against Armenia. I seem to remember his pass got intercepted and we drew 2-2.

International

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    Sorry, just re-read it.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    I think he played sweeper against Armenia. I seem to remember his pass got intercepted and we drew 2-2.
    Yes, you’re right - thanks.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/foot...02/1240239.stm

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    Difficult to say. His role under Harris was to provide energy up front but this sometimes came at a cost to other facets of his game and we didn't see the type of finish he produced against Germany away for Wales youth side recently. I don't think we know if/how he's going to work in this league yet.