Like a lot of others I think, I misjudged Mick McCarthy's management record when he was appointed our manager and thought of him as another defensive, long ball, set piece orientated merchant. Articles like the one the OP refers to show that this is unfair. However, what I feel isn't unfair is that a case could be built for claiming that he has morphed into that sort of manager in recent years.

McCarthy's Ipswich sides seemed to me to be direct, physical and lacking in x factor and that was a constant criticism he attracted from their supporters while he was with that club. In his second spell with the Republic of Ireland, the side seemed to be built entirely around keeping things as tight at the back as possible (as set out by the "critic" in the OP and by TBG above.

Now at Cardiff, he has, in my opinion, tweaked things and, for now at least, it looks like for the better. Where Neil Harris and, to a lesser extent, Neil Warnock failed to get three centrebacks to work effectively, McCarthy is doing so at the moment and, in doing so, is creating an "extra man" for us further up the pitch. I used to think that a successfully applied three man defence could enable us to play with two forwards and three in central midfield, but, McCarthy has been more adventurous, by using what could be called two number tens that are ensuring that our striker isn't as isolated as he has been in the past. The downside of this is that it puts a very big burden on two central midfielders, but, after this was emphasised against Coventry, Pack and Vaulks coped well on Tuesday.

So, up to now, I'd say McCarthy has improved us at either end of the pitch, but our way of playing is still certainly a lot more like Warnockball than the sort of progressive, passing approach that many were saying would give us an "identity" and would lead to less boring football.

However, I think if he wanted to, Mick McCarthy could defend himself by saying that, rather than being another version of the two Neils, who both had the transfer windows to build something different if they were so minded, he has had to make the best of the hand he has been dealt at both Cardiff and Ireland ("orses for courses to be quote TBG) and it would also be reasonable in my book for him to claim that financial constraints always meant that he was restricted in what he could do at Ipswich.

Finally, it's worth saying that our manager has claimed on more than one occasion that what he has been left with at Cardiff is as good a s et of players as he has experienced at a new club in his managerial experience. I look at that and think that , if he is genuine in thinking that, does it mean that the transformation needed to make us a more enjoyable side to what we've have to put up with for nearly a decade would not be as drastic as many of us think it would be?

It seems to me that if Mick McCarthy steers us to a top half finish he'll be offered a longer contract and it is only then that the question as to whether he has changed his approach as a manager from his days with Millwall, Sunderland, Wolves and his first spell with Ireland will be answered. Anyone watching the Under 23s lately can see that there are a talented group of youngsters coming through who are comfortable playing a more possession based game than we've grown used to seeing from the first team and, although it it's, rightly, pointed out that our spending power will be lessened this summer, there is a positive in that better players should be available for cheaper fees in the Covid, no gates receipts era, so will Mick McCarthy be bold or decide to stick with what he's got?