+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The roads in Cardiff going to be mental once back to normal

Re: The roads in Cardiff going to be mental once back to normal

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    That isn't enough i'm afraid.
    I'm dreadfully sorry. I really wish I had more to report other than two minor accidents, a quick bit of a fisticuffs and a couple of near misses during what's been around ten or fifteen visits to the site in recent months. The fact I can't convince you that positioning a six-foot-wide two-way cycle lane between a group of bus stops and the road on which those buses stop to pick up their passengers is a bad idea hurts me. Actually, scratch that - the truth is I don't give a ****.

Go take a look at this bizarre set-up yourself (you'll obviously have to park your van some distance away, but I know you like a walk). Once you've done that, you can tell me why you think it's a good idea.

Don't give up There's a cycle lane to the left of a lane, hugging the kerb, and there's bus stops there as well? Am i correct?
    The Council in their wisdom, have put white rectangles to make it look like a pedestrian crossing, bikes go past at speed, before long someone is going to get seriously hurt, as the cyclists do not slow down, as the selfish barstewards think it is their right of way.

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    The Council in their wisdom, have put white rectangles to make it look like a pedestrian crossing, bikes go past at speed, before long someone is going to get seriously hurt, as the cyclists do not slow down, as the selfish barstewards think it is their right of way.
    Yeah, motorcyclists go to fast, although if they get cracked then it's their problem. I've not seen any accidents yet and i live on the road.

Yeah, motorcyclists go to fast, although if they get cracked then it's their problem. I've not seen any accidents yet and i live on the road.
    I feel for you, living on the road in this weather.

You live outside the Castle ?

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    I'm dreadfully sorry. I really wish I had more to report other than two minor accidents, a quick bit of a fisticuffs and a couple of near misses during what's been around ten or fifteen visits to the site in recent months. The fact I can't convince you that positioning a six-foot-wide two-way cycle lane between a group of bus stops and the road on which those buses stop to pick up their passengers is a bad idea hurts me. Actually, scratch that - the truth is I don't give a ****.

Go take a look at this bizarre set-up yourself (you'll obviously have to park your van some distance away, but I know you like a walk). Once you've done that, you can tell me why you think it's a good idea.

Still not enough.

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    I feel for you, living on the road in this weather.

You live outside the Castle ?
    Inside the castle.

Don't give up There's a cycle lane to the left of a lane, hugging the kerb, and there's bus stops there as well? Am i correct?
    If they're like the ones in Canton then the bus stops in the road but people get on and off in the cycle lanes. It certainly looks like a lot of accidents waiting to happen.

If I were you I'd be wary of jumping in and assuming that the Council are full of smart, forward thinking people who are making positive improvements in the general interest while everyone who opposes them is an old fogey who hates change. My recent dealings with them have been an eye opener. I can't generalise from that, of course, but the guys I've been trying to get some sense out of for about three months are completely out of their depth and shouldn't be allowed anywhere near an important decision.

Quote Originally Posted by Loramski View Post
    If they're like the ones in Canton then the bus stops in the road but people get on and off in the cycle lanes. It certainly looks like a lot of accidents waiting to happen.

If I were you I'd be wary of jumping in and assuming that the Council are full of smart, forward thinking people who are making positive improvements in the general interest while everyone who opposes them is an old fogey who hates change. My recent dealings with them have been an eye opener. I can't generalise from that, of course, but the guys I've been trying to get some sense out of for about three months are completely out of their depth and shouldn't be allowed anywhere near an important decision.
    I think nothing of the sort, i've opposed to council on certain things on several occasions, trust me, i know how inept they can be, and i'm not casting aspersions over anyone's ability to form an opinion. To add, the council don't do it all by themselves, they employ private groups for research and expertise as well. My problem is that some people just can't wait to have a go at things before they're given a chance. If they fail then i'll say as much, i don't really care, i don't have to be right all of the time like some people. If anyone looked at my posting history they would see that, i'm always prepared to concede if the evidence suggests that i'm wrong.

This cycle lane format most certainly wont be unique to cardiff, maybe those who are opposed to it should do a bit of research if they care so much. Me, i'm prepared to give it a chance. If people want to just criticise everything that doesn't sit that well with them or doesn't directly benefit them, then they can crack on, i'd rather give things a chance.

I think nothing of the sort, i've opposed to council on certain things on several occasions, trust me, i know how inept they can be, and i'm not casting aspersions over anyone's ability to form an opinion. To add, the council don't do it all by themselves, they employ private groups for research and expertise as well. My problem is that some people just can't wait to have a go at things before they're given a chance. If they fail then i'll say as much, i don't really care, i don't have to be right all of the time like some people. If anyone looked at my posting history they would see that, i'm always prepared to concede if the evidence suggests that i'm wrong.

This cycle lane format most certainly wont be unique to cardiff, maybe those who are opposed to it should do a bit of research if they care so much. Me, i'm prepared to give it a chance. If people want to just criticise everything that doesn't sit that well with them or doesn't directly benefit them, then they can crack on, i'd rather give things a chance.

That's fair enough, I'd have said much the same up until a few months ago but now I'm not so sure. There's a level of stupidity and incompetence in there that has made me suspicious of any changes, why should people support them or 'give them a chance' if they don't approve of them?

If there was a joined up policy and each change was a step towards a final goal that we were all aware of then I'm sure people would be more supportive but a lot of it just seems to be trying to sort one problem only to create another one in the process. If people have got an issue with that then I don't blame them. The idea of letting people in authority do exactly what they want while we stand by and wait to see how it turns out is a deeply flawed one. They're a public body, they should always be held to account.

That's fair enough, I'd have said much the same up until a few months ago but now I'm not so sure. There's a level of stupidity and incompetence in there that has made me suspicious of any changes, why should people support them or 'give them a chance' if they don't approve of them?

If there was a joined up policy and each change was a step towards a final goal that we were all aware of then I'm sure people would be more supportive but a lot of it just seems to be trying to sort one problem only to create another one in the process. If people have got an issue with that then I don't blame them. The idea of letting people in authority do exactly what they want while we stand by and wait to see how it turns out is a deeply flawed one. They're a public body, they should always be held to account.
    Good post. I think that they are held to account, by external auditors and every four years with local elections. I have no idea if the council has been clear enough on these matters, i've not read their website or attempted to look at the information out there, or got involved in public consultations. Maybe those that have concerns should attend such things or atleast challenge the relevant people. What i do know is that it's an actual legal requirement for the WAG to reduce air polution (Or it was) which studies by public health wales says leads or contributes to over 200 deaths a year in the cardiff and vale health area, and poor health in others due to air quality. Whether these schemes end up being effective, who knows. The UK is years behind plenty of other european countries in terms of air pollution and the effects of it.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    I travel to work around the outskirts of the city centre every day and have been doing so throughout the pandemic. As you say, I reckon a great many drivers are going to be in for some very nasty surprises as soon as things begin moving again.

If I owned any kind of business that is based either in the city centre itself or anywhere near it I’d be extremely worried. Access for customers and staff alike is going to be a nightmare.
    Do you think you’ll still be able to access the city centre, on a number 27 bus?

I’m just asking as I’m concerned for a fellow forum member, I think his name is BLUEKNOB.

Apologies, BLUETIT, my mistake.

He needs to get to the train station.

Good post. I think that they are held to account, by external auditors and every four years with local elections. I have no idea if the council has been clear enough on these matters, i've not read their website or attempted to look at the information out there, or got involved in public consultations. Maybe those that have concerns should attend such things or atleast challenge the relevant people. What i do know is that it's an actual legal requirement for the WAG to reduce air polution (Or it was) which studies by public health wales says leads or contributes to over 200 deaths a year in the cardiff and vale health area, and poor health in others due to air quality. Whether these schemes end up being effective, who knows. The UK is years behind plenty of other european countries in terms of air pollution and the effects of it.
    Yes, and if the Council say they need to cut car journeys because of pollution or because the infrastructure can't cope then fair enough. But surely the obligation is then on them to incentivise people to leave their cars at home by having an integrated, cheap and reliable public transport system alongside a city wide cycle lane system rather than a piecemeal one? I agree the car culture needs to change but the council needs to find a way of encouraging that. Just moving traffic jams from one place to another and having cyclists running over bus passengers isn't helping anything.

I'm not sure how the accountability thing works with a Council. Of course there are elections but the muppets in the road and transport department won't lose their jobs, I'm not really sure who they're accountable to. I've put in a complaint to the council about them and got individual councillors involved in our issue with them but the tail seems to be wagging the dog.

Yes, and if the Council say they need to cut car journeys because of pollution or because the infrastructure can't cope then fair enough. But surely the obligation is then on them to incentivise people to leave their cars at home by having an integrated, cheap and reliable public transport system alongside a city wide cycle lane system rather than a piecemeal one? I agree the car culture needs to change but the council needs to find a way of encouraging that. Just moving traffic jams from one place to another and having cyclists running over bus passengers isn't helping anything.

I'm not sure how the accountability thing works with a Council. Of course there are elections but the muppets in the road and transport department won't lose their jobs, I'm not really sure who they're accountable to. I've put in a complaint to the council about them and got individual councillors involved in our issue with them but the tail seems to be wagging the dog.
    Nailed it Loramski with your reliable and cheap public transport comment, what worries me will they have a desire to get people back to work wil, they drive for a work from home policy which might kill off the economy of the City Centre ?? I hear upwards of 40 thousand jobs are at risk in the hospitality sector in our city centre potentially .

Completely agree with much of what you say. Many times during threads like these i've argued for cheaper, more reliable public transport. I'd go one further and support a tax which ensured that public transport was pennies to use. More park and ride schemes etc that are affordable. One thing is for certain is that dealing with the council can be arduous, a struggle, things don't happen quickly. The only tip i can give you is to not give up, keep knocking the door and shouting through the letterbox. They don't like that. Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Nailed it Loramski with your reliable and cheap public transport comment, what worries me will they have a desire to get people back to work wil, they drive for a work from home policy which might kill off the economy of the City Centre ?? I hear upwards of 40 thousand jobs are at risk in the hospitality sector in our city centre potentially .
    It wont be down to the council to decide if people end up back in offices. If that's what you're saying.

Completely agree with much of what you say. Many times during threads like these i've argued for cheaper, more reliable public transport. I'd go one further and support a tax which ensured that public transport was pennies to use. More park and ride schemes etc that are affordable. One thing is for certain is that dealing with the council can be arduous, a struggle, things don't happen quickly. The only tip i can give you is to not give up, keep knocking the door and shouting through the letterbox. They don't like that. Good luck
    Thanks. It's not that big a deal in the grand scheme of things and I don't even drive but they've wound me up so much I'm like Mel Gibson with the South Africans in Lethal Weapon 2 now.

Thanks. It's not that big a deal in the grand scheme of things and I don't even drive but they've wound me up so much I'm like Mel Gibson with the South Africans in Lethal Weapon 2 now.
    They tend to turn people that way

It wont be down to the council to decide if people end up back in offices. If that's what you're saying.
    You are right up to Welsh Government to strike the right balance for country.

It's started. One road closes and bedlam.
    https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/w...ident-20188361