+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cardiff City 1 - 0 Real Madrid. 50 years ago today

Re: Cardiff City 1 - 0 Real Madrid. 50 years ago today

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    Running through who you can see and working out who is left out, I would hazard a guess it's David Carver
    Dont think its Carver. Didn't he have lighter hair ? The person involved has quite dark hair. I haven't got a clue who it is.

Running through who you can see and working out who is left out, I would hazard a guess it's David Carver
    Is it John Parsons?

Me!! Bob Bank. Bobby Woodruff still lives in Canton I think.

I was there and, despite my age, I can spell correctly the surname of the goal scorer unlike some on here.

I'm Spartacus!

(Albeit in the Grange End and having being crushed half to death when exiting the ground).

I was there as well. Those were the days when you could pay on the gate minutes before the match started. If only that arrangement would return.

Still looking for ticket and programme but here's a pic of the team training at The Bernabeu before the second leg

Attachment 4353
    I'd say that from left to right, they are dunno, Brian Clark, Ian Gibson, John Parsons, Mel Sutton, Richie Morgan, Peter King, Nigel Rees, Jim Eadie, dunno, Don Murray, dunno, dunno, dunno, looks like Bobby Woodruff, Jimmy Scoular, dunno and I think it might be Dave Carver.

Players who were there or likely to be there who I've not named - Gary Bell, Leighton Phillips, Ronnie Bird played in the game before this one, so I assume he was in the party, Frank Parsons, Steve Derrett. Brian Harris and, maybe , Alan Warboys.

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    I dare anyone to name the one second in line over Brian Clarks right shoulder ! Now that would be a true fan. PS. The shorts and training bottoms in those days don't leave much to the imagination
    It looks like there are two midfielders behind Clark that are visible (Gibson and Lea ?) so maybe the hidden one with dark hair could be another midfielder, Mel Sutton perhaps.

Mmm maybe not Leslie Lea next to Gibson as he'd left us before the Real Madrid game. Looks like him though !

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I'd say that from left to right, they are dunno, Brian Clark, Ian Gibson, John Parsons, Mel Sutton, Richie Morgan, Peter King, Nigel Rees, Jim Eadie, Leighton Phillips, Don Murray, dunno, dunno, dunno, looks like Bobby Woodruff, Jimmy Scoular, dunno and I think it might be Dave Carver.

Over Scoular's right shoulder is Woodruff, left shoulder is Ronnie I think, Warboys is behind Don

Players who were there or likely to be there who I've not named - Gary Bell, Leighton Phillips, Ronnie Bird played in the game before this one, so I assume he was in the party, Frank Parsons, Steve Derrett. Brian Harris and, maybe , Alan Warboys.

That's from looking at the original photo

That's from looking at the original photo
    Should be "IN FRONT OF DON"

Quote Originally Posted by Moodybluebird View Post
    Mmm maybe not Leslie Lea next to Gibson as he'd left us before the Real Madrid game. Looks like him though !
    Les Lea had been sold to Barnsley by then.

Celebrating an occasion like this does put our standing as a football club into perspective though, as it was a tie in which we were eliminated from the competition.

Having said that, I showed my son and then my grandson clips of THAT goal as soon as they could kick a ball !

Les Lea had been sold to Barnsley by then.
    I was surprised when I checked it out how many appearances he made for Barnsley (205).

Celebrating an occasion like this does put our standing as a football club into perspective though, as it was a tie in which we were eliminated from the competition.

Having said that, I showed my son and then my grandson clips of THAT goal as soon as they could kick a ball !
    That’s true Moody, in years to come we will also celebrate getting to 2 cup finals in the 21st century - and we lost both!

Quote Originally Posted by Don Corleone View Post
    That’s true Moody, in years to come we will also celebrate getting to 2 cup finals in the 21st century - and we lost both!
    But there is always 1927 remember !! Now that is worth celebrating.

Talking of which I was checking out my programme collection when I retired 5 years ago and came across one with a load of random signatures inside. Must have been in a batch I bought at the club shop. Anyhow to my surprise it was signed by Ernie Curtis, who played for City in the 1927 final. At the time he was the youngest player ever to appear in an FA Cup final, aged 19. Quite a lucky find that !

I'd say that from left to right, they are dunno, Brian Clark, Ian Gibson, John Parsons, Mel Sutton, Richie Morgan, Peter King, Nigel Rees, Jim Eadie, dunno, Don Murray, dunno, dunno, dunno, looks like Bobby Woodruff, Jimmy Scoular, dunno and I think it might be Dave Carver.

I agree Paul, the one next toEadie is Frank Parsons, then Warboys. I can't make out the ones further back.

I was there. I walked out to Ninian Park via Tudor Street and Ninian Park Road, almost certainly having pie and chips at Dell's Fish Shop. Though at that time I stood on the Grange End, for this game I was on the Bob Bank, about a third of the way up and half-way along towards the Canton Stand. Memories.

StT.
    <><

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Morris View Post
    Who was there?
    I was. On the Grange End.

Bob Bank for me that night, normally a Grange Ender. Probably the greatest roar for a goal ever !! Att. was given as 47500 I think, plus about 10000 for the clubs coffers One of the greatest night games ever for me at NP.

I dare anyone to name the one second in line over Brian Clarks right shoulder ! Now that would be a true fan. PS. The shorts and training bottoms in those days don't leave much to the imagination
    John Parsons isn’t it?

It looks like there are two midfielders behind Clark that are visible (Gibson and Lea ?) so maybe the hidden one with dark hair could be another midfielder, Mel Sutton perhaps.
    Mel Sutton is a bit further back, behind Richie Morgan and next to Peter King.

Mel Sutton is a bit further back, behind Richie Morgan and next to Peter King.
    Mel Sutton used to have the strangest demeanour for a sportsman. I recall him as being a bit crouched over and crab-like.
    Or is my memory playing tricks on me?

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    Mel Sutton used to have the strangest demeanour for a sportsman. I recall him as being a bit crouched over and crab-like.
    Or is my memory playing tricks on me?
    Yep, like Chris Waddle

Yep, like Chris Waddle
    You meant 'No' perhaps. Or did Chris Waddle's memory play tricks on him too?