+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cardiff City 1 - 0 Real Madrid. 50 years ago today

Re: Cardiff City 1 - 0 Real Madrid. 50 years ago today

Quote Originally Posted by cardiff55 View Post
    I agree Paul, the one next toEadie is Frank Parsons, then Warboys. I can't make out the ones further back.
    How about Derrett, Pethard, Villars and Gary Bell, gotta be there ?

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    Mel Sutton used to have the strangest demeanour for a sportsman. I recall him as being a bit crouched over and crab-like.
    Or is my memory playing tricks on me?
    My uncle used to call Sutton ‘super chicken’ because he had an odd gait and literally ran like a chicken on the pitch. All arms, stooped body and long legs. Bit embarrassing to me as a teenager when he used to shout out ‘come on super chicken’ all the time to various bemused looks from others.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    Mel Sutton used to have the strangest demeanour for a sportsman. I recall him as being a bit crouched over and crab-like.
    Or is my memory playing tricks on me?
    When he played for us his nickname was Spider, probably because he was 'all arms and legs'.

Quote Originally Posted by Moodybluebird View Post
    When he played for us his nickname was Spider, probably because he was 'all arms and legs'.
    I’ve also heard him referred to as Snowy.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Morris View Post
    Who was there?
    I was.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    I’ve also heard him referred to as Snowy.
    I remember that. I think it was because he always had such white legs. I used to think he scuttled rather than ran although he never seemed to stop either.

I was in my usual position at the back of the Grange End. Bought my ticket in the Station Cafe in Merthyr. Those were the days.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve the Tea View Post
    I was there. I walked out to Ninian Park via Tudor Street and Ninian Park Road, almost certainly having pie and chips at Dell's Fish Shop. Though at that time I stood on the Grange End, for this game I was on the Bob Bank, about a third of the way up and half-way along towards the Canton Stand. Memories.

StT.
    <><
    That's exactly where I stood. And you didn't even say "Hi" !

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    Found the ticket, it was for in the Ground (Grange End or Bob Bank), it was 8/- (40p)

Programme was 1/- (5p)
    madrid2.jpg

madrid3.jpg

Who was there?
    I was on the Bob Bank in front of the gantry with my brother. Gary Bell was right when he says we should have won by more goals. Pitch was heavily sanded that season which had pretty much killed off the roots, not much grass poking through. Too young to go for a drink after the game to celebrate. A night I will always remember when the mighty Bluebirds beat legendary Real Madrid. Up the City!

One of my claim to fames is to say i was there. Our legendary Frankie went to the Bernabeu for the away leg. Wish i went there too.

Quote Originally Posted by alfie View Post
    One of my claim to fames is to say i was there. Our legendary Frankie went to the Bernabeu for the away leg. Wish i went there too.
    A few from the Splott Labour Club went as well, only one I know of still alive now though.

I read earlier that Emerson Lake and Palmer played at the Capitol Theatre 50 years ago today, so did anyone here make the choice of going to the gig instead the game?

I was only 2 at the time so didn't make either.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    I read earlier that Emerson Lake and Palmer played at the Capitol Theatre 50 years ago today, so did anyone here make the choice of going to the gig instead the game?

I was only 2 at the time so didn't make either.
    No excuse!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by alfie View Post
    Bought a signed match poster from the legend,incredible night at Ninian Park .

Apologise if this has been posted before https://twitter.com/lauramkenyon/sta...424382465?s=21

Quote Originally Posted by Majorblue View Post
    I attended both legs.
    But of a treat for an 11 year old.
    Can you remember what happened in the second leg? I couldn't get to see it, even on TV.
    I seem to recall a story that Bell was hit by a "missile", ref played on while he was down, they scored, and ref forced us to restart when he was STILL down - and they scored again.

Or have I been misinformed.

Quote Originally Posted by bobh View Post
    Can you remember what happened in the second leg? I couldn't get to see it, even on TV.
    I seem to recall a story that Bell was hit by a "missile", ref played on while he was down, they scored, and ref forced us to restart when he was STILL down - and they scored again.

I've a vague memory that we scored just before half time, but the ref found some reason to disallow it. (maybe I'm just dreaming that though)
    I'll see if I got the EGGO report of the 2nd leg

Think I was in the ground in my usual spot two hours before kick off, literally straight from school and out again. One of those never to be forgotten nights. Later on in life I got to know Brian Clark pretty well. Top man , very modest and a gentleman. Did he have dementia or Alzeihmers before he passed away ?

Who was there?
    I was only seven (no excuse I know...) but my Dad went to both games.

As he was circulation manager at The Echo at the time, he even somehow wangled a trip to Madrid beforehand with my Mum and had a tour of the Bernabeu including the trophy room.

You can only imagine how often he went on about it. 😂

Second leg 2-0 to Real Madrid. Goals were a while apart, so don't think the Bell ‘missile’ scenario is correct. Just didn't defend two long balls into box well.

Although 6 of their team had won a European Cup previously there was virtually no difference in class on the night. And looking at the clip now, it is surprising the lack of artistry shown by Real even allowing for the state of the pitch.

Looking at the goals in the away leg, neither of them could be described as well-crafted.

Their first was the result of a poor punched clearance by our goalie (Jim Eadie ?) that landed inside our own area and was hit first time by the Real player into the back of the net. Well taken but could have been avoided.

Their second was straight from the Wimbledon training ground. A long kick from the Real keeper down the centre of the pitch, a headed flick-on by their centre forward into our penalty area and finished off by his teammate.

At least we ran them close and added a memorable chapter to the club's history.

Oh, yeah. I wuz there. Huge outing, lots of uncles. My grandfather wasn't there. He sold his ticket for the price of a few pints.

Quote Originally Posted by Moodybluebird View Post
    Looking at the goals in the away leg, neither of them could be described as well-crafted.

Their first was the result of a poor punched clearance by our goalie (Jim Eadie ?) that landed inside our own area and was hit first time by the Real player into the back of the net. Well taken but could have been avoided.

Their second was straight from the Wimbledon training ground. A long kick from the Real keeper down the centre of the pitch, a headed flick-on by their centre forward into our penalty area and finished off by his teammate.

At least we ran them close and added a memorable chapter to the club's history.
    I've seen a DVD of the match and there was no disallowed goal by City that I can remember - in fact the only chance we had was from a header by Nigel Rees which he got wrong as he put the ball wide from a great position while it was still 0-0.

The two goals were just two to three minutes apart and you do a good job of describing them - they were both preventable and the second one especially was a poor one to concede.

As for Gary Bell being hit by something thrown from the crowd, that's correct, but, as I remember it, that happened after the goals had been scored and there was plenty in the Echo about the officiating (the ref, who I think was from Hungary, gave thirty seven fouls against us and only six against Real I think it was!) and the gamesmanship of both the crowd and some of the Real staff.