+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: 52 deaths due to Coivid in UK Reported Yesterday

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: 52 deaths due to Coivid in UK Reported Yesterday

I think only 2 reported in Wales yesterday but it was the weekend figure. Now awaiting today's figures. As low now as last September. Reported infections are going down too, and we are testing more people now than last year. But there again, there are signs from Italy, Poland and Germany of rising figures, allegedly due to other strains.

Quote Originally Posted by cardiff55 View Post
    I think only 2 reported in Wales yesterday but it was the weekend figure. Now awaiting today's figures. As low now as last September. Reported infections are going down too, and we are testing more people now than last year. But there again, there are signs from Italy, Poland and Germany of rising figures, allegedly due to other strains.
    As long as the vaccines work as they're thought to we shouldn't have to worry.

The amount of testing we are doing at the moment is reassuring too, especially with the low % of positivity coming from them.

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post

The amount of testing we are doing at the moment is reassuring too, especially with the low % of positivity coming from them.
    I think you are misunderstanding how they work.

They do not stop you getting ill, they reduce the chances of you getting ill by a good margin, they reduce but not eliminate transmission. They stop you from dieing.

There will still be transmission of the virus, and the more elusive strains will still likely make you ill as the vaccine is not effective against these other strains. As soon as we allow people to go on holidays again more strains will enter the country that are likely to beat the vaccines.

Enjoy this upcoming break from it all, but we are not even half way through this yet...

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Dragon View Post

They do not stop you getting ill, they reduce the chances of you getting ill by a good margin, they reduce but not eliminate transmission. They stop you from dieing.

There will still be transmission of the virus, and the more elusive strains will still likely make you ill as the vaccine is not effective against these other strains. As soon as we allow people to go on holidays again more strains will enter the country that are likely to beat the vaccines.

Enjoy this upcoming break from it all, but we are not even half way through this yet...
    I think you're right with what you say, but also think the threat to health services being over run is going to be greatly reduced which should help bring normality back.

However the biggest problem we have is unvaccinated countries, which is still not going to be resolved soon. I think I heard that 130 countries have not begun vaccination, and that's mainly because a handful of countries have snaffled the doses. Hancock said the UK had reserved over 350 million doses. Doses earmarked for mainly fit over 40s would do more good being sent to health workers in unvaccinated countries but that won't happen.

This is what will hold the world back.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Dragon View Post

Wasnt there a recent report that the Oxford vaccine reduces transmission by 85%? I thought the main thing was that it stops people getting it AND spreading it.....

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    Wasnt there a recent report that the Oxford vaccine reduces transmission by 85%? I thought the main thing was that it stops people getting it AND spreading it.....
    As you say, reduces transmission. That not the same as stops it.

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    As you say, reduces transmission. That not the same as stops it.
    Aren't they all showing fairly high levels of reduction though?

I think the main thing is reducting the severity anyway but a big reduction in transmission will be a big bonus.

I think the main thing is reducting the severity anyway but a big reduction in transmission will be a big bonus.
    Yeah agree.

Goats seems to think the vaccine stops people catching Covid, which is a pretty big misconception of how vaccines work.

Never going to stop it 100%, not yet anyway, but give it a few years.....it’s amazing how much more knowledge the medical world have already compared to 12 months ago....

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    That is the plan , accept in Europe where they seem to be having all sorts of problems , so the suspension of its use will increase the spread risk ,strange times .

I agree. I had my first vaccine jab 3 weeks ago. 12 hours later II developed symptoms like 'flu , which i had for 24 hours. Apart from that no problem. The important thing is about reducing the risk of hospitalisation , and being asthmatic and really old! So old I can remember Les Lea and Barrie Jones playing for City.