Thread: Having the stick/dap in school

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Having the stick/dap in school

Quote Originally Posted by Pearcey3 View Post
    I got the cane for booing the dinner lady

Did you really frighten her ?

Amazing to think nowadays that we were caned in junior school aged 7-11. Caned on numerous occasions in senior school but the open handed slap on the arse by Frank Callus was, looking back, the most perverted punishment. Callus was a horror and bully of the highest order meting out his trademark punishment for things such as talking on the stairs or walking down on the right hand side instead of the left hand side!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Amazing to think nowadays that we were caned in junior school aged 7-11. Caned on numerous occasions in senior school but the open handed slap on the arse by Frank Callus was, looking back, the most perverted punishment. Callus was a horror and bully of the highest order meting out his trademark punishment for things such as talking on the stairs or walking down on the right hand side instead of the left hand side!!!!
    I can recall having the cane at 5 or 6 in the old South Church Street school down the docks

Frank Callus is still alive i believe, according to my mother who is involved with the (catholic church) Remember Mr John? or Jogo as we called him, he was a bit of a twat.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Frank Callus is still alive i believe, according to my mother who is involved with the (catholic church) Remember Mr John? or Jogo as we called him, he was a bit of a twat.

Joggo died fairly recently, was John Williams still there when you were there? Great teacher, drank in The Royal Oak, a musician in St Alban’s band, used to get us in The City with a group complimentary ticket in the late 60s, anyway, he passed away last week. Callus won’t die, looked like he reincarnated at Lliswerry School to continue his reign of terror

Joggo died fairly recently, was John Williams still there when you were there? Great teacher, drank in The Royal Oak, a musician in St Alban’s band, used to get us in The City with a group complimentary ticket in the late 60s, anyway, he passed away last week. Callus won’t die, looked like he reincarnated at Lliswerry School to continue his reign of terror
    No Mr williams. Mr James-Had an accident in his army years, taught Technical Drawing. Mr Wooding-Geography-Dr Shears-Biology-Mr Tudor-Chemistry-Les Gauntlett-PE Mike German-Music-Miss Shamah? Art or some other shit-Mr Mark(Harpo)

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    No Mr williams. Mr James-Had an accident in his army years, taught Technical Drawing. Mr Wooding-Geography-Dr Shears-Biology-Mr Tudor-Chemistry-Les Gauntlett-PE Mike German-Music-Miss Shamah? Art or some other shit-Mr Mark(Harpo)
    Yes, Mr James was there in my time as was Les sssss Tudor, Mike German also. Brian Mark was head but was like the invisible man, hardly ever seen.

I attended St. Cadoc's primary school in the 1960s when the headmaster was Mr. Buckley. He had a reputation among us kids for wielding a bamboo cane with a rusty nail through the end, the better to draw blood. I was sent to his office for 'crossing the white line' in the playground once too often. I stood outside his office trembling for about 20 minutes, the mythical rusty nail growing larger and larger in my imagination. Finally, he showed up. 'Why are you here?' he asked. 'I stepped outside the white line,' I said.

Looks at me for an interminable five seconds.

'Get back to your classroom,' he said.

That is the definition of relief.