+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gaming

Gaming

never understood the attraction myself

Watching football , rugby , cricket , going running , swimming etc , birdwatching , collecting old China, playing chess , whatever

But sitting on a chair pretending to be a gangster , car thief or golfer ?

I am non plussed on that

International

Re: Gaming

I want to know how all these kids can sit in their bedrooms gaming all day but don't have computers or internet to do home schooling, and demand that the government provide it?

No different to people sitting around watching movies and sport

FIFA is great fun with mates

Mario Kart on the switch is a cracking laugh

the GTA games can kill hours if you are bored

COD cannot be faulted for entertainment

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    I want to know how all these kids can sit in their bedrooms gaming all day but don't have computers or internet to do home schooling, and demand that the government provide it?
    So how do you know all kids are sitting in their bedrooms gaming all day but don't have computers? Over to you.

International

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    So how do you know all kids are sitting in their bedrooms gaming all day but don't have computers? Over to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Llandaff Blue View Post
    I'd go further and say that interactivity with gaming media is better in every way. Problem-solving, team-building, technical skills, art, music, graphic design, complex computer skills development, story-telling, teaching media, training media, educational media, can help with fitness, disabilities, ...gaming is so much more than the stereotypical kids in their bedroom. That's such a cliche and the MSM still hasn't caught up.

It's a bigger industry than sports and movies combined.

During the start of the pandemic, the esports GP at Catalunya included Max Verstappen and attracted 19 Million viewers on Steam.

Motorsport esport has produced drivers who've competed at the 24 Hours of Le Mans as well as numerous other real-world tracks. Where could you learn to drive a Porsche 911, for example, around any World Circuit without 100s of thousands of pounds?

I know Sim Racers in their 80s. It doesn't matter what age you are. Stick a workout app on and race at Spa on a Sim Rig for two hours flat out and you're arms, shoulders, heart, and brain will know it.

Try playing FIFA or PES at the highest level. There are pro teams out there. The games are more complex than darts or snooker I can assure you (and I'm not knocking darts or snooker).

Gaming is being used to help with Dementia and other Neurological Degenerative diseases

It's also incredibly social. Gaming is not a kids thing by any means. Only adults have the disposable income to afford high-level gaming these days.

I could go on.

Full disclosure. I am a game developer.

Sure but its a little odd I think for someone in their 40s pretending to be a drugs dealer , escaping from the police and shooting everyone

I mean city are crap but its real life

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen's Nephew View Post
    I'd go further and say that interactivity with gaming media is better in every way. Problem-solving, team-building, technical skills, art, music, graphic design, complex computer skills development, story-telling, teaching media, training media, educational media, can help with fitness, disabilities, ...gaming is so much more than the stereotypical kids in their bedroom. That's such a cliche and the MSM still hasn't caught up.

During the start of the pandemic, the esports GP at Catalunya included Max Verstappen and attracted 19 Million viewers on Steam.

Motorsport esport has produced drivers who've competed at the 24 Hours of Le Mans as well as numerous other real-world tracks. Where could you learn to drive a Porsche 911, for example, around any World Circuit without 100s of thousands of pounds?

I know Sim Racers in their 80s. It doesn't matter what age you are. Stick a workout app on and race at Spa on a Sim Rig for two hours flat out and you're arms, shoulders, heart, and brain will know it.

Try playing FIFA or PES at the highest level. There are pro teams out there. The games are more complex than darts or snooker I can assure you (and I'm not knocking darts or snooker).

Gaming is being used to help with Dementia and other Neurological Degenerative diseases

It's also incredibly social. Gaming is not a kids thing by any means. Only adults have the disposable income to afford high-level gaming these days.

I could go on.

You put this far more eloquently than I ever could.

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Sure but its a little odd I think for someone in their 40s pretending to be a drugs dealer , escaping from the police and shooting everyone

It is the same as reading a murder mystery novel or binge watching breaking bad is it not? World building, fantasy and escapism.. all of which are good, in moderation.

As opposed to watching a film where 40 year old men pretend to be drug dealers escaping the police? I think you should read the post above, there's a lot more to gaming than I think you're aware of.

I could go on.

disclosure accepted

I see being social as going for a walk with friends , playing 5 a side , going to watch city , fishing , playing golf , local pub pool league etc

Quote Originally Posted by chris lee View Post
    It is the same as reading a murder mystery novel or binge watching breaking bad is it not? World building, fantasy and escapism.. all of which are good, in moderation.
    I don't do either of those

You put this far more eloquently than I ever could.
    I think you put your point across perfectly

As opposed to watching a film where 40 year old men pretend to be drug dealers escaping the police? I think you should read the post above, there's a lot more to gaming than I think you're aware of.
    I can't think of anything worse than gaming , I think the use of gaming in the treatment of dementia and epilepsy sounds interesting but the concept in itself I find a bit odd

I could go on.

This. Especially with the story telling. I love the Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past (a bit retro ik!) due to it's story-telling and problem-solving nature. And nowadays you have games like Spiderman Miles Morales and the Final Fantasy 7 remake that are very cinematic and fun to play. It is like an interactive movie.

During lockdown, instead of playing football in real life, I have been playing FIFA with my mates and it's like a modern-day game of chess if you think about it. I played Among Us, which helped me reconnect with an old friend who is into that game, and I joined Discord servers making friends from USA to New Zealand.

Gaming is not necessarily a kids thing, I agree. We grew up with games, basically you had late Gen X, Millennial and Gen Z growing up with games and I think with the last 2 generations I mentioned, we are playing games into adulthood. Even more so considering we needed to beat the lockdown boredom!

disclosure accepted

I see being social as going for a walk with friends , playing 5 a side , going to watch city , fishing , playing golf , local pub pool league etc
    Why do these have to be mutually exclusive Sludge? Also, some people can't do all of those things, maybe can no longer do all of those things.

Anyway, I kinda like the fact that we're not all the same!

Quote Originally Posted by adz-a32 View Post
    This. Especially with the story telling. I love the Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past (a bit retro ik!) due to it's story-telling and problem-solving nature. And nowadays you have games like Spiderman Miles Morales and the Final Fantasy 7 remake that are very cinematic and fun to play. It is like an interactive movie.

During lockdown, instead of playing football in real life, I have been playing FIFA with my mates and it's like a modern-day game of chess if you think about it. I played Among Us, which helped me reconnect with an old friend who is into that game, and I joined Discord servers making friends from USA to New Zealand.

Gaming is not necessarily a kids thing, I agree. We grew up with games, basically you had late Gen X, Millennial and Gen Z growing up with games and I think with the last 2 generations I mentioned, we are playing games into adulthood. Even more so considering we needed to beat the lockdown boredom!
    I am glad you enjoy it as other people enjoy playing squash but it all seems a bit bladerunner to me

I can't think of anything worse than gaming , I think the use of gaming in the treatment of dementia and epilepsy sounds interesting but the concept in itself I find a bit odd
    You're being dramatic but fair enough

Why do these have to be mutually exclusive Sludge? Also, some people can't do all of those things, maybe can no longer do all of those things.

Anyway, I kinda like the fact that we're not all the same!
    thats fine it just seems a bit too soylent green , logins run for me

You're being dramatic but fair enough
    no I fully appreciate from the post above that its got its plus points , however fishing clubs bring disabled people close to nature in a more healthy way I would argue

I am glad you enjoy it as other people enjoy playing squash but it all seems a bit bladerunner to me
    Sludge, mate, don’t think I’m crazy but...

I used to play squash as a kid Got any other childhood hobbies of mine you wanna knock?

Quote Originally Posted by adz-a32 View Post
    Sludge, mate, don’t think I’m crazy but...

I used to play squash as a kid Got any other childhood hobbies of mine you wanna knock?

When I was a kid men were men , we went fishing , played football , went to heavy metal concerts with denim jackets and loads of patches on

Squash !

Sort yourself out

no I fully appreciate from the post above that its got its plus points , however fishing clubs bring disabled people close to nature in a more healthy way I would argue
    It's not a competition

Gaming isn't for you, that's fine. I guess if you didn't really grow up with it then it might be harder to fully appreciate

It's not a competition

Gaming isn't for you, that's fine. I guess if you didn't really grow up with it then it might be harder to fully appreciate
    maybe I just ain't bright enough 😕

I struggle with a zx81