+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: World Football XI - Under 21's vs Over 30's

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

World Football XI - Under 21's vs Over 30's

Who would win?

Forwards - Messi, Ronaldo & Lewandowski? vs Mbappe, Haaland & Felix? I think the 30's definitely got that but in my opinion starts getting closer elsewhere on the pitch

Is 30 the new 27?

Re: World Football XI - Under 21's vs Over 30's

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    Who would win?

Forwards - Messi, Ronaldo & Lewandowski? vs Mbappe, Haaland & Felix? I think the 30's definitely got that but in my opinion starts getting closer elsewhere on the pitch

Is 30 the new 27?
    30s would win comfortably IMO

30s would win easily. For me football has reached a ceiling players can't improve physically anymore and so it's just down to technical ability. Look at the teams best strikers
    Lewandoski, Messi, suarez, Ronaldo, all well over 30
    Plus players like cavani, ibrahimovic, vardy are still performing at a high standard

Everyone goes on about haaland and he does look a very good player but dortmund are 5th in a pretty poor league. I know he can't do it all by himself but we were being told how great sancho and Bellingham were as well.

Mbappe is currently 2nd in the French league.

Don't get me wrong these players are excellent but I'd be surprised if they post the numbers of the 4 at the top come the end of their careers

I think it might be the case for sport in general nobody has come through in tennis, American football still has a 42 year old man being a key figure. Rugby has changed the most in the last 20 years, we have got the last drop we can out of athletes.

there are interesting things to consider here, players are looking after their bodies much better in general and SOME players can continue well into their 30s, if they adapt their game to do so.
    At the same time, the weighted average age by minutes played in the premier league has been consistently getting younger foe a few seasons now, and I think we've seen the same in the championship too.
    That's probably driven by the emphasis of high energy pressing style tactics - it's a younger man's game.

While some players keep on playing at a very high level well into their 30s, many more do see a steep decline.

The reason I think the over 30s would win is they're a lot closer to the "peak years" (usually quoted as 27-30) so there are probably more players operating at that level still. There are elite u21 players, but they are probably rarer than elite 30 yr olds.
    On the other hand it's probably closer now than at any other time - more and more players are hitting elite levels at a younger age.
    10 years ago there would have been no question, the 30s would wipe the floor with the 21s every time - now it is at least a legit question.

I'm going with a 3-3-1-3, because it is fun.
    MY teams would be:

(Mbappe is 22 btw)

The Kids:
    Joao Felix Erling Haaland Jadon Sancho

Phil Foden

Alphonso Davies Jude Bellingham Reece James

Matthijs De Ligt Ibrahima Konate Wesley Fofana.

Meslier

Tonnes of wingers and attacking midfielders I could have included - hardly any of other positions.

the olds:

Ronaldo Lewandowski Mahrez

Messi

Alex Sandro Ngolo Kante Kieran Trippier

Stefan Savic Felipe Toby Alderwireld

David De Gea

To even things up a bit maybe Tomlin could be an over age player for the U21s???

Quote Originally Posted by cardiff55 View Post
    To even things up a bit maybe Tomlin could be an over age player for the U21s???
    Lee or Lily?

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    Lee or Lily?
    Either. The result would be the same. (Actually Lily has less fitness problems).