+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: BBC licence fee no more.

Re: BBC licence fee no more.

Quote Originally Posted by Shrewsbury Blue View Post
    The point is no one in this day and age should be forced to fund the BBC against there will. You have to pay a license fee even if you never watch the BBC and just watch Netflix and Amazon Prime. It is anachronistic in the 21st century to have a state funded TV Chanel even if some people think it is wonderful. It should be funded in the same way as Netfilx and other subscription channels. If the BBC is so wonderful it will survive and prosper as Netflix does.
    Comparing NETFLIX output with the BBC is ludicrous.

I think it is wrong to blame the entire BBC for the antics of one bloke. Martin Bashir was out to make a name for himself with his blockbuster interview. It seems obvious that Diana was duped but I think what she said was the reality of the situation anyway - the marriage was breaking down full stop.

First Team

Personally, I would do away with royalty everywhere. At least you can vote morons out of office (cf Trump). So the fact it involves the "Windsors" is irrelevant.

There's a pandemic on in case people hadn't noticed. For this minor story to have usurped that in the news agenda is plainly a bigger crime than some tomfoolery with bank statements.

I suspect a lot of the anti-BBC arguments in this thread are promulgated by those who have no idea how bad commercial broadcasters are in other countries. Casual viewing also suggests to me that C4, ITV and even Sky are better for having the BBC as a compeitior. I suspect if you live in the US, as I do, you would know exactly what I mean.

The point is no one in this day and age should be forced to fund the BBC against there will. You have to pay a license fee even if you never watch the BBC and just watch Netflix and Amazon Prime. It is anachronistic in the 21st century to have a state funded TV Chanel even if some people think it is wonderful. It should be funded in the same way as Netfilx and other subscription channels. If the BBC is so wonderful it will survive and prosper as Netflix does.
    Just under 44p a day, just to have no adverts alone it’s well worth it, not to mention Popmaster. Anyone else get frustrated when tired late at night watching commercial tv? You’re desperate to see the end of a programme but those bloody adverts just drag it out, I’d gladly lob in 50p (6p over) to watch uninterrupted

Sort of pinning the marriage problems on Martin Bashir is a bit rich isn’t it? Charles nipping off to service the still married Camilla Parker-Bowles and Diana acting like a Wynford regular may have had a bit to do with it.

You have to pay a license fee even if you never watch the BBC and just watch Netflix and Amazon Prime. .
    This is just flat out wrong, incorrect, lies, not true. Why say it?

https://www.radiotimes.com/technolog...0BBC%20iPlayer.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    because they tricked someone into an interview 25 years ago?
    Nah - it's cos the bilge they put out is garbage. Never watch tv any more. Haven't for a good five years in fact.

The licence fee is well worth it. I don’t watch the BBC for its news anyway and imo 13 quid a month for the content available wether that be sport, dramas, documentaries, its second to none. As others have mentioned their radio is top notch too.

To be fair all of those tabloids who did worse things than this on a daily basis and paid the people who chased her car into that tunnel all disappeared overnight when she died. The British public don't forget those sort of things quickly.

Thought this was the start of a Proclaimers song

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    The licence fee is well worth it. I don’t watch the BBC for its news anyway and imo 13 quid a month for the content available wether that be sport, dramas, documentaries, its second to none. As others have mentioned their radio is top notch too.
    Yes but you are missing the point. You may think the license fee is well worth the money but other people don't and they are forced to pay the licence fee whether they like it or not. You should have no right to force people to pay for a TV station they don't want to watch.

The BBC would still be available the only difference being you would pay for it by subscription like Netflix,Amazon Prime and Indeed the BBCs own Britbox. Being forced to pay for a TV Chanel on pain of imprisonment is like something they would do in North Korea it doesn't belong in the 21st century. Your argument is I like the BBC so everyone in the country should be forced to pay for it if they have a TV whether they like it or not even I'd they don't watch it.

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    This is just flat out wrong, incorrect, lies, not true. Why say it?

https://www.radiotimes.com/technolog...0BBC%20iPlayer.
    No it's not flat out wrong as the article points out if I watch ITV Channel four or Sky I still have to pay the BBC for the privilege even if I never watch the BBC.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post

“‘Defund the BBC’ was last night’s pontification from former Sun editor Kelvin Mackenzie, who once put Diana’s covertly recorded private phone calls on a premium-rate line so readers could ring in and have a listen.”

"The BBC makes a convenient scapegoat when in reality all of us were part of the ecosystem that destroyed Diana"

Quote Originally Posted by Bald Barry Bastad View Post
    Naga Munchetty despise that cow
    I'll say it for Sludge " bloody right wing nutter she is '

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Well let's be fair the media in that era we're well out of control as we're the public sucking on the nipple of scandal wherever it could be found , its all now transferred to social media

I generally watch telly for the sport of which there's feck all on the BBC.

Nowadays the BBC is a load of sh1te reality programs on subjects like sewing, jewellery, make up, drag artists, ballroom dancing.............

If the BBC ceased to exist overnight who'd b1oody care.

Quote Originally Posted by Bald Barry Bastad View Post
    Naga Munchetty despise that cow
    ..now there's a proper snobby ****..

Yes but you are missing the point. You may think the license fee is well worth the money but other people don't and they are forced to pay the licence fee whether they like it or not. You should have no right to force people to pay for a TV station they don't want to watch.

The BBC would still be available the only difference being you would pay for it by subscription like Netflix,Amazon Prime and Indeed the BBCs own Britbox. Being forced to pay for a TV Chanel on pain of imprisonment is like something they would do in North Korea it doesn't belong in the 21st century. Your argument is I like the BBC so everyone in the country should be forced to pay for it if they have a TV whether they like it or not even I'd they don't watch it.
    You don’t have to pay your TV licence, it’s optional. If you don’t watch anything on BBC just don’t pay the licence. Simples.

The truth is probably 99% of people who pay the licence watch BBC, or listen to the radio, or a podcast.

As someone says above you wouldn’t realise what you’ve lost until you lost it.

I’d gladly pay another 1% to make up for the minority who clam they never watch BBC.

No it's not flat out wrong as the article points out if I watch ITV Channel four or Sky I still have to pay the BBC for the privilege even if I never watch the BBC.
    It's just a tax. People pay taxes for all sorts of things they don't use. I like schools. Refuse collection. And some roads. I don't like prisons, but I'd rather they were taxpayer funded than privately owned.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Well let's be fair the media in that era we're well out of control as we're the public sucking on the nipple of scandal wherever it could be found , its all now transferred to social media
    Do you think things have changed? There was a chance to do something about media excess in 2011 with the Levenson Report when Murdoch went grovelling in front of that Committee, but there wasn't the political will to follow through on it, so we now have a situation where the BBC, once again, gets it in the neck from all sides (albeit deservedly this time), while others, just as culpable or maybe even more so, are free to stick the boot in while showing their complete hypocrisy all the while.

Although I didn't agree with everything in this programme, it really strikes home for me. I can remember that I had a couple of days off on the Monday and Tuesday after Diana died and until I get into work on the Wednesday and spoke to people who felt the same way as me, I genuinely began to wonder if there was something wrong with me because I found the reaction as reported disturbing and a little frightening;-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xFn...nnel=CaNANDian

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    You don’t have to pay your TV licence, it’s optional. If you don’t watch anything on BBC just don’t pay the licence. Simples.

The truth is probably 99% of people who pay the licence watch BBC, or listen to the radio, or a podcast.

As someone says above you wouldn’t realise what you’ve lost until you lost it.

I’d gladly pay another 1% to make up for the minority who clam they never watch BBC.
    This is simply not true if you watch any live program on TV you have to pay the licence fee. Look at the link to the Radio Times article. So if you never watch the BBC but do watch Sky ITV or Chanel four you still have to pay the licence fee even if you never watch the BBC. You are the second person peddling the lie that you don't have to pay the licence fee if you don't watch the BBC check your facts out and read the Radio Times article.

As for the nonsense that you wouldn't realise what you lost till its gone no one is saying abolish the BBC just make it a subscription chanel. You Would gladly pay extra for the minority that never watch the BBC. Good don't you realise that by making it a subscription Chanel that is exactly what you would be doing.

This is simply not true if you watch any live program on TV you have to pay the licence fee. Look at the link to the Radio Times article. So if you never watch the BBC but do watch Sky ITV or Chanel four you still have to pay the licence fee even if you never watch the BBC. You are the second person peddling the lie that you don't have to pay the licence fee if you don't watch the BBC check your facts out and read the Radio Times article.

As for the nonsense that you wouldn't realise what you lost till its gone no one is saying abolish the BBC just make it a subscription chanel. You Would gladly pay extra for the minority that never watch the BBC. Good don't you realise that by making it a subscription Chanel that is exactly what you would be doing.
    You're absolutely right and it's a disgrace; people are press-ganged into paying their TV licence even if they only watch live TV from sources other than the BBC. If they don't they get bombarded with threatening mail and unsolicited visits from the BBC's army of snoopers (Inspectors). Also, failure to pay the TV licence is a criminal act and not a civil action. Absolute horrendous abuse of power, democracy my arse?

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    It's just a tax. People pay taxes for all sorts of things they don't use. I like schools. Refuse collection. And some roads. I don't like prisons, but I'd rather they were taxpayer funded than privately owned.
    I agree and because it is a tax I object that it is paid at a flat rate. My blood boils when I think of how millionaires and poor people on benefits pay the same fee. It should be personally adjusted according to means.