+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Cardiff 1 Leicester 1, 12/03/2013

Cardiff 1 Leicester 1, 12/03/2013

I was reading an article about Jamie Vardy earlier today that mentioned he'd only scored four Championship goals for Leicester during his first season at the King Power Stadium.

That surprised me, so I took a closer look at Vardy's record that season and I also had a look at the respective line-ups when City played Leicester during the 2012/13 campaign. The second game between the sides on 12/03/2013 ended in a 1-1 draw at the Cardiff City Stadium, with Rudy Gestede netting an injury time equaliser for the Bluebirds.

The Cardiff squad that day didn't include a single player who is currently playing in the Premier League. Not one.

By contrast, the Leicester starting line-up included Kasper Schmeichel and Wes Morgan (both still with the Foxes), Michael Keane (now at Everton), Jeffrey Schlupp (now with Crystal Palace) and Chris Wood (now at Burnley), while Jamie Vardy (still at Leicester) and Harry Kane (currently at Spurs) came on as second half substitutes.

I don't know what, if anything, that says about player recruitment at both clubs, but I thought it was interesting all the same.

Re: Cardiff 1 Leicester 1, 12/03/2013

Eric the Half a Bee has competition

I think is confirms what we all know, that for years we have had no long term plan.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    I was reading an article about Jamie Vardy earlier today that mentioned he'd only scored four Championship goals for Leicester during his first season at the King Power Stadium.

That surprised me, so I took a closer look at Vardy's record that season and I also had a look at the respective line-ups when City played Leicester during the 2012/13 campaign. The second game between the sides on 12/03/2013 ended in a 1-1 draw at the Cardiff City Stadium, with Rudy Gestede netting an injury time equaliser for the Bluebirds.

The Cardiff squad that day didn't include a single player who is currently playing in the Premier League. Not one.

By contrast, the Leicester starting line-up included Kasper Schmeichel and Wes Morgan (both still with the Foxes), Michael Keane (now at Everton), Jeffrey Schlupp (now with Crystal Palace) and Chris Wood (now at Burnley), while Jamie Vardy (still at Leicester) and Harry Kane (currently at Spurs) came on as second half substitutes.

I don't know what, if anything, that says about player recruitment at both clubs, but I thought it was interesting all the same.
    What other teams from the 2012/13 campaign compare with Leicester

Quote Originally Posted by stan butler View Post
    What other teams from the 2012/13 campaign compare with Leicester
    In what respect, Stockholm Stan? Compare how?

Quote Originally Posted by RichardM View Post

I think is confirms what we all know, that for years we have had no plan.
    Fixed it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy the Jock View Post
    Fixed it.

Excellent as always TLG. It's also worth noting that, in the home fixture that Leicester bossed and we pinched 1-0, a certain Jesse Lingard came on as second half substitute for Leicester.

That's nothing, though. Look at all the top Premier League players we've given opportunities to as youngsters over the last decade.

Quote Originally Posted by RichardM View Post
    No I don't. TLG is far better with his research than I am and he's a far more interesting writer.

Perhaps it just means they had better players

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    No I don't. TLG is far better with his research than I am and he's a far more interesting writer.
    Both far better than me and both enjoyable to read.

Think the bigger story is how early Leicester started to get it right rather than us being a club focused on short-termism.

Our focus might have shifted with Harris and the scout we got from the unemployment line, or from Arsenal as Walesonline would say, but feels like it's been tweaked again with Mick in order to achieve more on the pitch.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    I don’t know if he is a better researcher than you… you’re certainly more proliferate, but I agree with you on the interesting front.

I don’t think it really says anything about player recruitment … i suspect if you compared the squads of any of the top 6 that year (or the rest of the division even) with today Leicester would be the stand out team… off the top of my head it’d only be players like Zaha, Deeney and Dunk who fall into the narrative… Hull City might make an interesting comparison

Leicester are arguably the best run club in the Prem.

But we did have a great laugh about Kermorgant though. I know they've won the league and the cup and played some amazing football over the last few years, but what a plonker. Am I right?

And we've both got Asian owners. So it's almost like we're the same.

In what respect, Stockholm Stan? Compare how?
    Your comparing Cardiff with Leicester but how did other teams from that season compare with Leicester?

Your comparing Cardiff with Leicester but how did other teams from that season compare with Leicester?
    Compare in what respect?

Compare in what respect?
    In terms of players currently playing in the premiership?

In terms of players currently playing in the premiership?
    Brighton, Burnley, Crystal Palace, Leeds and Wolves were all in the Championship in 2012/13. They currently have a lot of players playing in the Premier League.

Seriously, though, give me a little while and I'll have a look for you. You could have a look yourself if you had the intelligence, but I guess that's a forlorn hope.

Number of players currently playing in the Premier League who were in the squads of the Championship top six in 2012/13:

1. Cardiff City - 0
    2. Hull City - 5
    3. Watford - 1
    4. Brighton & Hove Albion - 2
    5. Crystal Palace - 1
    6. Leicester City - 8