+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wales Euro 21 squad announcement

Re: Wales Euro 21 squad announcement

Quote Originally Posted by Wash DC Blue View Post
    Could Colwill be a back up to Moore?
    I hope not, what a waste that would be.

Think Tom Lawrence didn't do himself any favours with his part in the incident with Keogh and Bennett at Derby. Based on what I saw of Sheehan in the game at Forest Green, I don't get the selection of Levitt, who has struggled to get starts at Charlton and a team that finished last but one in the Croatian League this season during loan spells - I wonder if Levitt would have made the squad if his parent club was, say, Burnley?

Feel sorry for Will Vaulks because a regular starter in a top ten Championship side should be getting in the squad when you consider some of the midfield players selected, but it seems pretty obvious that he has missed out because he is considered the wrong kind of player for Wales. All of which suggests that, if Rob Page ever becomes our manager, we may finally see the Vaulks, Ralls, Pack, Bacuna axis broken up - they'll probably all be over forty by then mind.

Vaulks is very unlucky not to go.

Let's be honest, Johnny didn't do enough at City this season so its baffling he would be picked ahead of some of the attacking players.

I think 23 out of the 26 are spot on.

I think we should have taken another striker and sacrificed a defender / midfielder.

Very pleased for Colwill... delighted in fact.

Great for him, Wales and City...

there's an argument that Ched Evans deserved a spot on merit

I wonder whether we'll stick to playing 3-4-3 with Ramsey available or revert to 4-2-3-1.

Vaulks isn't really a surprise given he hasn't been selected a couple of times recently. Clearly something going on there, that or the management team genuinely just don't like how he plays. Wales are never going to tiki taka their way out of a euros group though and I think he could have offered something.

Colwill is a massive surprise, likes of Levitt and williams are lucky but again based on previous squads I can't say I didn't see it coming.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Feel sorry for Will Vaulks because a regular starter in a top ten Championship side should be getting in the squad when you consider some of the midfield players selected, but it seems pretty obvious that he has missed out because he is considered the wrong kind of player for Wales.
    Either that or he's in the doghouse because of something that happened when he was last included. I should point out that's pure speculation based on nothing more than the fact it's distinctly odd that a midfielder who played 42 games and scored 5 goals in the Championship this season isn't being included in a Welsh squad.

In the book (Das Reboot) about Germany winning their latest World Cup it's revealed Sami Khedira is picked because how he can help team morale with his personality.

The other thing I saw mentioned on twitter which deserves highlighting is that more attention should be given to player's previous international performances.

I don't think Tom Lawrence's driving incident has come into it at all. Maybe we're looking at the tournament with one eye on the future and Tom Lawrence is a good Championship player who has done reasonably well at international level, including some big goals, and fits the system with the right skillset but others might be fresher after this past season and have a higher ceiling of talent.

It's going to be really interesting to see what formation we use and whether we vary it from game to game. On paper we're 3rd best in the group as a team and as individuals we might even be 4th best, but on paper Man City were better than Chelsea and we've recently had a very good result against FIFA's 11th in the world...

Quote Originally Posted by Pearcey3 View Post
    I prefer Lockyer to Mepham. The latter never looks confident and makes too many mistakes.
    Re Lawrence I suppose it depends upon the make up of the squad. Do we need three right backs?
    I prefer Lockyer to Mepham too but maybe Lockyer was unlucky with timing of his injury whereas Joe Allen was semi-lucky with his?

Quote Originally Posted by Pearcey3 View Post
    Tom Lawrence the big surprise omission. Very unlucky. Baffled by one or two names ahead of him.
    Im suprised hes been left out but unlucky is pushing it.

Lockyer replaces Lawrence in squad. Lawrence out through injury.

Quote Originally Posted by AfricanBluebird View Post
    Vaulks is very unlucky not to go.

Let's be honest, Johnny didn't do enough at City this season so its baffling he would be picked ahead of some of the attacking players.

I think 23 out of the 26 are spot on.

I think we should have taken another striker and sacrificed a defender / midfielder.

Very pleased for Colwill... delighted in fact.

Great for him, Wales and City...
    Won't need another striker.
    Think Moore will be on the bench and it will be Bale Brooks/James as attackers with Ramsey behind.
    Back 3 with wingbacks and Ampadu and Allen sitting.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    Lockyer replaces Lawrence in squad. Lawrence out through injury.
    Does rob us of a left-footed CB comfortable on the ball and a player in good form on international stage but gives a chance to probably the better defender overall and a player who played 4x90minutes in the campaign.

Would it be quite a nasty injury to stop him taking part in a tournament still 12 days away or does missing a good chunk of that preparation time do enough to make the switch? Really, really disappointing news for Lawrence and us either way.

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    In the book (Das Reboot) about Germany winning their latest World Cup it's revealed Sami Khedira is picked because how he can help team morale with his personality.

The other thing I saw mentioned on twitter which deserves highlighting is that more attention should be given to player's previous international performances.

I don't think Tom Lawrence's driving incident has come into it at all. Maybe we're looking at the tournament with one eye on the future and Tom Lawrence is a good Championship player who has done reasonably well at international level, including some big goals, and fits the system with the right skillset but others might be fresher after this past season and have a higher ceiling of talent.

It's going to be really interesting to see what formation we use and whether we vary it from game to game. On paper we're 3rd best in the group as a team and as individuals we might even be 4th best, but on paper Man City were better than Chelsea and we've recently had a very good result against FIFA's 11th in the world...
    With our B team

https://nation.cymru/news/gotta-visi...-around-wales/

26 FA Wales dragon monoliths, called DreigiauCymru, have appeared at Cadw sites this summer to represent the official Wales squad for UEFA Euro 2020.

The monoliths were installed at historical sites across Wales prior to the UEFA Euro 2020 squad announcement on Sunday. Each player chosen to represent Cymru at this summer’s tournament has been assigned a castle or historical site across the country, which fans can visit and log their progress as they aim to complete their digital sticker book on TogetherStronger.Cymru.

Fans will be able to visit the dragons throughout the tournament and share a selfie on social media using the #DreigiauCymru hashtag.

The FAW said that they see Welsh history, culture and language as a key part of its identity and the aim of the partnership is to raise awareness of our history whilst encouraging fans to visit the Cadw sites as part of an active lifestyle.

Cadw, the Welsh Government’s historic environment service, will also be offering FAW Red Wall members 20% off Cadw membership for the duration of the tournament.

Where are the dragons?

(locations listed within the link)
    Might be something for those with kids (or not) to do.

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    Does rob us of a left-footed CB comfortable on the ball and a player in good form on international stage but gives a chance to probably the better defender overall and a player who played 4x90minutes in the campaign.

Would it be quite a nasty injury to stop him taking part in a tournament still 12 days away or does missing a good chunk of that preparation time do enough to make the switch? Really, really disappointing news for Lawrence and us either way.
    I’d use Ben Davies on the left of three centre backs as long as he’s fit.