+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: A stat to put what Wales has done in this Euros into perspective.

A stat to put what Wales has done in this Euros into perspective.

I can't claim the credit for this stat which I've just read on Twitter, but it shows that, even if we lose tomorrow, as I'm expecting us to, it's still been a tremendous achievement to make it into the knock out stage of the competition.

Apparently, Wales have thirteen players outside of the top flight of domestic leagues in their squad which is the same number as the other fifteen teams left in the competition have between them.

Re: A stat to put what Wales has done in this Euros into perspective.

Great stat. Nuff said.

I wonder what the standard of some countries top leagues compare to the Championship?

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    I wonder what the standard of some countries top leagues compare to the Championship?
    Good point.

There was another graph that showed there are only 9 players from the squad - 4 of whom haven't started a game at the Euros - were at peak age (24-29). Half the squad is under 24. So to have this experience as part of a transitional era is quite the achievement and will hopefully prove invaluable.

Beat me to it although the stat is interesting is it measuring the actual standard of the league by country, think the Championship is seen as comparative as some of the European top leagues ??

I mean a Bundesliga side signed Glatzel in January.

How would Mainz do in the Championship?

Thats a top league as well without Scotland N Macedonia Sweden Denmark Turkey Switzerland etc etc.

Doesnt Cornelius play in Seri A?

Quote Originally Posted by stevo View Post
    Great stat. Nuff said.
    That’s what I thought, but it seems not.

I saw some work someone had done recently - comparing some metric before and after transfers between leagues to see how much it changes.
    The championship was up there close to a lot of the top leagues.

The German league was surprisingly low.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    That’s what I thought, but it seems not.
    You can keep some of the people happy for some of the time …….

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebirdman Of Alcathays View Post
    There was another graph that showed there are only 9 players from the squad - 4 of whom haven't started a game at the Euros - were at peak age (24-29). Half the squad is under 24. So to have this experience as part of a transitional era is quite the achievement and will hopefully prove invaluable.

If Wales lose tomorrow , then at least Keiffer Moore should have sufficient time to recover for the upcoming 2021-22 season. Every cloud has a silver lining.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I can't claim the credit for this stat which I've just read on Twitter, but it shows that, even if we lose tomorrow, as I'm expecting us to, it's still been a tremendous achievement to make it into the knock out stage of the competition.

Apparently, Wales have thirteen players outside of the top flight of domestic leagues in their squad which is the same number as the other fifteen teams left in the competition have between them.
    Why do you expect us to lose, out of interest?

We won't

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Dandruff View Post
    Why do you expect us to lose, out of interest?
    Denmark beat us pretty comfortably in two Nations League games, they were very impressive in losing to Belgium (better than they were in beating Russia) and a feeling that we're up against more than just a football team this evening.

In the blog piece I did on this subject, I did qualify that by saying that strange and magical things happen to Wales at the Euros and they've shocked me in the past.

I think we’ve been a bit cautious and passive so far, but I think tonight it’s a “let’s go for it” game.
    I hope we go for the jugular from the off - if we allow Denmark to settle they will beat us comfortably- we need to get at them early and try and blow them away.